NOS parts and the white death

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was checking in with my favorite saw parts acquisition spot and got to talking about 272XP's. He said he had NOS crankcases. I was all ears. I followed him to a spot in the shop I had not been into before and he pulled two cases out. They looked perfect until I looked inside. The white death on one looked almost like cotton balls and the bearings were starting to rust. Naturally these parts were in a falling apart cardboard box sitting on a concrete floor. I am assuming these are junk, correct? My understanding is that once it starts, it just don't stop - right?

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was checking in with my favorite saw parts acquisition spot and got to talking about 272XP's. He said he had NOS crankcases. I was all ears. I followed him to a spot in the shop I had not been into before and he pulled two cases out. They looked perfect until I looked inside. The white death on one looked almost like cotton balls and the bearings were starting to rust. Naturally these parts were in a falling apart cardboard box sitting on a concrete floor. I am assuming these are junk, correct? My understanding is that once it starts, it just don't stop - right?

If not too bad yet you could have them blasted and re powdered. @Glock37

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is more than I would want to bother with myself. I will probably leave those where they lie.

astnmacgto

Earn a living with white powdery substances
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The corrosion can be stopped as long as you stop what's causing it, I hear coke works great for eating the white death til it's gone. Friend of mine used it on a fuel tank it came out shiny clean.....

Drinking coke not blow coke BTW haha

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The corrosion can be stopped as long as you stop what's causing it, I hear coke works great for eating the white death til it's gone. Friend of mine used it on a fuel tank it came out shiny clean.....

The other way around would be spendy too. Lol.

Mark, I've wire brushed white death out of bottom ends and it doesn't seem to spread after soaked with 2t oil and gas.

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blast and powder is the best way to stop and make it look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

astnmacgto

Earn a living with white powdery substances
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The other good option is a thick layer of BBQ sauce.
I'm just gonna throw this out there, but I've never seen oiled parts corrode. If you get that white death off with a wire brush and oil the crap out of it, I bet it will be fine..... it's just on the inside exposed mag right? Not on the outside where it's powder coated?

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Would diet Coke work?

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Magnesium alloys, while extremely light are very susceptible to corrosion if the conditions are right. If cared for properly, they hold up fine. Any corrosion can be stopped but that doesn't replace the metal that's already been converted into something else... Zinc based primers like zinc chromate, zinc oxide, etc. are effective protective coatings. It is important to remove all the corrosion prior to painting. NOT with steel wool or carborundum based sand papers. Stainless steel wire brush, bead blasting, etc works well.

rjames

The clean beaver gets the wood
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PS... Stop drinking diet. It's worse than sugar....[/QUOTE]

Diet coke is worse than sugar? Do tell.