Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi All
I rescued this old girl from a shed in southeast Alaska.
Came with a 12 volt starter and was told "you need two big guys to hold her down when you start it"
Also was told that it was an alcohol saw. I would like to know what i would look for to see if it was an alcohol saw.
It looks like it is in the remnants of a 125 frame.It is seized,but supposedly ran at the 308.JPG 310.JPG 309.JPG state fair a few years ago.
It is now in my heated boiler building awaiting a chance to see how bad things are.Came with a nice roller nose bar.

B440

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alcohol? Look for a very large mainjet. It should start on gas, but it will be too rich and blubber out after a few seconds. Like that pipe!

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Judging by the set up and fuel line size I would think it is set up for running alcohol.
Also, judging by the look of the leaf litter, it looks to have been sitting out in the open weather. Maybe rain made its way down the pipe and rusted the rings to the bore. Hopefully the chain is salvageable because it appears to be 1/2" chisel.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The pipe looks like an old shifter kart pipe, sized for a YT-125 or similar. The carb looks like a BDC carb. I'm betting it's a 101 engine or a variant. Look for the removable head.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah Jacob, I'd say it's a removable head based on the size of gap where the gasket would be where both versions of the 125 seem to have the same gap as the rest of the fins. Also, the fin configuration matches the 101.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi All
So i rescued it to late.
It is an alcohol saw because the PO neglected it after alcohol took hold of him.
I had some time this evening to take it apart as far as i could.I hope that i can get it to run again but it will take some parts and time.Too bad i believe it original owner died and it was sold to the guy i got it from.I used to buy sled parts from the original owner and I'll bet the saw had some money in it.
Does anyone have or know where i can get a socket for the rod bolts.The rollers were still shiny so i am hoping the crank will be savable.
The inside of the carb is full of white powder but seeing it is huge a person should be able to crawl through the passages and clean them.
The head is removable rough bore of 2 3/8" carb bore of 1 3/8" the cylinder from my IEL Beaver is 1 7/16"
Anything special about the read cage?034.JPG 047.JPG 036.JPG 041.JPG 032.JPG

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The pipe had a cap in it as well as the cap over the carb...
3 years ago i was at the guys place just after he did a display for the state fair.The piped saw was in a log on a trailer out in the open,the pipe was not the culprit the water got in through the carb.
Seems to have a better quality fan shroud and fan?
Any guesses on the carb? no numbers or letters anywhere.

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 51

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And a few more...
How about the clutch anything special about it?
And some body mentioned chain it's been stoned on the sides and he was a Stihl dealer.36" from roller tip to body
Anyone ever seen a tank like that one around?
And a view through the exhaust.
So i would love to get any info anyone has on this saw.I hope to get it running again some day.I just had to see if thee was anything left to save and getting a socket for the rod will help.Once i get the crank out i can work on getting the piston out.Then the true story will be told.

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    306 KB · Views: 122

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The pipe had a cap in it as well as the cap over the carb...
3 years ago i was at the guys place just after he did a display for the state fair.The piped saw was in a log on a trailer out in the open,the pipe was not the culprit the water got in through the carb.
Seems to have a better quality fan shroud and fan?
Any guesses on the carb? no numbers or letters anywhere.
It looks like a BDC carb.

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get some marvel mystery oil soaking on that piston

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I live near a vintage snowmobile shop that has every imaginable part. If by chance it has snowmobile parts I can probably get some for you if needed. Identifying what you got is going to be the hardest part (obviously).

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yukon Stihl, yup those Macs were top dogs on the PNW coast in the 1970's- early '80s.
My older brothers ran a couple of Walkersized Mac 101 kart saws back then. They were running 34mm Tilly HR carbs on them. One of their buddies had one too. All 3 have been laying in card board boxes in pieces ever since here in northern Manitoba.

Get a hold of Bob Walker in Nanaimo, B.C. he was the guy who built these saws and I can"t think of anyone on the planet who knows these Macs like he does.

Here's a pic of my brother Dennis running his 101. They were darn quick at the time.
Dennis1.jpg

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That pipe on my brothers 101 has a inverted stinger pipe inside the outer cone.
Works better then outside they say.
Couple of the 101s balance weights broke off the cranks and blew them up.
Dennis1.jpg

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It isn't really a "pressed on" clutch .The shaft is tapered,but not keyed .The taper acts like a Morse taper drill bit with the wedging action .McCulloch outlined in a service alert the reason they went to that was to prevent tearing out of the keyway slot which ruins the crankshaft .Matter of fact I have several ruined cranks from 10 series engines that did just that .
You could probably save most of that saw but it will need some parts no doubt .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think they called that reed set up a "V4 " which has more area than the double flat reeds .I'm not certain weather it was an OEM option or after market but would assume the later .During the golden age of two cycle karting there were many after market suppliers for just about every engine made including of all things an AH 47 Power products .