Northeast Cold Spell

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's been getting below zero at night for about two weeks .Before that I never even fired the wood stove,since 7 and 24 .I'm just about done with my second face cord of white oak .The Ranger holds about a face cord which is about 1 week at these temps .I back it in the garage and fill the wood box every afternoon .Only takes me about 10 minutes,simple,easy .
Kind of funny,one face cord equates to one coal bucket of ashes .

mels

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Late to the party...

Was down on Oak Island North Carolina for a couple days earlier this week helping a friend figure out some mechanicals at a house he inherited and how to make it more attractive to a buyer.

Left there at 0230hrs yesterday morning for the 700 mile drive back to Connecticut, 19F when we split.

Though not "cold" by comparison up here, 19 ain't no joke for those folks down there!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True Dat Mels. I have relatives in NC. When it snows, no one from down there seem to know how to drive in it. Plus the cities and towns have very limited snow removal equipment.
Not really too many sanding trucks or snow plows.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep chunking wood on the fire guys, the Midwest had to go through this, I guess it's your folks turn now. Frankly we can use the break, -20 temps were awfully hard on the wood shed. Hang tough guys, you'll enjoy when it's gone. :)

mels

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Moved here to CT from NC in High School and I fondly remember the town getting shut down over a dusting of snow.

Seems in recent years they've had more snow in parts of NC than we've had in CT

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Late to the party...

Was down on Oak Island North Carolina for a couple days earlier this week helping a friend figure out some mechanicals at a house he inherited and how to make it more attractive to a buyer.

Left there at 0230hrs yesterday morning for the 700 mile drive back to Connecticut, 19F when we split.

Though not "cold" by comparison up here, 19 ain't no joke for those folks down there!

All these characterizations about Norf Caroliner people and snow (for the most part) are true.
We have had single digits here in the last few weeks. It snowed around 6 inches here and most everything comes to a halt.
Since the local guys are not geared up for it with many plows and stuffs -- most people hunker down and stay in.
They called school off for 3 days -- from Wednesday to Friday. :cool: