Now they are hitting craigslist

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
6:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of these, but certainly wouldnt try to sell it for this price. And sure wouldnt try to pass it off without mentioning the minor detail that its 100% aftermarket

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of the ones people try to sell as stihl at least have a real stihl top badge and the safety stickers on the brake and handle.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This stuff is rampant just about everywhere now. More so with OEM saws that were rebuilt with AM parts. Often the cheapest E-bay stuff. These saws come in the shop often, and none of the buyers were informed by the sellers that the saw was rebuilt with AM parts.

It's kind of the "dark side" of the whole aftermarket thing, because there's plenty of dishonest people flipping saws. But on the bright side, this has become common enough now that many guys know that you gotta be careful buying used saws. Things like a bright new silver cylinder raises a red flag.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Technically it does say stihl in the ad...the model name "MS660" is owned by stihl.

Sometimes it depends. The dash between MS and 660 can be something a lawyer will determine that there is enough difference that it’s not copyright infringement.

Just look at some other “knock off” products. Very common to copy color scheme, font type and size... but change one O to a Q and the lesser is non the wiser.

03937855bbd6bc00e378b5641a4d685c.jpg

It’s sad, no matter what product is out there, there is always someone who will try to score on the profits by misleading the consumer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveinUT

Have gun - will travel
Local time
4:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Sometimes it depends. The dash between MS and 660 can be something a lawyer will determine that there is enough difference that it’s not copyright infringement.

Just look at some other “knock off” products. Very common to copy color scheme, font type and size... but change one O to a Q and the lesser is non the wiser.

It’s sad, no matter what product is out there, there is always someone who will try to score on the profits by misleading the consumer.

Hahahahaha!!!! Reminds me of the Ray-BUN sunglasses I bought in Haiti back in the day. I had a fake Rolex that I bought in Korea that actually lasted for YEARS before it crapped out. The sad thing is, some poor guy is going to buy that 660 thinking he's getting a deal.

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This stuff is rampant just about everywhere now. More so with OEM saws that were rebuilt with AM parts. Often the cheapest E-bay stuff. These saws come in the shop often, and none of the buyers were informed by the sellers that the saw was rebuilt with AM parts.

It's kind of the "dark side" of the whole aftermarket thing, because there's plenty of dishonest people flipping saws. But on the bright side, this has become common enough now that many guys know that you gotta be careful buying used saws. Things like a bright new silver cylinder raises a red flag.

I rebuild saws for sale and I keep the moving parts oem. I do use some aftermarket parts, and I have to so I can make a small profit. But I always list what is aftermarket. I believe everyone should list what is aftermarket, the buyer deserves to know. The Chinese covers and such work fine but they definitely not as durable.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I rebuild saws for sale and I keep the moving parts oem. I do use some aftermarket parts, and I have to so I can make a small profit. But I always list what is aftermarket. I believe everyone should list what is aftermarket, the buyer deserves to know. The Chinese covers and such work fine but they definitely not as durable.

That's the way to go about it, for sure. And all of the external parts like handles and plastic are not like coils, carbs and top ends, as they aren't "fail parts" that can put the saw out of service.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Truth. Not all aftermarket parts are automatic junk. Though there is some common sense a builder/flipper/seller needs to use when deciding on oem or am for certain parts.

And then there is a learning curve. I’ve bought some aftermarket parts that seamed ok, but didn’t hardly last 1/2 gal of fuel.

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Truth. Not all aftermarket parts are automatic junk. Though there is some common sense a builder/flipper/seller needs to use when deciding on oem or am for certain parts.

And then there is a learning curve. I’ve bought some aftermarket parts that seamed ok, but didn’t hardly last 1/2 gal of fuel.

My dad fixed a weed eater for his friends at the scrap yard. He bought fuel lines, fuel tank grommet and carburetor on eBay for like $10. They brought it back after 2 weeks saying it quit running and gas was leaking. The fuel lines were completely rotten as well as the grommet. That was only two weeks, the weed eater had been used twice! A used oem grommet and Tygon line and it was good as new.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
3:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score

I believe the copyright laws also cover the use of "sound alike" names to mislead the public.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s not just the Stihl clones. Ran across this today on FB garage sale. Sent a polite message to the seller and said he may have uploaded the wrong pic because it’s not a 365. He went off and called me a retard that doesn’t know anything about chainsaws. I reported the add, won’t help of course.
DAD92A7F-D7BA-4B20-AD43-25B44BCDE019.jpeg