One case tool to rule them all!

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bad ass Matt! Simple, strong, efficient and effective.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
10:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the idea :)

Glad you think of them as I do hehe.

I really think of these as a game changer for anyone doing rebuilds.

The rods are here...and they ARE badass. Very nicely machined. Thanks @Derf !!

Last minute testing now. Gonna send out contacts asap.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Emails have gone out for everyone who expressed interest in the initial run of 19.

For those that want a 2nd gen set, let me know and I'll put you on that list. For those that want to be on the backup list for gen 1 tools in case anyone backs out let me know that too!

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I think this is gonna be how its gonna be...

I think I'm scrapping the idea for an "adapter" for the 2nd run. There will just be a new sleeve IN ADDITION to the existing sleeve. So, one "small" sleeve and one "large (current)" sleeve.

Gonna get it prototyped and see where we go from there.

This also means that the current threaded rods will continue to be useful. I'm really trying to design around them if possible. We'll see how it goes!

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure I missed this somewhere in the threads about this tool but, what are the common thread pitches for the clutch side LH threads? While I'm asking, what are the common flywheel nut thread pitches?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just ordered the metal for the gen 2 sleeves! the existing sleeve will be come the "large" sleeve and the gen 2 sleeve will be the "small" sleeve

the 3 clutch side threaded rods will remain the same, and the flywheel side threaded rod will become a 5/8" rod instead of 3/4" thick. the large and small sleeves will both be able to use this rod, and the small sleeve will be able to get into tighter spaces.

gonna have Fred machine up some more rods, and i'll get cracking on the sleeves!

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
10:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Just ordered the metal for the gen 2 sleeves! the existing sleeve will be come the "large" sleeve and the gen 2 sleeve will be the "small" sleeve

the 3 clutch side threaded rods will remain the same, and the flywheel side threaded rod will become a 5/8" rod instead of 3/4" thick. the large and small sleeves will both be able to use this rod, and the small sleeve will be able to get into tighter spaces.

gonna have Fred machine up some more rods, and i'll get cracking on the sleeves!
Was it just getting into the tighter areas that prompted the small sleeve for gen 2 size as it sounds universal for the small and large sleeve ,is this correct

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, the problem is that stihl has super tiny flywheel side seal pockets for their smaller saws, in particular the 044. its 19mm. i was trying to use exclusively 3/4" rod and one sleeve, but 19mm is 3/4" ... leaving no sleeve thickness. so there has to be at least 2 sleeves. one small for the stihl flywheel side pockets, and one original (large) sleeve for just about everything else.