High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Options for a Stihl MS460

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
2:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I run oem pistons in stihls unless I'm using a 288 piston then I use meteor.

I've not seen a cylinder yet with transfer that I couldn't salvage, I sand them,no acid.

The plating is very hard,hone or sandpaper it's hard to sand through it

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have done a few cylinders also and this is only the second one I could not get to clean up half way decent. The other one was a Jonsered 670.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meteor jug is a good option. Im putting one back together now and really the only thing I can complain about is the ex port. But its gonna be opened up anyway.image.jpeg

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey Redfin I have looked at some of the Meteor cylinders and I may just end up going that way if I do not come up with a good used one. We will see.
Thanks for the feedback on those.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'vehad some not clean up spotless but they still run fine

It is hard to see in the picture I posted but under magnification I am afraid the pitting is bad enough that there is a chance the nikasil might start to flake off
later on. And it is a large enough area that it could be a real problem.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When Al and I were porting the 046-D jug (correction, when I was watching Al port the 046-D jug) he had a meteor piston and I had an OEM piston. The Meteor 460 piston had wider skirts, so you may not want to run an OEM piston in a cylinder that was ported for a Meteor piston.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When Al and I were porting the 046-D jug (correction, when I was watching Al port the 046-D jug) he had a meteor piston and I had an OEM piston. The Meteor 460 piston had wider skirts, so you may not want to run an OEM piston in a cylinder that was ported for a Meteor piston.

Good point. I had not thought of that.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did the guy claim that old cylinder?

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What material ball hone do you know? Aluminum oxide?

The ball hone I have is called Flex Hone. The Packaging does not say what it is made from but just describes all the different types of hones they have available.

The Silicon Carbide, Aluminum Oxide, Zirconia Alumina, Boron Carbide, Tungsten Carbide, Levigated Alumina, and Diamond.

The hone I have is what is recommended for surface finishing, cross hole deburring and edge blending.

I like the fact that it will smooth the edges of the ports after porting. The one I have is the BC series.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ball hone I have is called Flex Hone. The Packaging does not say what it is made from but just describes all the different types of hones they have available.

The Silicon Carbide, Aluminum Oxide, Zirconia Alumina, Boron Carbide, Tungsten Carbide, Levigated Alumina, and Diamond.

The hone I have is what is recommended for surface finishing, cross hole deburring and edge blending.

I like the fact that it will smooth the edges of the ports after porting. The one I have is the BC series.
Maybe a paint code is on the shaft mine is black which is Aluminum Oxide which is what is recommended for nikasil 2 cycles. Pm inbound for you.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So Lone Wolf have you used some of these ball hones on any chain saw cylinders and if you have what grit do you use and how do you like the results.
You know give an opinion.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So Lone Wolf have you used some of these ball hones on any chain saw cylinders and if you have what grit do you use and how do you like the results.
You know give an opinion.
Just started too I haven't run them yet. Just got it a couple days ago . It does nice work I can tell you that. You cant get crazy with it though. It does a nice cross hatch if you use it right. I can tell you more after I run and compression test a few. 240 or 320 grit I think the cyl should be done with 280 but this is as close as I can get.