High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Onan utility engines

waitingoneden

Active OPE Member
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any knowledge of Onan utility engines? I ask because I was cleaning out an old storage area at my shop and ran across two single cylinder and one two cylinder Onan engines that were originally used as power units for our bucket trucks. They're missing quite a few parts, some internals, covers, I think all of the heads are missing and I don't believe I saw an intake or carb on any of the three. I'm always tinkering with something and am curious if parts could be had for any of these units and if they'd even be worth the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
12:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Onan was out of southern mn made lots of gen sets and motors for all uses. They were real big into camper gen sets and welder engines. Cummins diesel bought them out a number of years ago and has since discontinued the line. Parts can still be had but are getting more expensive than they used to be because the supply is getting used up. They always were expensive to work on.

waitingoneden

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Onan was out of southern mn made lots of gen sets and motors for all uses. They were real big into camper gen sets and welder engines. Cummins diesel bought them out a number of years ago and has since discontinued the line. Parts can still be had but are getting more expensive than they used to be because the supply is getting used up. They always were expensive to work on.

That's what I'd seen in the research I'd done. I might see if I can find enough stuff to patch one together just to tinker with. Thanks for the reply and info.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry if I sound like I was advising against fixing one I have an emerald 4000 generator that has intermittent spark. Onan made excellent stuff in my opinion but just a little pricey to fix. All what a person wants to spend. I'll be researching the intermittent spark issue because I need to fix the generator for my parents trip next summer.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an old Onan signal corps gen set probably 50's vintage that has an in line 4 cylinder water cooled engine .The 7500 watt Onan in my parents motor home used a 3 cylinder water cooled Yanmar diesel .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might also mention Onan was kind of a secondary builder for other companies who sold the products under their name .Miller and Airco sold 200 amp welder generators that were in fact Onans with 18 HP air cooled pancake two cylinder engines .

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This emerald 4000 looks to have a single cylinder onan on it. In a mid 90's 30' Winnebago class c. From what I found some had low oil shut off and others didn't. I wasn't able to find the switch for a low oil shut off. So now I need to research more. I like onans also my uncle has an old craftsman welder with a 16hp onan. Need to plug leads into different sockets to adjust amps. No rewind wrap a rope around flywheel. Runs great but from what I've heard the 16hp are a little harder to get parts for so I hope it never quits because it's one of the smoothest welders I've ever used

waitingoneden

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry if I sound like I was advising against fixing one I have an emerald 4000 generator that has intermittent spark. Onan made excellent stuff in my opinion but just a little pricey to fix. All what a person wants to spend. I'll be researching the intermittent spark issue because I need to fix the generator for my parents trip next summer.

No worries there. I understood what you were saying.