Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like those saws but I never had to do much to them just fuel lines and such somebody that's been into them more will be along .if you were in the US I would say keep looking for a newer saw but that might be a great deal in your country.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
10:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the older metal badge 044's?

One i can think of is the 10mm wrist pin but if its used for casual firewood cutting, is this a major problem?

If they have a weakness, I am sure it can be upgraded/fixed :)

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It could either be a 10mm or 12mm wrist pin. If you search around there's a serial # cutoff date.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like those saws but I never had to do much to them just fuel lines and such somebody that's been into them more will be along .if you were in the US I would say keep looking for a newer saw but that might be a great deal in your country.

$550 is a good price in USA for one in similar shape. $550 is an outstanding price in AUS for that saw. From what members from AUS have said over the years about new saw prices..... Id snatch it in a hurry if it all checks out. Ive had a slew of Stihls and the only ones I have regretted cutting loose were the 044. It could easily be argued that they are the greatest saw across the board that Stihl has ever made.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks very much for the input folks

I have contacted the seller and he said he has someone dropping in to do a trade on something for it but if that falls through he will contact me.

Odds are I won't get it

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the info I've run a few of them and always wanted one but could never find one in decent shape the loggers around here beat them to death I just meant I usually find newer generation saws in better shape for around that price.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Woo hoo!!!!

I pestered old mate into selling it to me for $500

I have a bad feeling my CAD will make it difficult to hand it over to my brother after I rebuild it, but he is paying for it I guess.

If it is a 10mm model, is this a problem?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 10 mm 044s are my favorite, especially if it has a KS jug. A few do at home mods and it will run like you won't believe for an un ported saw.

In order: low restriction air filter (like an HD-2), dp muff cover, timing advance, and base gasket delete. (Make the tune a tad richer)

So some, or all of these at home mods, and it will likely be the best all around saw you have ever owned.

Congrats on your purchase, and good luck with it.