Mahle (Moly/Chome top): 280 grit

t

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just started too I haven't run them yet. Just got it a couple days ago . It does nice work I can tell you that. You cant get crazy with it though. It does a nice cross hatch if you use it right. I can tell you more after I run and compression test a few. 240 or 320 grit I think the cyl should be done with 280 but this is as close as I can get.

The ball hones I have I bought about 8 years ago. My favorite is the 320 grit. It will leave a nice smooth surface on the nikasil and on chrome cylinders and is not aggressive at all.
I have used them on a lot of different saws over that time and have never had any issues with plating flaking off or going through the plating. Slow and easy and do not over do it. I do a forward and reverse with the drill motor also. I want both sides of the ports to have the same smoothness. I also use regular ole 30w motor oil on the hone when I do the cylinders and then ultrasonic them when done with everything.

Let me know what you think when you get a chance to use them.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I use a soft 3m ball on a drill,makes a pretty hatch. I like to ruff the cylinder up some for new rings.

Lots of people don't but I always have,I get a quick and total ring seal.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK Jason, I need to know, what saw is that piston from??? Looks just like my 10 mm 044 piston, with the little wings on it. I bought a new piston for it, but the skirts were a touch shorter, and it did not have the wings, and the orig piston looked good (and was a B size), so I left it be.

What function do those wings serve??? I got other questions, but I'll wait!!! I've heard rumor they may move air around in a beneficial manner. Appreciate any comments you have.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That is a oem ks 660 piston that's turned around backwards.

A mahle 066 piston doesn't have them and isn't as wide or long.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ball hones I have I bought about 8 years ago. My favorite is the 320 grit. It will leave a nice smooth surface on the nikasil and on chrome cylinders and is not aggressive at all.
I have used them on a lot of different saws over that time and have never had any issues with plating flaking off or going through the plating. Slow and easy and do not over do it. I do a forward and reverse with the drill motor also. I want both sides of the ports to have the same smoothness. I also use regular ole 30w motor oil on the hone when I do the cylinders and then ultrasonic them when done with everything.

Let me know what you think when you get a chance to use them.
You put the drill on low speed?