One case tool to rule them all!

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
2:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgive me if this question has been asked already and I've just missed it...

Given the minimal overall travel required to draw a case together, is there any particular reason these tools are so long? Seems to me twice as many tools could be made from the same amount of stock with no discernable difference in the effective/desired function..., maybe even three times as many. Really doesn't need to be a whole lot longer than one of the Stihl threaded flywheel pullers. More machining cost overall, but it would easily be offset by double or triple the sales from the same investment in materials. Could maybe even find a more friendly price point while still maintaining reasonable margins.

Just seems like a lot of wasted material involved for what these tools are actually designed to do.
probleby both yes and no :)
When we design one universal system longer bolts then needed is a good thing, if we take 372 as one example it has a 1.37" sleeve and 2.37" long bolts, while other kits normally has a 2" sleeve and 2.37" long bolts.
As you see there is a lot to consider making one universal kit system.
I like to design tools, luckily I got a few friends standing on CNC machines, but with the new prices from Husky in 18th its defently not worth it...

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, I found a video I made a while ago but only just uploaded to youtube. It was from back when I was making the rods for Matt (before TwinStaged took over making the rods and sleeves). Hopefully it will be interesting for some of you to see how these are made.

Sorry it was shaky- while making the tools with only one hand I held my iPhone with my other hand to film.

twinstaged

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yep I did not properly estimate how many times you have to handle each rod. They get really labor intensive. The way I’m setup now I use a jig block for the cross holes. 3 spindles all going at once. Cross hole is drilled with a bushing in the block, pull the bushing and the next spindle will chamfer both sides of the hole, and the last spindle taps with the tapping head. Tried to make it so any joe blow could stand at the drill presses and run through them with barely any setup time.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep I did not properly estimate how many times you have to handle each rod. They get really labor intensive. The way I’m setup now I use a jig block for the cross holes. 3 spindles all going at once. Cross hole is drilled with a bushing in the block, pull the bushing and the next spindle will chamfer both sides of the hole, and the last spindle taps with the tapping head. Tried to make it so any joe blow could stand at the drill presses and run through them with barely any setup time.

That’s cool, we have those tapping heads for drill presses. They work well, I just didn’t want to make a jig to hold the rods on the press since I had the dividing head permanently mounted on one of our Bridgeport’s. It looks like the bulk of the way you make them is on a mill (or drill press) with jigs. Is that right? I was doing most of this in a lathe.
There are a couple process steps I didn’t show, maybe because I changed things up a little as I went through the batches I did. I was chamfering the 3/8-16 rod hole for one. I was first doing it with a counter sink, but I found it was faster and 90% as good to just free hand it on a grinding wheel on the pedestal grinder.
When Matt was giving me orders for 20 kits it was 80 rods to crank out. You start looking for all kinds of ways to speed up production.

twinstaged

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah doing all the tapping in the mill/ drill presses. Process everything to length from the bandsaw to the lathe just as you did. I have a stop in the head stock and using a collet chuck. Face everything to length and then move to the cross holes. Basically do all the steps they all need first and then run through and drill them on the lathe for their tap sizes. If I could only speed up the drilling I’d be set. I was power tapping the first sets on my lathe too, but it’s not friendly for fast chuck direction changes.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Happy new year to yall. Who knows what the new year brings for the tools...but clearly there's still lots of work involves

Gonna keep cranking away on this...big thanks to both Fred and Kelby for being instrumental in getting this off the ground!

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great watching these go together!! A great usable tool, that will last many projects!! I will be making a foam lined case for my kit, and will work on getting the updated pieces as they come available!!

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SHIPPING DAY! Everyone on the list for the last batch of 12 has been shipped! including one to Canada and one to Australia! yey!

for the ones in the lower 48, your expected arrivals are either friday or saturday this week!

for those waiting on the batch of 20 ... 6/20 are already spoken for ....just waiting on Kelby to get that batch done. Also waiting on the taps to arrive at Kelby's for the 661/ old 266/61 rods :)

-Mattyo

Harleydog

Life's too short, grab it by the balls
Local time
6:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Mattyo

Recieved my set of tools yesterday and got use them this am.

That has to be the easiest, simple way to pull crank in and put cases together. Less than 15 minutes and never using them before the case was pulled together and bolted up . Thank you

Anyone that is interested or thinking about a set, it makes things so simple, best money I have spent on a set of tools.

Now you just need to get your logo stamped on them.

C

Attachments

• 20180107_161727.jpg
    20180107_161727.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 18

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mattyo

Recieved my set of tools yesterday and got use them this am.

That has to be the easiest, simple way to pull crank in and put cases together. Less than 15 minutes and never using them before the case was pulled together and bolted up . Thank you

Anyone that is interested or thinking about a set, it makes things so simple, best money I have spent on a set of tools.

Now you just need to get your logo stamped on them.

C

Are these things on sale yet?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you mean "in stock" .....no.

Still in preorder. Can't make them fast enough.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
need help, can anyone double triple check for me...

stihl ms440 crank, what sizes? flywheel is m8x1.0 I think, clutch side m10x1.0? I don't have a 440 crank here to check

I have a request for a 440 specific rod....