Options for a Stihl MS460

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a ball hone they are too rough and take the plating off

I appreciate the advice but I have used a ball hone plenty of times on chain saw cylinders.

I found my muriatic acid and have a OEM piston on order so as soon as I get the chance and some warm weather I will clean up the cylinder.
Thanks for putting me in the right direction.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I worked on the cylinder today and it is too far gone for me to use. It has some bad pitting above the exhaust port and some vertical grooves that will not come out. I stopped working on it as soon as I could see how bad it was. I will find something else.

Last edited:

sefh3

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Do you think it was straight gassed or seals leaking?

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea I have seen it thanks. Just call me old school. I have a ball hone also that I use for a final finish and please I know all about the pit falls of using a ball hone.
I have used them plenty of times on all kinds of cylinders and have never had a problem. You just have to take it slow and easy and not get aggressive.
What material ball hone do you know? Aluminum oxide?

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I used some acid and scotch brite to get most of the aluminum transfer out of the cylinder. I then did a quick pass with the ball hone 320 grit. It leaves a very nice surface. I spent about 45 minutes on it and realized it was not going to clean up good enough. I like using the acid because it will reveal any flaws that are in the cylinder.

IMG_0864.JPG IMG_0865.JPG

Last edited:

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do you think it was straight gassed or seals leaking?

I think it was the seals. The intake side has no transfer on it. The person I got this saw from does a tree service and he will just flat out run these saws
with cutters that are bent at the tip from being rocked. He is really rough on his equipment. I sharpened 22 of his chains and almost all of the 25" bar chains had cutters that were bent at the tip where the side plate and top plate meet. Plus all the rakers had to be lowered on all the chains.

For my efforts I got the saw plus 80 dollars. I was hoping the cylinder would be ok but I will not lose any sleep on over it. I will find something else.
I have already replaced the seals and I have a new intake coming also. So I will fix it even if I use a meteor cylinder with the OEM piston.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picture doesn't show much. It looks about like one I'm running.

If it was just exhaust side like that I bet it was tuned lean or just got over heated

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If it was just exhaust side like that I bet it was tuned lean or just got over heated
Dull chain, not knowing when to let it cool and a dummy operator will burn them up every time!

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

If looking at the picture on the left side above the exhaust port you can see a lot of black specs. That is all pitting in the plating of the cylinder.
The aluminum transfer was really heavy in that area and really started to dig in. I can really feel it when I rub my finger over it and when I looked at with some magnification I could see it was pitted.

I think he over heated it because the plastic around the chain brake was starting to melt. I think the heat could have weakened the seal also.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run some like that on my stuff. I'm on a phone so the picture is tiny.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I could run the ball hone a lot more in that cylinder and smooth it out even more but would rather just get something else.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could run the ball hone a lot more in that cylinder and smooth it out even more but would rather just get something else.
Post for a wanted used OEM one on this site.