Official generator thread

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Posted this in another thread, but here’s what I run. I bought this last summer during the fires but never ended up using it until last week when we lost power during a snow storm. I just turned off the power to the Water Heater and it ran everything else just fine (I didn’t use the Dryer or Oven either). It used about 1/2 gallon of gas per hour.

View attachment 166319

I also installed a dedicated 30 amp breaker and plug, and a safety interlock for added peace of mind, and code compliance.

View attachment 166317 View attachment 166320

My main panel is on an outbuilding 100 ft from the house, so noise isn’t too bad either.
Looks good. Wish we could use the interlock like that here. We have to put a pannel with trasfer switch in here. I havnt bit the bullet yet and baught one but hoping this spring to get one.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks good. Wish we could use the interlock like that here. We have to put a pannel with trasfer switch in here. I havnt bit the bullet yet and baught one but hoping this spring to get one.
Yeah I kinda lucked out that I was able to do that with my panel... I think all told it was only a couple hundred bucks including the 20’ extension cord.

grizz55chev

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A1C7827C-7A0A-41B9-A828-83A2D6DCB292.jpeg My little diesel geny kept us powered up this weekend, power was out for 3 days with temps in the 20*s! On the third day, it was a job getting it started, had to use a propane torch to heat it around the injection pump! Took about an hr to get it done ! I shut it down before going to bed around 11:00 pm, then fire it back up at 7:00 am. It’s a 2002. Model that I bought used 10 yrs ago and it is twice as economical as my old gas generator! Next time we’re without power overnight, I’ll wrap it in a blanket before going to Bed!

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

They frown on those interlock plates here too. I went this route these types are allowed20190222_140320.jpg

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They frown on those interlock plates here too. I went this route these types are allowedView attachment 166960
Thats similar to the one iv neen looking at. Just dont have the extra cash at this time.
Seems my truck is due for a bunch of maintenance. Just did tires in fall. Gonna be doing brakes in next week or two. Then wanna do a tranny and transfer case fluid change soin as well.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Drained gas. Tried gas in plug hole and just back fired. Took carb off and cleaned. Now it’s flooding a lot. Maybe float? Tried to leave everything adjusted as it was but maybe I bent somthing.
If it has the old brass floats check them for holes. You can usually shake them and listen for gas inside or you can bring a pot of water nearly up to boil, hold them under water with needle nose and see if air rushes out of them. Look for a trail of bubbles.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Question for you sparkies and generator gurus. I have a 4000 watt Colman Powermate. Its rated for 15 amps using the 240 volt receptical. I was going to back feed my house panel with 240V so I can run 120V loads and or possibly a 240V load.

Will back feeding with 240V and only using 120V cause an imbalance some how and hurt the generator?

My main goal is to run my baseboard circulators and possibly my wood boiler. The boiler is 240V 30A but it converts it down to 120V. Besides the electronics and a circulator it probably has a 1/4 hp 220V flue fan. Can imagine it drawing more than 15A.

Grimmy

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Question for you sparkies and generator gurus. I have a 4000 watt Colman Powermate. Its rated for 15 amps using the 240 volt receptical. I was going to back feed my house panel with 240V so I can run 120V loads and or possibly a 240V load.

Will back feeding with 240V and only using 120V cause an imbalance some how and hurt the generator?

My main goal is to run my baseboard circulators and possibly my wood boiler. The boiler is 240V 30A but it converts it down to 120V. Besides the electronics and a circulator it probably has a 1/4 hp 220V flue fan. Can imagine it drawing more than 15A.
Will it hurt, the short answer no. Where you could run into issues, if you don't balance the load out enough, and draw more on one side to trip the breaker out. If you can see the breaker on your gen, is it 2 x 15A breakers (which added together is 30A) or is it 2 x 30A breakers? Whatever the number is, that's the most you can pull on one side, or on your 120VAC side. If it's 2 x 15A.......you can run all on one side, but go over 15A, and it will trip. Replace 15A with 30A if it's the other way around, in the previous statement.

That is a very small generator. While I have backfed my house many times before, I got rid of that setup and went with a fully automated system. It was a dumb generator and ended up overvolting the house, taking about all my surge suppressors and burned a hole in the new carpet, which easily could have burned the house down. I wasn't there at the time, but my buddy was doing it and could smell something but didn't know what it was. After that, got rid of it all, and got a whole house gen with auto transfer switch.

IF you continue with backfeeding, I sure hope you have your fuse panel labeled, and labeled very well, and have everything you don't need turned off, and the main breaker to the house as well. I don't know what you would run in your house, that you need 240VAC for, in a power out situation......that will draw less than 15A.

Hope that helps.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Will it hurt, the short answer no. Where you could run into issues, if you don't balance the load out enough, and draw more on one side to trip the breaker out. If you can see the breaker on your gen, is it 2 x 15A breakers (which added together is 30A) or is it 2 x 30A breakers? Whatever the number is, that's the most you can pull on one side, or on your 120VAC side. If it's 2 x 15A.......you can run all on one side, but go over 15A, and it will trip. Replace 15A with 30A if it's the other way around, in the previous statement.

That is a very small generator. While I have backfed my house many times before, I got rid of that setup and went with a fully automated system. It was a dumb generator and ended up overvolting the house, taking about all my surge suppressors and burned a hole in the new carpet, which easily could have burned the house down. I wasn't there at the time, but my buddy was doing it and could smell something but didn't know what it was. After that, got rid of it all, and got a whole house gen with auto transfer switch.

IF you continue with backfeeding, I sure hope you have your fuse panel labeled, and labeled very well, and have everything you don't need turned off, and the main breaker to the house as well. I don't know what you would run in your house, that you need 240VAC for, in a power out situation......that will draw less than 15A.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply. I found a manual for the genny and what you say makes sense.
I have to double check but I believe my well pump is 240V. My boiler is 240V also but 30A however, its largest load is a draft fan so I think a 15A genny would be fine as long as there are no other loads. My largest concern about powering my boiler is it has lots of electronics because it's a fancy Froling boiler and it might not be happy with the dirty power fron an old genny like my Colman Powermate. Worst case it I have it hooked up to provide 240v to the panel but only use 120V loads. Shouldnt be any harm by doing that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190225-232654_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190225-232654_Chrome.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 11

Grimmy

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You'd have to try the well pump. Pumps and motors draw a lot when they start, and that's when they usually trip. You could easily try this with your setup and see what it does. Worst case, it trips the breaker because there's too much in rush. As for your boiler, I'd say the same thing, try it. If it draws too much, it will trip the gen breaker.

Overall, it sounds like you need a bigger gen. It comes down to how often you lose power. If it's that often, I would highly suggest looking into a whole house, automatic transfer switch, and just be done with it. They are expensive, but they are sized accordingly. Last thing you want is the power to be out for long periods of time, and find out your gen overvolted and messed up more stuff to have to fix. Most gens are a dumb generator and they will just output more and more, which can cause damage (I know, I had it happen).

Something to consider, ask the manufacture of your boiler about your gen, and see what they say. If dirty power will be enough or if you need something more clean. They know or should know their system and what it takes. They might tell you things to look out for that haven't been brought up.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So was thinking about running the exhaust from generator out the side of the shed so i dont have to put it out side in weather when needed. I would keep door part way open and have a fan blowing on it. To help get air movment around it to cool it.
Whats your thoughts. Good idea or not.

The pipe going out would only be 1.5 feet with a 45 degree aiming down. So not much if any restriction from pipe.

Cjone

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Lets see, as of now 4 generators. 2 EU2200's for parallel use. 1 off brand coleman 6500w noisy, rattley fuel hog. A EU6500 that I just picked up, only has 135 hours but the P/O had ran it on propane and took the exhaust valve and guide out, so I am repairing that at this time. I just sold a 10k unit because I built a 7k 240v split phase PV system for my house. It will run the house for 4 days without a recharge or the solar panels switched on. 32 6 volt GC batteries I will soon be upgrading 16 of them to a L 16 series battery. I build off grid systems with both solar and generator for power. Only have 1 grid tie system that I have been working on. CJ

Cjone

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So was thinking about running the exhaust from generator out the side of the shed so i dont have to put it out side in weather when needed. I would keep door part way open and have a fan blowing on it. To help get air movment around it to cool it.
Whats your thoughts. Good idea or not.

The pipe going out would only be 1.5 feet with a 45 degree aiming down. So not much if any restriction from pipe.

Be extremely careful with carbon monoxide if you go in there with it running. That would be my main concern. I run my generators in my pole barn but only with the main door open with the big unit running or the service door and windows open with the EU2200 running. The idea of running the exhaust out side is a excellent one. Way safer! cj

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Be extremely careful with carbon monoxide if you go in there with it running. That would be my main concern. I run my generators in my pole barn but only with the main door open with the big unit running or the service door and windows open with the EU2200 running. The idea of running the exhaust out side is a excellent one. Way safer! cj
Ya no plans on being in ther with it unless just starting it once a month for a few mins. But i dont think ther would be much if any carbon monoxide if i ran exhaust out side through wall?
I havnt had to use it for an outage yet but when i fire it up every month i just pull over to shed door and aim exhaust out. I figure if i had exhaust hooked to a pipe out the wall i wouldnt have to move the generator to start it plus be easyer for wife if she had to ever use it if i was gone away.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks. We might need a small generator soon, and wonder if any of the little cheapies such as from Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply are any good? It would be used a few weeks a year for keeping a few lights on and other odd jobs, just something with one or two 120v outlets is all we need. I have an old Powermate but it needs some work and I don't really have time to mess with it right now.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks. We might need a small generator soon, and wonder if any of the little cheapies such as from Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply are any good? It would be used a few weeks a year for keeping a few lights on and other odd jobs, just something with one or two 120v outlets is all we need. I have an old Powermate but it needs some work and I don't really have time to mess with it right now.
For the money you can't really beat the champion 3500/4000 watt from TSC.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Cjone

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I would suggest the champion also. The better of the cheap units. Cj

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats what I was thinking. Briggs & Stratton has a line of them that looks decent for the price also. There is an older B&S powered Coleman about an hour away from me. It is supposed to work great and they asking $125.00. Here it is:

https://lexington.craigslist.org/for/d/science-hill-coleman-5hp-generator/6832237172.html

I have the same generator. Not big enough for the house backup but I use it for portable work. Do yourself a favor and change the fuel pump diaphragm and check the ýellow mesh in the tank for deteriorating.