High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Nylon filter for winter, or just spare felts?

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
8:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey gang,
I have a 562xp that I want ready for possible winter use, and would like thoughts on switching to the yellow 44 micron nylon filter for below freezing conditions.
I have the removable plug to warm intake air, as well as the cover for < 23° F. Husqvarna recommends one of the nylon filters for winter/cold use, but I wonder about increasing the crap that gets inhaled by the saw.
Anyone else in cold climes, dealing with hardwoods, often dead?
Thanks

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Running the nylon filter makes it sound like when you turn the top of the air filter cover over on anything with a Q Jet carb.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have done very little cutting in real cold condtions, and hope it stays that way. Good to hear you haven't had issues with icing or anything, thanks.

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Opposite problem here, 100+ most days but also cutting dead filthy dusty wood. I'm having better results with an oiled nylon than with a dry felt. No fines getting into the inlet with the mesh.
Opposite result of what I was expecting.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Super3 not sure what you are referring to there, but assume you are talking about increased noise from the air being sucked through the larger openings in the nylon filter? I hadn't thought of that, but doubt it will be too noticeable after Mastermind tinkers with the muffler.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Missed your post weed. That's interesting, does the oiled filter require a lot more cleaning? Seems like it would collect a lot of dust and such.

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Super3 not sure what you are referring to there, but assume you are talking about increased noise from the air being sucked through the larger openings in the nylon filter? I hadn't thought of that, but doubt it will be too noticeable after Mastermind tinkers with the muffler.

Yep, you got it.

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Missed your post weed. That's interesting, does the oiled filter require a lot more cleaning? Seems like it would collect a lot of dust and such.
Cleaning is easy. I give it a squirt of brake cleaner and a squirt of fresh oil at night.
Just knock off dust at lunch.
I've forgotten to clean and re-oil, two full days work and all was fine. A gallon a day is about normal.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Super hot dry dusty here...nylon or felt? OEM or AM?

Thinking OEM Felt.

Thanks!

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes oem felt. Light grease on mounting surface, to seal.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may have some nylon filters for sale once I inspect my saws...

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Felt for work. Nylon for play. I'm sure there are cases where the flocked filters will freeze. But I've been cutting the last two weeks at anywhere from negative 10 degrees in the am to 5 above in the afternoon. Haven't had any issues with ice. Although I have been running xpg's and a heated Makita. If that makes a difference.

Steven

Superwd6

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey gang,
I have a 562xp that I want ready for possible winter use, and would like thoughts on switching to the yellow 44 micron nylon filter for below freezing conditions.
I have the removable plug to warm intake air, as well as the cover for < 23° F. Husqvarna recommends one of the nylon filters for winter/cold use, but I wonder about increasing the crap that gets inhaled by the saw.
Anyone else in cold climes, dealing with hardwoods, often dead?
Thanks

My 576xpg came stock with black 88 micron I think. It would barely stop the rocks so I replaced with yellow 44 filter . 10 or so years ago now and have never ran flocked filter. Just replaced filter last year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Felt filter doesn't care whether it's hot or cold.

I run most of my saws with factory stock felt filters year round, two are running fine nylon filters, NOT the coarse nylon "winter" filter.