Old 562XP Issues

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
4:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Couple of points here:

@ZukiRyder400 is a "Gen ll" Barrett bros product...(we have a code of honor here and any descendants or spouses of posters get extra care and special handling)
Extra screws are always needed....when the saws you have...run
While the 5 bolt cases are not loved....they will run ?

If my "Gen ll" version sons were that interested in any mechanical tool I'd rebuild it just for the learning process ....even if it was a Husky.

Joe @Onan18 has a great rebuild thread on XP 562 so id search that up.

ZukiRyder400

Breaker of recoils
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the cases actually bad? Or is it just that the 5 screw cases are notorious for going bad?
I think the 5 screw cases are notorious for going bad. That missing bolt near the muffler caused the cases to crack open to let just enough air in to burn the saw down. I know my dad said that those saws are totally junk and can only be used for the spare hardware I have a little bit of hope left that a base gasket would cure a little bit of that problem. Hopefully... Im probably gonna take a look at his play 281 builder while I am at it:):):D.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought it was an potential oil leak under the muffler not an air leak that was the issue with the 5 screw cases from what I’ve heard. Could be wrong. Probably not worth rebuilding the saw $ wise but definitely use it for parts saw.

ZukiRyder400

Breaker of recoils
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought it was an oil leak not an air leak that was the issue with the 5 screw cases from what I’ve heard. Could be wrong. Probably not worth rebuilding the saw $ wise but definitely use it for parts saw.
Yeah I did a parts list on it a week ago and it came out to be around $900.00. I could buy a brand new 562XP for less than that.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your better off making one runner out of several parts saws or part it out. I did that with a 365 that wasn’t running in our junk pile. Still needed a lot of work. Usually by the time a tree service or loggers wear out a saw there not feasible to rebuild out of just one saw.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's not a smarter man around than a father, so you should listen to yours.

That said, I re-built a 562 this spring that has all of the "bad" parts. Five bolt case, EL-46 carb, the crappy fuel line routing(maybe this was just the 550) and the closed off top cover. These were the best parts from TWO saws lol! All the thing does is start easy, sip fuel, and chew wood. I think the proximity of the muffler to the case exacerbated the missing screw when the case heat cycled. Hopefully the work I did opening up the muffler helps that. After selling the extras I have $60 into the powerhead, so i am not out much if it decides to grenade tomorrow.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's not a smarter man around than a father, so you should listen to yours.

That said, I re-built a 562 this spring that has all of the "bad" parts. Five bolt case, EL-46 carb, the crappy fuel line routing(maybe this was just the 550) and the closed off top cover. These were the best parts from TWO saws lol! All the thing does is start easy, sip fuel, and chew wood. I think the proximity of the muffler to the case exacerbated the missing screw when the case heat cycled. Hopefully the work I did opening up the muffler helps that. After selling the extras I have $60 into the powerhead, so i am not out much if it decides to grenade tomorrow.
Not a bad idea to have a few layers of foil tape under the muffler. Might've prevented the whole mess