High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Options for a Stihl MS460

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I am working on a MS460 that is for me and not for flipping.
The piston and rings are toast from scoring but I believe the cylinder is salvageable.

So I have been looking on line and can see there is all kinds of ways to go on this thing.
I can get a meteor piston with caber rings and use the original cylinder.
I can get any combination of cylinder and piston and rings by names I am not familiar with.
I can also see that there is 54mm I believe cylinder and piston combo by names I am not familiar with.

So what have some of you guys used with success and had run good afterwards.

If I use the stock cylinder I will open the ports some and shape the upper transfers toward the intake.
I will also measure the squish and see where it is and see if I can lower it some.

Thanks for any advice guys.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'd use a oem piston and use the oem cylinder for certain, what are you looking for from the saw?

Mine has a popup 064 piston and is a great runner. 100 115 78 200lbs of compression. Nothing fancy about it at all.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not looking for anything fancy. Just a woods port with some parts that are reliable is all.
The Meteor piston and cylinder do not look to bad and they seem to have a good reputation so far.
Not looking to do a pop up maybe just drop the cylinder by elimination the base gasket. I have not measured the squish yet so will wait and see on that.
I have done a lot of other saws just not a Stihl MS460 so just seeing what others have done. Why re-invent the wheel.

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
6:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just built 2 460's and 1-046 and all the cylinders were good so i installed a meteor piston. So far so good on the 460. I had he 046 ported and have not ran it yet. I use meteor pistons on many of my builds and so far have had no complaints. Good stuff

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes Mike I have seen that price. That is not bad.

I was just being a little lazy and so I need to find my acid and clean up the cylinder. Sounds like oem is definitely the way to go.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have used acid in the past with some scotch brite and have not had any issues. Thanks for the warning though I do not want to be buying another OEM cylinder if I can help it. I usually dab the bad spots with a q-tip and then scotch brite it.

What grit paper do you guys use. Like 320 in that range.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Randy has a great video of how he cleans up a jug

Here's the link

http://opeforum.com/threads/how-to-remove-aluminum-transfer-without-acid.357/

Yea I have seen it thanks. Just call me old school. I have a ball hone also that I use for a final finish and please I know all about the pit falls of using a ball hone.
I have used them plenty of times on all kinds of cylinders and have never had a problem. You just have to take it slow and easy and not get aggressive.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From everything I have heard, the OEM cylinder is the way to go, and either OEM or Meteor pistons. FYI, the Meteor piston has wider skirts than OEM if that makes a difference with your porting.

I have also seen that factory cylinder port timing on these saws varies quite a bit, so many of them benefit quite a bit from porting.

I have a 460 with an 046-D jug that Randy ported that will pull a 36" bar like nobody's business. I really like it!

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't use a ball hone they are too rough and take the plating off