OK, I Give Up... What is Hedge?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a tree that blew over several years ago, the base was eroded. I don't guess it was totally dead but I never paid attention to it, till I cut into it for firewood. The wood was definitely yellow, after two cuts I was yellow, the ground ... There was never any fruit and no thorns. It doesn't look like another hedge tree on my place but it's wood is sure as hell yellow. It cut pretty well and split okay, I burned one piece but wasn't overly impressed. It was about 35 to 40 foot long with one straight trunk, not like other hedges I've seen but I guess it must be.
Maybe mulberry

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a tree that blew over several years ago, the base was eroded. I don't guess it was totally dead but I never paid attention to it, till I cut into it for firewood. The wood was definitely yellow, after two cuts I was yellow, the ground ... There was never any fruit and no thorns. It doesn't look like another hedge tree on my place but it's wood is sure as hell yellow. It cut pretty well and split okay, I burned one piece but wasn't overly impressed. It was about 35 to 40 foot long with one straight trunk, not like other hedges I've seen but I guess it must be.
Mulberry???

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen a number of references to how certain types of chain do when cutting HEDGE

Obviously I know a hedge is a barrier usually consisting of bushes, either for ornamental reasons or to section off land

But when it's mentioned on OPE is seems as if you guys are talking about a specific plant/tree/bush/whatever

I am feeling really short bus asking this but it's been bugging me

:grazy:

Thanks

Hedge is a grumpy assed grandpa running around these here parts. Also goes by Grinch and Scrooge

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It might have been mulberry. Both mulberry and hedge look alike on the inside -- yellow. Sunlight and weather exposure turns them burnt orange. They both have to be dry to burn well. Some say they are second cousins.

rainierrifleco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It was planted in fence lines years ago..it was a source of posts and firewood for early farmers...a hedge post will last a 100 years or more...our barn was built in 1915 they used hedge posts ...the bark is still on most of them..

nickw

A Legend in my own mind
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn't mulberry have berries on it? I don't remember any berries and the only mulberries I've ever seen has been bushes. I know this *s-word makes great firewood. Once you get it going it is hot.

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn't mulberry have berries on it? I don't remember any berries and the only mulberries I've ever seen has been bushes. I know this *s-word makes great firewood. Once you get it going it is hot.
Here is a pic of mulberry. Not as bright yellow as it was.
20190219_161857.jpg

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a pic of mulberry. Not as bright yellow as it was.
View attachment 166396
I just split a mulberry log that had been resting for about six months. It is much more yellow inside than the one farmer steve shows here. Let it sit for three weeks in open air and it will turn burnt orange, similar to the color on the end of the log.

I tried to burn that log in less than three days after the split. On hot coals, it flamed right up and burned hotter than a $2 pistol. Several of my customers have gotten used to it and now request it as long as I supply them with softer, less dense wood, such as poplar or cottonwood, to get the fire going. They love the heat.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I believe that Mulberry is like the hedge, there is a male and female plant, and the male doesn't have the pesky fruits. The Mulberry's berry looks a lot like a blackberry.

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just split a mulberry log that had been resting for about six months. It is much more yellow inside than the one farmer steve shows here. Let it sit for three weeks in open air and it will turn burnt orange, similar to the color on the end of the log.

I tried to burn that log in less than three days after the split. On hot coals, it flamed right up and burned hotter than a $2 pistol. Several of my customers have gotten used to it and now request it as long as I supply them with softer, less dense wood, such as poplar or cottonwood, to get the fire going. They love the heat.
That split was kindada old. Doesn't take long for it to fade. My butcher friend says it's his favorite smoking wood. He has been a butcher all his life and just tried it about a year ago .

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mulberry will lose it's weight when it cures compared to hedge. Also splits easier!
^^This^^

Mulberry is much like Red Oak as far as moisture and weight loss even BTU rating.
But good luck finding a good, straight one.

Hedge is a low moisture wood even when fresh. As it dries, very little weight is lost, cuz there was never much water in it to begin with. Just dense..
MH