PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool ass machine.

Out of curiosity, and thinking in terms of revenue generation and return on investment, did you happen to consider a Silvey or Simington to offer square grinding at a premium vs. just going whole hog in for the automated volume approach on conventional chain? Seems like down your way there'd be a ton of takers on some square grind if they actually had someone to sharpen it. I don't know of anyone in north central Ohio who even sells square grind. I know no one grinds it.

(Or can this thing be set up to do square grind as well?)

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
affordable....$7k is much easier to swallow than 20k.

I was wondering that part.

But now you wont have the chance to hit those knuckles by mistake. :D
Yep had to use a butterfly closer strip yesterday. Just gets oh hum doing chains in the down time and sometimes not paying attention till. :eek::oops:

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@PogoInTheWoods square grinder is in my purchase plans for this year. more geared towards a play toy than revenue generation tho, I cant imagine any of my local customers paying the extra for it and i really dont want to deal with peeling .050-.075 off with a square grinder to sharpen a chain someone used as a trencher

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@CR888 the oregon auto cant do semi skip but it does have a setting for full skip....works out ok for me since semi skip chain isnt even on my radar.....I dont think local guys even know it exists and i sure aint gonna mention it

double cutters must be found and used as the starting point on this grinder, if not it will get ugly FAST....I already made that mistake once and broke a wheel, ruined a chain. thankfully it was a junk chain i was just using to learn on

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
double cutters must be found and used as the starting point on this grinder, if not it will get ugly FAST....
Good to know. Have run into a number of 'non-standard' chains through the years - have more than one spot in the loop with skips or double cutters.

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@CR888 the oregon auto cant do semi skip but it does have a setting for full skip....works out ok for me since semi skip chain isnt even on my radar.....I dont think local guys even know it exists and i sure aint gonna mention it

double cutters must be found and used as the starting point on this grinder, if not it will get ugly FAST....I already made that mistake once and broke a wheel, ruined a chain. thankfully it was a junk chain i was just using to learn on
I bet the wheel is more expensive than a loop!

I still don't like the way the wheel goes so forcefully down into the tooth.
Is there a setting to slow down the down force? o_O

Do You have an address of those local guys, I'll give them a hint that there is something called semi-skip. :p

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know it's still new, so I'll ask the easy question first:

1. Are you able to pretty much dial in any angles that you could on a manual grinder?

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And:

2. With the gullet feature are you able to program it to duplicate any of those 'multi-axial' grinds that Oregon and Husqvarna are so proud of for out-of-the-box performance?

Philbert

Last edited:

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know it's still new, so I'll ask the easy question first:

1. Are you able to pretty much dial in any angles that you could on a manual grinder?

Philbert
yes and no....its only 2 angle, the third 10* tilt that some chains call for is not possible

And:

2. With the gullet feature are you able to program it to duplicate any of those 'multi-axial' grinds that Oregon and Husqvarna are so proud of for out-of-the-box performance?

Philbert
no, its just an automated 511 grinder

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Philbert would love one of these grinders, even to just play with one for a few hours. Its a tough gig designing a machine to grind chains, they are far from a uniform product as they change throughout their cutting life. A bit like making a machine to give people a haircut, lots of variables. Though German member nohoff and his Franzen like each other, 100-150 chains per day is something I'd not want to contemplate with my knock-off 511.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was checking the mileage to just come visit @fordf150 and watch!

My local STIHL dealer just bought a Franzen to use on a bunch of long loops that they sharpen on a regular basis. I told them to bring it out front too!

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its a tough gig designing a machine to grind chains, they are far from a uniform product as they change throughout their cutting life.
That's why I asked about the angles.

Some customers are happy with basic angles. Some folks are more picky.

I know that there are a few different models of these Oregon / Markussen machines. And long time rumors of a $500 CNC model.

Soon, we will be able to dial in specs that our 511A grinders can't match.

Philbert

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who's gonna make me a full house loop so I can send it to Nate to get sharpened? :rolleyes:

I will help you out. If you are still needing one. Maybe one of those fancy new Oregon chains.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was checking the mileage to just come visit @fordf150 and watch!

My local STIHL dealer just bought a Franzen to use on a bunch of long loops that they sharpen on a regular basis. I told them to bring it out front too!

Philbert
Great idea, what mileage did You come up with?
Don't forget to bring a bucket full of oddball loops with You so Nate can show You how the grinder works! ;)

I'd probably have to take a week off to visit Nate, still an interesting idea. :)

I will help you out. If you are still needing one. Maybe one of those fancy new Oregon chains.
I might even take You up on Your offer!
I've been wanting a "play chain" for a long time and the only thing that intrigues me is a full house loop.
I know everyone says it'll cut slow, but for cookie cutting it could be interesting if not set up aggressively.
Also, it looks mean with all those teeth. :D

I have used a lot of Dolmar 099 branded Oregon 73 loops throughout the years, I like them.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just let me know. In full house you mean full comp? Tooth-space-Tooth?