Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what I'm talkin about....! Lol
But I'm 35, 6'2", 230 lbs, and young and dumb.... lol

I tried to take a reading today. I failed. I pulled it over twice and then went to lunch. I meant to swap the jugs and piston today but I just ran out of time.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what I'm talkin about....! Lol
But I'm 35, 6'2", 230 lbs, and young and dumb.... lol

You might be young, but a new recoil assembly is gonna cost you the same ;) This is on it's second in 3 years.
I am still waiting on the local dealer to get the needle bearings in. I didn't want to do this swap with both the old ones in. Was supposed to be today :(

I'm falling behind...

163996215.f6vyUTWs.jpg

163996231.LZFuwVqi.jpg

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Well I'm back to the pair of 288's. I got the transfer off off the plating in the second saw, but think I got a little to happy with the Emory cloth around the ports. Think I should have started with a more aggressive grit, would have worked fast and I wouldn't have "sat" as long around the port..... oh well. This cylinder was a long shot to start with. I'm not a big fan of the last guys idea of a port job.
What do you guys think if I run it? How do you think the plating will hold up? I don't care about the cylinder, but it needs new piston. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this top end but would like to see it run and maybe learn a few things about the last porters ideas of what it should be. Not sure if I want to buy a meteor just to have it ruined in the bore. Or end up having a bad cylinder from the start as new cylinder already come with pistons.....
If anyone had an ok use piston for cheap I might be interested.
Before:
IMG_3593.JPG After:IMG_3663.JPGwhat do you guys think if i run it with the plating like that. I don't care about the life to much....

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
11:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I'm back to the pair of 288's. I got the transfer off off the plating in the second saw, but think I got a little to happy with the Emory cloth around the ports. Think I should have started with a more aggressive grit, would have worked fast and I wouldn't have "sat" as long around the port..... oh well. This cylinder was a long shot to start with. I'm not a big fan of the last guys idea of a port job.
What do you guys think if I run it? How do you think the plating will hold up? I don't care about the cylinder, but it needs new piston. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this top end but would like to see it run and maybe learn a few things about the last porters ideas of what it should be. Not sure if I want to buy a meteor just to have it ruined in the bore. Or end up having a bad cylinder from the start as new cylinder already come with pistons.....
Before:
View attachment 151491 After:View attachment 151492what do you guys think if i run it with the plating like that. I don't care about the life to much....
From the pictures, I'd run it on my own saw. I don't think it would hurt anything. Meteor pistons aren't to expensive if you do have a problem.

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know this is a question often asked and covered, most of you have your own way that works well for removing flywheels. However This question always seams to resurface. So I made a video on how I remove my flywheels.

I built these knockers on my lathe and cover the details in this thread on the first page. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so a video must be worth 2 thousand...
At the 38 sec mark you can hear the difference when it pops free.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before:
View attachment 151491 After:View attachment 151492what do you guys think if i run it with the plating like that. I don't care about the life to much....
Somebody did a nice job opening them lowers to mimick a Jonsered 930.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
10:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These 288 are tough saws. I clean out half pound of oil soaked sawdust from mine. Put a new hyway kit in it and base gasket deleted. She sings.
The original P&C was so worn that the piston is 0.2mm smaller than the bore. But crank and bearing seems fine.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These 288 are tough saws. I clean out half pound of oil soaked sawdust from mine. Put a new hyway kit in it and base gasket deleted. She sings.
The original P&C was so worn that the piston is 0.2mm smaller than the bore. But crank and bearing seems fine.
Yes sir they are definitely tough. Same crank is used in 394/395, bullet proof bottom end for the smaller 54mm bore of the 288. Great saw.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the 288 back together. All I did was give it some more intake timing and width, but nothing crazy. And I opened up the bottom transfers maybe 4mm to get rid of the lip mainly. I want a mostly stock running saw. And it did have that great stock idle we're used to hearing, but a much better throttle response. It did... the wiring is messed up. So got to repair that. I'm away from the estate for a bit here, so shes still sitting :(

Anyone got a wiring diagram so I don't mess it up since I prolly won't see her for a month, and god knows who is gonna mess with it when I am away...?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the 288 back together. All I did was give it some more intake timing and width, but nothing crazy. And I opened up the bottom transfers maybe 4mm to get rid of the lip mainly. I want a mostly stock running saw. And it did have that great stock idle we're used to hearing, but a much better throttle response. It did... the wiring is messed up. So got to repair that. I'm away from the estate for a bit here, so shes still sitting :(

Anyone got a wiring diagram so I don't mess it up since I prolly won't see her for a month, and god knows who is gonna mess with it when I am away...?
Blue wire to kill switch, red wire to secondary coil in carb box

Edited to correct wire color to coil

Last edited:

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Sorry to dig up an old thread but I’m FINALLY back on rebuilding These pair of 288’s. Last post from me looks like a year and a half ago. B015CF6D-3212-4195-A957-C66B66799056.jpegThe saws hasn’t move from the bench the whole time. I just worked on my other projects around them. Its been to long and I would like my bench back lol.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi everyone. Sorry to dig up an old thread but I’m FINALLY back on rebuilding These pair of 288’s. Last post from me looks like a year and a half ago. View attachment 241327The saws hasn’t move from the bench the whole time. I just worked on my other projects around them. Its been to long and I would like my bench back lol.
You might think it took a while to update, but it wasn't. Lots of guys living in the real world dont have all the time available to them. I'm at the same point with a very special 024 that was given to me.