OK, battle between two legends: 288xp vs 394xp

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright guys, being a person who has been fairly recently infected with a hopelessly severe case of CAD, I have noticed alot of love (if not a cult following) for the 288xp. Seems as though the 394 enjoys something similar but not to the same extent.. It certainly seems to be favored over the 395 by a fair amount of people here.

I'm curious as to how you guys think they compare against each other. Granted, the 394 enjoys a relatively small advantage in displacement. But putting that aside, what do you guys like? Pros and cons? Which one is better stock? How about modded? Is the 288 one of those freak success stories that punches above it's weight class?? I would like to see an open discussion on this topic. Got a vid of your ported 288?? Post it up! Same for you 394 owners...

I am about to embark on a rebuild and mod to include porting on a 1993 model 394. Wondering if a 288 should be on my "list" or if it's pointless being that I have the 394.

I look forward to reading the content posted on this topic. :)

Fire away gents!
I have two 288s. I won't part with them. Yes they are above their class. Even running bigger saws, then grabbing the 288 you don't feel let down or disappointed. Very worth saw with a hearty torque curve. I've had m8me in the biggest hardest wood, and never felt I was lacking in saw.

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
2:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
well i have another dilemma... i have been given a nice 394 to clean and make run, which it has, and been offered a trade of it for a not bad 044 that i have.:confused: seems like the 394 is a dark horse i didnt know about.

Last edited:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
2:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
well i have another dilemma... i have been given a nice 394 to clean and make run, which it has, and been offered a trade of it for a not bad 044 that i have.:confused: seems like the 394 is a dark horse i didnt know about.

Take the deal, grab the 394.