One case tool to rule them all!

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easy enough to make em as you need em. There's an ebay guy selling a home brew Husky type for Stihl threading at about the same price as the Husky tools, too.

Thing about Matt's is it's a set. But with that convenience also comes the expense. There's also the production cost since there's another guy involved in the tooling. Even so, you buy all the individual tools for both Stihl and Husky and you're talkin' similar money..., if this even happens to be your method of choice for assembling cases. I personally use a coupla bux worth of extended length case screws to draw em together and haven't had a problem yet, but that's just me.

And I'm pretty sure Walt has a thread somewhere for his stuff already. He's not pushing it hard, just offering to build a few here and there from what I recall and what I've seen on his channel. I think it might even be the thread listed at the bottom of this page...

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Well, just read through some of the last couple of pages of this thread. Interesting. So...I had some spare time several weeks ago and was in a situation where I had access to a small lathe and mill. So I made me a set of these crank tools. But I did something a little different. I did some hocus pocus and was able to make a 3/4" threaded rod that would work with a special made sleeve so that I can do an 026 FW side bearing. So....I only need one threaded rod for my kit! It may be a while, but I will try to post pics of it soon!

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh and, yes, it was a lot of extra work for very little payback.....probably not worth the effort......but in the famous words of Johnny Cash...."I'll have the only one there is around!" ;):D:D

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ooops...correction.....I only need one SLEEVE! Still need all the threaded rods to get the thread types and pitches covered for all the different cranks!

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am interested to see it. I always have thought that adapters would be the way to go to minimize wasted material if nothing else.
One main sleeve. One main (and shorter) rod. Adapters for the various thread and bearing bore sizes. Make available as a complete kit or have the adapters available as addons to a basic kit with a main rod and sleeve with a couple of adapters for a particular saw.
Certainly a more marketable approach with a much lower entry level price point for someone who doesn't need a whole kit but still wants to explore using this method for case assembly. The whole kit concept simply prices it out of range for lots of folks. I know it does for me.

Last edited:

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its been 2+ months since I have heard from my machinist, Kelby. @twinstaged

I think he has done a fantastic job of machining and on multiple occasions come through in a pinch, but 2 months of no communication is unacceptable in this business relationship.

I have called the phone numbers I have for him multiple times, texted, and emailed. Nothing. No response.

He has my money, taps and raw materials. He owes me a very significant amount of product....which of course would help fund the next round of tools.

I'm moving on, but now have even more limited resources to work with. I've literally just gotten cut off at the knees, again. :chainsaw: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

If anyone has suggestions, or can recommend a machinist ....I'll listen. I've got some leads locally so i'll see where that goes.

For those that have waited and are waiting on product.... I've been patient and I've thrown money at the problem. No matter what, I can't seem to get ahead here.

I'm very very frustrated. :BangHead::BangHead:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
12:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I think he has done a fantastic job of machining and on multiple occasions come through in a pinch, but 2 months of no communication is unacceptable in this business relationship.

I have called the phone numbers I have for him multiple times, texted, and emailed. Nothing. No response.

He has my money, taps and raw materials. He owes me a very significant amount of product....which of course would help fund the next round of tools.

I'm moving on, but now have even more limited resources to work with. I've literally just gotten cut off at the knees, again. :chainsaw: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

If anyone has suggestions, or can recommend a machinist ....I'll listen. I've got some leads locally so i'll see where that goes.

For those that have waited and are waiting on product.... I've been patient and I've thrown money at the problem. No matter what, I can't seem to get ahead here.

Sounds like a road trip is needed.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I can machine some when I have time. Send me some drawings or part files. I should have all the RH taps already, and I have a few of the LH ones needed.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can machine some when I have time. Send me some drawings or part files. I should have all the RH taps already, and I have a few of the LH ones needed.

Just FYI, Matt will keep you busy! When I offered to get his business venture off the ground I thought I would just machine a few sets, but the demand was there and he needed 20 sets (80 rods machined) every few weeks. Eventually it became too much for me, and so we agreed to hand the responsibility off to Kelby. Too bad on how it ended up.

I don’t think he needs a helping hand, he needs a full time machinist looking for a part time job.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well hello stranger....