Not sold on square ground yet

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I call bs square is about the only thing used out here for production falling. A little trade secret not many of us file we all carry enough chains for the day when you get paid by what you get down during the day the last thing you want to do is spend time filing on a chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which doesn't apply to 99% of the people on this forum.

Square is more expensive for someone like me to maintain especially as fast as I go through files, not to mention it makes no difference in how I take yard trees down by day and cut firewood in my spare time.

Its not faster for my application ..

But maybe that 2 seconds per firewood log makes a difference. Idk.

Last edited:

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which doesn't apply to 99% of the people on this forum.

Square is more expensive for someone like me to maintain especially as fast as I go through files, not to mention it makes no difference in how I take yard trees down by day and cut firewood in my spare time.

It not faster for my application .. my dick is pretty small but not that small.

But maybe that 2 seconds per firewood log makes a difference. Idk.

2 seconds while felling is eternity. Consider it as a life and death or accident and accident free situation.

For other applications you mentioned you are correct

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2 seconds while felling is eternity. Consider it as a life and death or accident and accident free situation.

For other applications you mentioned you are correct

I'm sure it's worth it for the guys cutting soft woods for production on the west coast..I dont doubt it.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_2731.JPG My phone doesn't take very good close ups. Here's the best pic I could take to show off my first attempt.

I have to admit, after witnessing John Riley cut with one of his chains at Randy's GTG (china ms440 build off) its hard to resist buying a file. Now be prepared for a significant learning curve. First loop I did took a long time. I was converting round to square tho. It was a little frustrating at first but once you get the feel for it, it ain't that bad.

That being said no one picks up a round file for the first time and gets great results. IF you can control the file the results are significant. I'm very happy with my first chain and looking at it there's still plenty of room for improvement. It did cut faster, smoother and threw some impressive chips compared to round.

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure it's worth it for the guys cutting soft woods for production on the west coast..I dont doubt it.

Even in the hardwoods it’s worth it, you guys think we don’t have any hardwoods out here, but when you’re cutting alder every little advantage you have you take it’ll chair up on you faster then anything.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even in the hardwoods it’s worth it, you guys think we don’t have any hardwoods out here, but when you’re cutting alder every little advantage you have you take it’ll chair up on you faster then anything.

That applies to your caliber of saw work, it's no advantage for service guys like me.

To each is own.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got some factory square including a 36" loop of .404 .The only time I use it is on occasion at a GTG which it's been several years since I've attended any .I've got a few "race chains" I filed but that is just a play thing too . Too much a pain in the behind to file and I don't own a grinder and doubt if I ever do .---unless it's dirt cheap .

birddogtg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 150675 My phone doesn't take very good close ups. Here's the best pic I could take to show off my first attempt.

I have to admit, after witnessing John Riley cut with one of his chains at Randy's GTG (china ms440 build off) its hard to resist buying a file. Now be prepared for a significant learning curve. First loop I did took a long time. I was converting round to square tho. It was a little frustrating at first but once you get the feel for it, it ain't that bad.

That being said no one picks up a round file for the first time and gets great results. IF you can control the file the results are significant. I'm very happy with my first chain and looking at it there's still plenty of room for improvement. It did cut faster, smoother and threw some impressive chips compared to round.
John makes a great chain for racing but he spends a lot of hours sharpening one.The Same chain would not be very good for working.

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel you are in the minority, most loggers around here have never even heard of a square ground chain.

I call bs square is about the only thing used out here for production falling. A little trade secret not many of us file we all carry enough chains for the day when you get paid by what you get down during the day the last thing you want to do is spend time filing on a chain.

west vs. east.
guys that use it say ya wont see diff til end of day.
+1 on carryin extra loops. change em out quicker than filin.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel you are in the minority, most loggers around here have never even heard of a square ground chain.
I could go to 10 chainsaw dealers in my area to ask them about buying Square ground chain and I would bet 9 out of 10 would have absolutely no idea at what I am talking about. My local Stihl dealer said it doesn't exist. I had to show him on my phone snd told him I have factory boxed Stihl square chain. He didn't believe me and called his regional rep to ask. The look on his face was priceless. LMFAO
As was the look on his face when I brought in a ported 026 to show him and the store mechanics. They were amazed.
I believe in square file chain. It is no doubt faster and smoother. But I also like my round file chains too. Use what you believe in snd whst you feel comfortable with and what works for you.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was either Copesy or Rick H who showed me how to file it .What's a pain in the behind is you have to get the angles on the top and side plate at the same time and watch you don't beak it .If you do it will cut like crazy for just a short time period of time before you dull or break off the beak . You file it back azzward going into the tooth rather than away from it . Dang multi bevel file is 8 or 9 bucks a pop .

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could go to 10 chainsaw dealers in my area to ask them about buying Square ground chain and I would bet 9 out of 10 would have absolutely no idea at what I am talking about. My local Stihl dealer said it doesn't exist. I had to show him on my phone snd told him I have factory boxed Stihl square chain. He didn't believe me and called his regional rep to ask. The look on his face was priceless. LMFAO
As was the look on his face when I brought in a ported 026 to show him and the store mechanics. They were amazed.
I believe in square file chain. It is no doubt faster and smoother. But I also like my round file chains too. Use what you believe in snd whst you feel comfortable with and what works for you.

Dear friend if possible please send me the serial number and picture of Stihl factory square filled chain

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought them from @Redbull661
Let me see if I can find the boxes.
He may gave bought bulk chain in a large roll and make them to order.
I think the Stihl square ground chain is RSL.
tapatalk_1485747686231.jpeg
ef97e317d44d0512b2ce3d62d654e19e.jpg

Last edited:

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
how long square lasts seems to depend on how it's ground/filed.

Stihl square grind seems to vary, thus I've got different results over the years trying to figure out how long it lasts vs stihl's round ground RS.

I will repeat something that @tree monkey told me. And it'll make you think. Here it is: Scott, "Square lasts longer, but round ground cuts better and longer when it's dull."

Rolls of stihl chain which I've ordered, used, tested, sold...

33RS - .050 3/8 round ground full chisel full comp
35RS - .058 3/8 round ground full chisel full comp
36RS - .063 3/8 round ground full chisel full copm

33RSK - .050 3/8 round ground full chisel full comp - klassic RS cutter design.

33RSL - .050 3/8 Square ground full chisel full comp (can be hard to find)
36RSL - .063 3/8 Square ground full chisel full comp (can be hard to find)

33RSLH - .050 3/8 Square ground full chisel semi skip (can be hard to find)
36RSLH - .063 3/8 Square ground full chisel semi skip (can be hard to find)

33RSF -.050 3/8 round ground full chisel full SKIP
36RSF - .063 3/8 round ground full chisel full SKIP (think I got this from canada)

33RSLF - .050 3/8 Square ground full chisel full SKIP
36RSLF - .063 3/8 Square ground full chisel full SKIP

46RS - .063 .404 round ground full chisel full comp
46RSLF - .063 .404 Square ground full chisel full SKIP

33RM 36RM 46RM - rapid micro aka round ground semi chisel full comp
33RMF 36RMF 46RMF - rapid micro aka round ground semi chisel full skip (can be hard to find)

2h6cc38.jpg

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Julian! [emoji106]
All the chain that I purchased from Julian has been perfect and performed very well!