Oregon 720-120 automatic chain grinder

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Being able to do rakers is a huge plus.
If it had cutter detection that would make it about perfect. Well, that and not having to count links.
*ETA* Although I guess could always set it to something like 200 drive links and then when you hear the difference you'll know it's done at least a full rotation? If it goes over a cutter or 20 again it's not going to be taking much off the second or third time around. This way you don't have to know how many links are in the chain.

But without cutter detection (knowing which is a left/right cutter or a skip link) you still have to manually check the chain for missing/skipped cutters and doubles, which is adding time to the process anyway. But probably for 90% of the chains it more than earns it keep, freeing up more time for the minority of 'funky' chains that come in?

Last edited:

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks. Can that do skip, semi skip chains and those with double cutters, automatically?
Having the separate raker disc means you can profile an incline or ramp to the final raker angle, although to be honest, I can't really tell a difference between flat and slanted rakers.
What do they cost? I'm assuming not cheap.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Can that do skip, semi skip chains and those with double cutters, automatically?
Having the separate raker disc means you can profile an incline or ramp to the final raker angle, although to be honest, I can't really tell a difference between flat and slanted rakers.
What do they cost? I'm assuming not cheap.
Cost is $20k +
It will do skip, but not semi skip....to the best of knowledge.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for that.
I guess if you've got the chains to justify it it stacks up but that's a lot of $ tied up in a machine until it pays for itself. Even if it could do all chains automagically and didn't need the operator to check chain lengths/types before the machine took over.

The T-Rex grinder has a sensor that is supposed to ID if the next cutter is left or right and it adjusts the cutting disc accordingly. I don't know how well it works though, but I wonder if something like that could also pick up the skips. It also doesn't do rakers unless you want to change discs or buy another machine. Don't need to key in the number of drive links either. A shame Markusson or Franzen haven't done something similar to the sensor, if it works.

We need a mash-up of the three models and we'd have the perfect grinder (round anyway) if it didn't cost the earth.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That last pic showing the drive pulley for your the advanced the chain is key for figuring out a diy version. What's this talk of a $500 automated grinder? Who's doing it? I think I could design one the Chinese could make for that much or one I could make for like 2k. But it would be a piece of enthusiast equipment, not something a guy 1 step above a Walmart greater could run in the back of a Steal dealer. Like it definitely wouldnt come with tooth detection standard, and you'd have to look at the wheel after every time it was dressed to make sure it dressed fully.