High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Oregon 720-120 automatic chain grinder

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
affordable....$7k is much easier to swallow than 20k.

cant speak to any differences, never been around a franzen and honestly i did almost zero research on the oregon grinder...affordable option for an automatic grinder that will save me time....since I am now a one man show it was a no brainer to try something

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have two quick questions.

1) how long would you estimate it takes to pay off said machine before it starts making you money?

2) is there any way to adjust how much material is taken off each tooth? Seems like someone who just needs a “touch up” but doesn’t hand file won’t need as much grinding as someone who has a very dull, rocked chain. Does the machine auto compensate somehow, or do you just set it and forget it?
If the latter, how many grind jobs can you run on a chain before the chain is kaput and there’s nothing left to the cutters?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why didn't that stupid grinder sharpen the other tooth opposite to the one it did sharpen? o_O

After all it is a loop that can be used in revers as well, isn't it?! :p

I'd like the grinder more if it wouldn't just force down into the tooth but rather lower the wheel slower.

Looking good though, now I know whom to send my rocked loops for a sharpening! :D

Congratulations on Your new shop tool. :)

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
$7k/5=1400 chains to break even if you just figure what the grinder brings in but the ability to do other things while it grinds chains makes it a little more difficult to figure out at what point you break even and start making money.

its adjustable jsut like a regular grinder....take as much or as little as you like

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always thought that if I bought one, I would put it in the front of the shop to draw people in as an attraction. Put on some coffee and put out some popcorn. Upsell them while they watch.

Plus, some people will believe that a "computer sharpened" chain will cut 'better'. So some of the cost could be considered promotional.

Philbert

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Did I read that right, that you are charging 5 bucks a chain to sharpen?

Last I looked it was $12 and up at my local Stihlership.
local hardware store charges $4, amish charges $2, the other local saw shop is $5. 20 miles away in the "rich" area it's only $8.

on the old 511a i can do the average chain in 6 minutes, to make my hourly labor rate that works out to $5 a chain. plus its kinda hard to charge much more than that with my chain prices

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
local hardware store charges $4, amish charges $2, the other local saw shop is $5. 20 miles away in the "rich" area it's only $8.

on the old 511a i can do the average chain in 6 minutes, to make my hourly labor rate that works out to $5 a chain. plus its kinda hard to charge much more than that with my chain prices

You must have alot more logging going on in your neck of the woods then out here.

lwhaples

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here,it's $14. on the saw and $9.off the saw. Crazy

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The difference between Franzen and Oregon.
The Franzen detects the tooth side.
Oregon will switch dumb between left and right tooth.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to make $ sharpening chains.

Especially, if you do a good job.

Philbert
So true. If sharpening a well maintained chain you can zip through it in 3-6 minutes for a 12"-18" full comp chain. But a chain that needs depth gauges, gullets & maybe 2 passes as it more than just blunt can double or triple that time. I wonder how the auto grinder deals with semi skip chain or chains that have 2 left hand cutters in a row. I think the savings will be made by being able to do something else while a chain is being ground.