AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
1:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My son and I are fixing up a double cab solid front axle hilux . It’s a weekend truck though , I want to get a later model one with a 3rz as my daily driver.

Those solid axles are pretty sought after here. Everybody loves those trucks. Toyota is known as the Japanese Mercedes to Greeks.

A friend of mine has an early-mid 90's extended cab. That truck deserves a medal. He has beat that thing to death for nearly 400,000 km. Original engine, gearbox and axles. Only maintenance he's done on it is u-joints, fuel pump and filter/oil changes. I changed his oil last time and it was like tar. He really uses the pisssss out of it and it just keeps on running. Damn fine vehicle, if you ask me.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
1:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And, case in point, my friend comes over and says "Danny, the oil cap flew off and all the oil blew out. Can you fix it?"

I got it all sorted and filled with oil. Never missed a beat. Thing runs like it always has. Tough, tough little rig this thing is. IMG_20180619_215011.jpg

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And, case in point, my friend comes over and says "Danny, the oil cap flew off and all the oil blew out. Can you fix it?"

I got it all sorted and filled with oil. Never missed a beat. Thing runs like it always has. Tough, tough little rig this thing is. View attachment 129263
My Dad had one like that when he died. I drove it for a couple more years till the head gasket went 379,000 miles on it and it will still start and run,but the water comes out the side pretty fast.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where I lived in California those Toyota trucks were very common. From the early seventies models right through to the Tacomas. I know guys who've paid $4-5k for a well used mid 80s-90s 4x4 with 250,000 miles. Seems crazy to me, especially when you figure that most of those aren't exactly highway miles. Lots of Jeep trail driving and lots of big nasty potholes on what they do consider to be "roads". It's the kind of driving that makes front end work an annual requirement for many vehicles. But those Toyotas really do hold up even under that kind of abuse. They're very capable off road and the ones with independent front ends are even reasonable at 65 on the highway.

The other thing that really demonstrates how sought after they are is what I'd see furter South in CA. You'd see a 2wd Toyota truck pulling a second 2wd truck with a tow bar. And usually both of them would have a second bed stacked on top of the bed. Generally there'd be about 4-5 rigs like this in a row headed south. My understanding is that these guys were up in CA buying trucks and taking them to Mexico. I guess the ones up here must have had an easier life than what they could buy down there. At only 150-200k on American roads they were just getting broken in. :)