Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Osage orange as mentioned above.

You can make a barrier or hedge row if you grind up the apples and mix in a little water. Pour it in a tilled trench, when the saplings pop up just keep bending em over and stick em in the dirt. Grows into one helleva fence line, so I’ve heard
The old timers wove the limbs from tree to tree to create a LIVING fence then keep it pruned and the pruning/slash went back into the fence to patch holes in the hedge row. A well kept row was tended to spring and fall (or more) Yes it is Osage Orange and one of the last critters to feast on the apple ( NOT NIBBLE) was the Woolly Mammoth (Google it) It Burns hot even when it is green. when you open the stove door air gets the coals to popping so one needs to use caution and when cutting it for fence posts or firewood the thorns (Like roses on steroids) are hell on bare skin

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The old timers wove the limbs from tree to tree to create a LIVING fence then keep it pruned and the pruning/slash went back into the fence to patch holes in the hedge row. A well kept row was tended to spring and fall (or more) Yes it is Osage Orange and one of the last critters to feast on the apple ( NOT NIBBLE) was the Woolly Mammoth (Google it) It Burns hot even when it is green. when you open the stove door air gets the coals to popping so one needs to use caution and when cutting it for fence posts or firewood the thorns (Like roses on steroids) are hell on bare skin
We got cows that eat the damn things.
Some cattle won't touch them but a few do.
Squirrels and turkeys will shred the fruit to get at the seeds inside sometimes.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I was told. Trumpy needs to plant a bunch “down south” . Not too offensive is it?

There is a banyan tree in Lahaina, Maui that covers a city block

I can’t remember how long it’s been there but it’s like something out of Avatar

Every evening around sunset it fills with birds and they all start screaming at once

It’s deafening

I have seen small children start crying because it comes out of nowhere and scares the crap out of them

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We got cows that eat the damn things.
Some cattle won't touch them but a few do. Squirrels and turkeys will shred the fruit to get at the seeds inside sometimes.
I once filled up a steel 30-gal trash can with hedge apples. They were from trees along a fence line in my back yard. I carefully dragged it to the street for pickup. Next morning the trash crew broke both handles off the can when trying to lift it.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have sold some apples on e-bay, and a block of the wood. I think they bought it to make duck calls. I even have sold chunks of an apple tree that fell down, for smoking. Actually sold a few boxes. I fit them in flat rate boxes, and a few folks actually bought them.

nickw

A Legend in my own mind
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a tree that blew over several years ago, the base was eroded. I don't guess it was totally dead but I never paid attention to it, till I cut into it for firewood. The wood was definitely yellow, after two cuts I was yellow, the ground ... There was never any fruit and no thorns. It doesn't look like another hedge tree on my place but it's wood is sure as hell yellow. It cut pretty well and split okay, I burned one piece but wasn't overly impressed. It was about 35 to 40 foot long with one straight trunk, not like other hedges I've seen but I guess it must be.