Reaction score

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Should have went all out and did a copper pipe too
Good morning Mike, nice idea! I thought it too! so that better in color and easy to make, and the best thing would be that copper shows thermal conductivity to the heat given by the exhaust gas! But a little too heavy for this heavy old girl, lol.
Chy

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello Randy, first of all I should like to identify if you are the RandyMac who;
guided me to CSCF site some four or five years ago when I was first jumped in to AS site and did not know where I was,
loves iron horse and sometimes makes a long run on 101 from Eureka, northern California,
loves especially the old merican yellow saw with nearly 90cc displacement which is called Super 250, and for which he organizes a Super 250 Club?
and finally who is more like a minstrel on a iron horse than a testy minded iron man on a iron horse?

Anyways appreciate your welcome and words, but as far the first line of your comment I got mixed up with your words and do not find a better analysis on this line my friend, do you mean that the expression was technically wrong, or poetically wrong, sociologically wrong or perhaps grammatically?

Incidentally Lee H may know this I think.
Thanks Chy

I believe it was meant to be a pun or joke. You used the acronym CAD meaning, "computer assisted design," but on this forum people use CAD to mean, "chainsaw acquisition disorder." People use "CAD" to describe owning or purchasing more chainsaws than they could ever realistically need. On this forum, having "CAD" is a good thing :p.

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I believe it was meant to be a pun or joke. You used the acronym CAD meaning, "computer assisted design," but on this forum people use CAD to mean, "chainsaw acquisition disorder." People use "CAD" to describe owning or purchasing more chainsaws than they could ever realistically need. On this forum, having "CAD" is a good thing :p.
Hahahaha, thank you very very very much for this information on that serious disease in relation with saws. Yes I am so much afflicted with that chronic disease ever since I got an old yellow devil called 10-10A some four or five years ago... an aweful disease probably defined by the U.S. National Center for Chainsaw Health Statistics, Chronic Chainsaw Diseases, generally cannot be prevented by vaccines or cured by medication, nor do they just disappear !
(Oops it was not the first day of April,,,)

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks good Chy. Have any vids of this or the twin in some wood?
Thanks Redfin, believe it or not we seldom have logs for trying some cuts in this urban area. But not at all, only very rarely come out amongst the talks between local farmers at gatherings, so watching them now! or would not mind one or two from your place, lol.

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
To tell you the truth I though you painted the handle and flywheel cover at first.
Nice work making them out of copper!
Good afternoon Deets, yes some say if I painted. It's a little heavy but one good thing is that it hardens after it got some stress on it with a small tapping hammer, it's called strain hardening or work hardening.
glad you like them, thanks.
Chy

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does the handle feel solid with the copper? My name is John.

Did you change timing in these saws? I would gladly send you some test wood Chy:(.
John you have a good insight, very impressive! I did add some polyurethane in to the pipe. See these pics ;

Wrap handle_13.gif

Wrap handle_12.gif

As far the timing, No not yet. Wanting to make a circuit with a micro controller with a program to make sifts to some +5degrees(in advance) at around 13000rpm, so that the heat from combustion will leave from the piston crown to the pipe. Now thinking of it with a PIC from Microchip Technology.
As far logs, lol, looking forward to receiving some from you!
Thanks, Chy

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello Randy, first of all I should like to identify if you are the RandyMac who;
guided me to CSCF site some four or five years ago when I was first jumped in to AS site and did not know where I was,
loves iron horse and sometimes makes a long run on 101 from Eureka, northern California,
loves especially the old merican yellow saw with nearly 90cc displacement which is called Super 250, and for which he organizes a Super 250 Club?
and finally who is more like a minstrel on a iron horse than a testy minded iron man on a iron horse?

Anyways appreciate your welcome and words, but as far the first line of your comment I got mixed up with your words and do not find a better analysis on this line my friend, do you mean that the expression was technically wrong, or poetically wrong, sociologically wrong or perhaps grammatically?

Incidentally Lee H may know this I think.
Thanks Chy
I'm not RandyMac he is in Cali I'm east coast.
He would have used a saw like yours for work on big stuff, minus the pipe.

Did you heat and anneal the copper first or cold bend ridged schedule 80?
Work hardening for rigidity, urethane filled, nice touch.

Last edited:

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm not RandyMac he is in Cali I'm east coast.
He would have used a saw like yours for work on big stuff, minus the pipe.

Did you heat and anneal the copper first or cold bend ridged schedule 80?
Work hardening for rigidity, urethane filled, nice touch.
Oops sorry for that Lightning, he is a very good guy with a lot of ingenuity, I always think of him when I see old McCulloch;s.

Yes I give heat more than some several times when I give it tapping. After some tapping it gets hardened so we should give it heating again to anneal, then restart tapping. And repeat it and repeat.

According to the chart for schedule 5, see below for example,
--------
http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/tables/schedule-5.php
Nominal size [inches]: 1/2
Outside diameter [inches]: 0.840
Outside diameter [mm] : 21.3
Wall thickness [inches] : 0.065
Wall thickness [mm] : 1.65
Weight [lb/ft] : 0.54
Weight [kg/m]: 0.80
------------
This pipe I used for her has outer diameter 22mm, thickness,,,, forgot how thick it was,,,but the pic above tells it was nearly the same as the one in schedule 5 above.

Thanks.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far the timing, No not yet. Wanting to make a circuit with a micro controller with a program to make sifts to some +5degrees(in advance) at around 13000rpm, so that the heat from combustion will leave from the piston crown to the pipe. Now thinking of it with a PIC from Microchip Technology.
As far logs, lol, looking forward to receiving some from you!
Thanks, Chy

This is very intriguing Chy, we were discussing here on the forum how to do such a thing a while ago, no one here with the needed electronics background could be found. Might be you are that someone with the right technical know how. Please keep us informed on the progress of this. Also do you think an adjustable version could be possible?

@Mastermind , you wanted me to find a guy, I think he may have found us instead.

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In a purpose to design the pipe I made a check of exhaust timing.
This shows 0 degree for the exhaust port begins to open, ;
0-degree_opening.JPG

and 160 degrees for closing. ;
160-degree_closeing.JPG

But one failure was that I did not make a check on her transfer port timing :smash2:. Instead I put 150 degrees for this parameter which gave me this design below as a result, ;
9600rpm,380c.gif
Chy

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is very intriguing Chy, we were discussing here on the forum how to do such a thing a while ago, no one here with the needed electronics background could be found. Might be you are that someone with the right technical know how. Please keep us informed on the progress of this. Also do you think an adjustable version could be possible?
@Mastermind , you wanted me to find a guy, I think he may have found us instead.
Good morning and thanks StumpShot, I am heading out for job now, will come in the evening later,