High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

OK, battle between two legends: 288xp vs 394xp

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 281. Is there much difference between it and a 288. I like it, it's pretty stout and fast, makes me wonder what a few more cc's will do. I'm not sure comparing a 288 to a 394 is really fair, I feel a 066 and 390xp would be more evenly matched as far as cc's go.

After seeing some of the vids posted by the fellows here, I certainly concur. ;) I expected the 394 to have an advantage due to it's larger displacement, but I didn't expect the difference to be as noticeable as the videos posted clearly indicate.

I was curious about the 288 due to the massive following they have and was wondering if they were an exceptionally good design causing them to punch above their weight class... A factory-freak of sorts. I've run 395's and 372's but never laid hands on a 288. After taking in the info here, I am no less convinced that the 288 is a great saw that has earned a well desrved loyal following. However, it seems to me based on the info and videos posted that the 390 does everything a 288 did but with better AV characteristics. So for me, I think that if I were to decide to add a saw in that size class to what I have, I would likely gun for a 390. Unless of course a good opportunity in the form of a 288 presented itself..

I would also add that after taking in the info posted concerning the comparison between the 394 and 395, I'm kind of glad I got a 394. ;) :D

One thing I know after all of this, I have come to really enjoy picking up blown/neglected/hopeless powerheads on the cheap and making them run again! I can't go drop $1200 on a new 395 at the drop of a hat, resurrecting them makes them much more affordable for me.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heck yeah! I paid $100 for mine. It was in pieces in a tote and quite the oily mess.
DSC07796.JPG
DSC07845.JPG
New seals, Randy's advice to removing transfer, a Meteor and away I went. Think I had about 300 in it after a few misc parts and a 24"b/c.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi Joe
I guess this could" also" come down to folks collecting the 200 series of saws. Your going to want a 288 in the mix regardless of comparisons with other saws. Taken on its own merit its a nice saw plus a good mod saw .:)

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
After seeing some of the vids posted by the fellows here, I certainly concur. ;) I expected the 394 to have an advantage due to it's larger displacement, but I didn't expect the difference to be as noticeable as the videos posted clearly indicate.

I was curious about the 288 due to the massive following they have and was wondering if they were an exceptionally good design causing them to punch above their weight class... A factory-freak of sorts. I've run 395's and 372's but never laid hands on a 288. After taking in the info here, I am no less convinced that the 288 is a great saw that has earned a well desrved loyal following. However, it seems to me based on the info and videos posted that the 390 does everything a 288 did but with better AV characteristics. So for me, I think that if I were to decide to add a saw in that size class to what I have, I would likely gun for a 390. Unless of course a good opportunity in the form of a 288 presented itself..

I would also add that after taking in the info posted concerning the comparison between the 394 and 395, I'm kind of glad I got a 394. ;) :D

One thing I know after all of this, I have come to really enjoy picking up blown/neglected/hopeless powerheads on the cheap and making them run again! I can't go drop $1200 on a new 395 at the drop of a hat, resurrecting them makes them much more affordable for me.
Even if you spend more than you would have buying a runner, you are at least able to spread the cost out over time on parts. Think of it as interest, lol.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

38f20

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like them both. I agree about the 288 not being near as smooth as the 394 but the weight difference makes up for it. I've got more in my 288 than I could get for it but it was fun to build and it gets lots of use. Neither are ported. image.jpgimage.jpg

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You won't be flogged by me. My 281 powerhead is as new, the guy I got it from said it sat in a house he owned for 20 years or so.
When he brought it to me I pulled the plug and put a little flex lite in there & the top of the piston was still white, I could read the AB letters on it and could see clean casting in the exaust port.
The chain, clutch, rim & 28" bar were not new but in good shape.
Me being a bit aged & battered was unable to start the thing till I put a D handle on it, it starts cold with 3 to 4 pulls.
I really have no use for this saw but it's mine for now, maybe someday somebody could pry it away from me with a long green lever.

John

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never ran a 394 or a 395. I have a 288 XP Lite and I really, really like everything about that saw. If a 394 ever crosses my path I might have to own it based on what I have read in this thread. The 288 still ain't going anywhere though...

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never ran a 394 or a 395. I have a 288 XP Lite and I really, really like everything about that saw. If a 394 ever crosses my path I might have to own it based on what I have read in this thread. The 288 still ain't going anywhere though...
We can fix that...well...I'll at least let you run one...

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will certainly take you up on that offer!
I have a tree to put down at my rental in FV...don't know how booked your weekends are, but ill let you know when. I also have a pile of logs at the shop if you just want to knock some cookies off...couple big pines in it. 1010/401 is the shop..

riverrat2

Semper Fidelis
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is still together although I took it to work with me yesterday and gave it an initial cleaning it needed quite badly. Also ordered a Meteor 394 spec piston the other night too.

It may not need it, but it's getting a bottom-up overhaul and a little grinding too of course. ;) My goal is to make it better than new. Well, other than a few scratches and worn off paint anyway...

Heck that patina look just gives them character!!! I ran my freshened up 288XP at the BBQ firewood pile today,,, It just came back from tha tree monkey's lovin center !!!!

I had to tweak the Carby a bit to get it to act right,,,,

Woot Woot!!!!!~ that freaking thing rips I tells ya!!!!! Thanks Scott,,, @tree monkey I really like it

A 395 is smooth

Way!!!!!!

Last edited: