High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Options for snapped screw?

semi-chissel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Geniuses of OPE, what if anything can be done for a screw that is broken off in the exterior the cylinder?

I'm trying to rehab a '93 Husqvarna 45 and I found out why the screw that attaches an AV spring in between the handle/tank and the cylinder is missing... because most of it is inside the threaded hole.

It is a small screw, I doubt any EZ-Out exists that is small enough to work, but I hope I am wrong...

Would a machine shop be able to EDM it out? Anyone know about how much that would cost?

I really hope to get this fixed. If I can then all I have left is to find a muffler in good condition and it will be set.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seen a YouTube video of someone using alum and water to dissolve metal broken off in aluminum.Takes awhile but seems to work good.Dosn't hurt the aluminum.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have a pic?

Depending on how deep in the hole it is, a tig welder is what I use. Tig a bead to the screw, then grab bead with vise grips and remove it. The weld causes a lot of heat in the screw which also helps to free it.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trying to use an EDM on aluminum probably would not work . What might work on a tiny screw is to "peck" it out using a drill bit sharpened to an almost needle point .Worse comes to worse drill it out and tap it for the next size .
If it's broken due to shear force,snapped sideways it will most likely come out .If it was broken due to bottoming out in the bottom of a blind hole it will be a chore .

G

Greenerpastures

Have a pic?

Depending on how deep in the hole it is, a tig welder is what I use. Tig a bead to the screw, then grab bead with vise grips and remove it. The weld causes a lot of heat in the screw which also helps to free it.
Thats what I use, before I sold my wonderful Cebora tig welder,
the heat helps, then cool it quickly and it useally releases its grip,
Try tapping the stub you build up when its cold, head on as sharp as you
can or use a piece of steel in a small hammer drill to shock the stub, even have someone turn the stub / bolt as you shock it with the hammer drill,
if not, cut off the piece and start with the tig again, heat, cool, then heat
again with a gas welding torch with a small nozzle, don't heat the aluminium, protect the aluminium with a close fitting washer sitting over the stub you built up,
cool, shock again as you screw out.
May be a hollowed out cutter in a pillar drill, well aligned and clamped
woud be another option

Either way, I hope all works out

Regards, john

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats what I use, before I sold my wonderful Cebora tig welder,
the heat helps, then cool it quickly and it useally releases its grip,
Try tapping the stub you build up when its cold, head on as sharp as you
can or use a piece of steel in a small hammer drill to shock the stub, even have someone turn the stub / bolt as you shock it with the hammer drill,
if not, cut off the piece and start with the tig again, heat, cool, then heat
again with a gas welding torch with a small nozzle, don't heat the aluminium, protect the aluminium with a close fitting washer sitting over the stub you built up,
cool, shock again as you screw out.
May be a hollowed out cutter in a pillar drill, well aligned and clamped
woud be another option

Either way, I hope all works out

Regards, john
What's cool about the Tig approach is that the aluminum wicks heat away fast. It also maintains its shape in DC mode because of its oxide layer. Even though its melts at a lower temp than steel, it tends not to. You can literally add a dab of filler and blast it down in the hole without disturbing the aluminum much. Works on Mag as well.

If you post a pic and you are willing to pay shipping, I'd be glad to do it for you at no cost to if it looks like its doable.

semi-chissel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What's cool about the Tig approach is that the aluminum wicks heat away fast. It also maintains its shape in DC mode because of its oxide layer. Even though its melts at a lower temp than steel, it tends not to. You can literally add a dab of filler and blast it down in the hole without disturbing the aluminum much. Works on Mag as well.

If you post a pic and you are willing to pay shipping, I'd be glad to do it for you at no cost to if it looks like its doable.

Wow that's some fancy ideas. I don't have any welding knowledge or gear.
I will take a picture at home and try to post. I will take it to the GTG in central pa and see what the other experts think.

If I take the whole jug off will it screw up any gaskets or seals???

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

@semi-chissel
Here’s your best option, unless you get a different jug. If it’s doable, this guy is your huckleberry. Doc’s work is nothing but top notch.

semi-chissel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's broken down in the whole quite a bit, I believe it's going to be a bear to reach and remove. The welding methods discussed here all sound interesting. Wish I knew stuff about welding, seems like all the cool kids are doing it. Lol. :)

I have taken a nut and placed it on the screw/bolt and hit it with the mig, it will weld the nut to the bolt but won't weld to the alu/mag. put a wrench or socket on it and back it out.

semi-chissel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Seen a YouTube video of someone using alum and water to dissolve metal broken off in aluminum.Takes awhile but seems to work good.Dosn't hurt the aluminum.

Wow, I just watched one of those videos too! Impressive but I don't think I have a big enough pyrex beaker to put the whole jug into. It looks like you have to keep the water fairly hot for it to work, or can you just pour the alum liquid into a hole?

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Norseman left handed drill bits may work. I have one that is .050" and has an eze out designed for it. Most of the time the drill bit gets it out.
Yep, ive had real good luck using left twist drill bits on broken screws.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, I just watched one of those videos too! Impressive but I don't think I have a big enough pyrex beaker to put the whole jug into. It looks like you have to keep the water fairly hot for it to work, or can you just pour the alum liquid into a hole?
The one i saw he made a dam out of a beer can with a hole cut in the bottom,then siliconed it to the aluminum with the broken metal in the center.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one i saw he made a dam out of a beer can with a hole cut in the bottom,then siliconed it to the aluminum with the broken metal in the center.

North Country Ingenuity.

semi-chissel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Im at the penn state game. Find Duane and give it to him. Save shipping one way.

Sorry I lost track of everyone at the end as I was leaving. I don't have the jug removed yet anyway. I will see about the reverse drill bits and see if I can do something myself.

Don't be surprised if I need your expertise to bail me out! :) lol!

Just so everyone knows I did not break it, :) a different hill folk type did that, I am just trying to make it a functioning 45 "Special" again.

semi-chissel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Norseman left handed drill bits may work. I have one that is .050" and has an eze out designed for it. Most of the time the drill bit gets it out.

I should be able to just use a hand drill for the left hand bits correct? Or would this be a job for a drill press?