High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Olive for axe handles?

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
10:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I've got myself a few nice salvaged axe heads been wanting to make handles for. Was wondering if anyone knows if olive would be strong enough for about a ~4lb head. Have used it in hammers for years and makes a wonderful handle that significantly reduces jarring / impact vibration.

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No experience with Olive trees. Here in Louisiana we use handles made from native hickory. Since you've used them in hammers they'll probably work in axe heads. I'm not sure of the hardness of the wood so I can't really say if they're be durable as hickory.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I say go for it, on the condition that you share some photos! Olive wood is beautiful

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
10:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've got myself a few nice salvaged axe heads been wanting to make handles for. Was wondering if anyone knows if olive would be strong enough for about a ~4lb head. Have used it in hammers for years and makes a wonderful handle that significantly reduces jarring / impact vibration.
Is it "wild olive" or is it a real fruit bearing tree. We have quite a few "wild olive" plants nearby. Never thought of it as "hard" comparatively to hickory (traditionally used)
Be glad to hack a few limbs off if anyone wants some.