High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Next up, round 2-288xp rebuild

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just did a thread about my 272xp build which was my first ever saw build and mod. I will be going back into that saw at some point and posting updates in that thread as I do so.

This thread will be about my 2nd ever attempt at a saw build, a 288xp that I bought at a pawn shop. Unlike the 272 thread, (i joint this forum after that saw was back together...) this one will be done in real time for the most part as I go through the build. It will not be a hi speed build as I have a wife, 2 small kids and a business to run. This is just a fun Hobby to get me out of the house and into the garage. You know, some me time....

When I bought this saw the pawn shop owner said "it's a runner".... but we all know what that can mean. Lol. He wanted $399.99 for it... I tried to start it and the thing popped and sputtered a few times and that was it. The fuel tank was empty and smelled like varnish.... the compression felt pretty weak to me. I told him if it had gas I'm sure it would "run" but even a wore out '72 bug can get you across town, that fact by it self doesn't make it a good car... I said in the word of cahinsaws there are "runners", "builders", and "parts saw". This saw may "run" but that doesn't put it in the first category. It did have a 36" b/c on it and was complete.

I was looking for one of these to build for a little while. He wanted way to much I thought for this saw so I offered $200 he would move off of $250...I had 3 options as I was holding this saw:
1-wait and try to find one better locally for sale at a good price... who knows how long that can take.
2-wait, look and find a builder on line for a good price and pay the shipping.
Or
3- Buy this one for $250 and move on....
I picked option 3....
Please let me know if I did ok or payed to much.... IMG_3476.JPGIMG_3477.JPG
I did start to take it apart before I realized that I didn't have any pictures of it before hand so I mocked it back up for you guys. Right away we know it needs a new clutch side cover....
I look forward to having this community helping on the build, I can't do it on my own.

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I started to take the 288 all the way apart...
Beings as I know nothing about the history of this saw and have the tools I decided to split the case a see what we got... I'm glad I did...
Another rookie move... split the case with out draining to bar oil.... Nice:facepalm:
IMG_3474.JPG IMG_3501.JPG
Might be time to clean up the bench a little bit....
IMG_3502.JPG

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This saw looked ok from the out side. I think someone whipped it down quick before the pawned it.

But on the inside.... This thing was packed full with saw dust....
IMG_3495.JPG IMG_3500.JPG IMG_3486.JPG IMG_3487.JPG
And these little round brown balls that were in odd places. One of which was the size of a marble and down between the coil and the front of the case.
IMG_3480.JPG
They are sawdust and oil formed over time by just rolling around in the corners.....
I don't think the last guy ever cleaned this thing....:(

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I started to take the 288 all the way apart...
Beings as I know nothing about the history of this saw and have the tools I decided to split the case a see what we got... I'm glad I did...
Another rookie move... split the case with out draining to bar oil.... Nice:facepalm:
View attachment 147897 View attachment 147896
Might be time to clean up the bench a little bit....
View attachment 147898

If ya didn't know you will now but mag saws on concrete will make them vulnerable to white death.

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How did you manage to get the flywheel off? Mine seems permanent.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Just like @XP_Slinger mentioned. I built a "flywheel knocker", One for my 272 and one for my 288. It is a piece of 3/4" round stock that I knurled then faced it in my lathe for true, then welded an old flywheel nut on to the end. Threads right on to the crank end. The crank should bottoms out against the 3/4" stock inside the nut. You don't want to be driving agains the threads! Tread it on snug making sure the nut is not bottomed out against the flywheel, then hold the remaining saw carcass off the bench by the flywheel (probably do this part later in the tear down if possible so it lighter) with one hand and give it a few, not hard, just firm, sharp smacks with a hammer, doesn't even need to be a big hammer. Your just "shocking" it. Should come right off. I think that some of the saw manufacturers might even have a part number for this type of tool...
IMG_3498.JPG IMG_3499.JPG

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If ya didn't know you will now but mag saws on concrete will make them vulnerable to white death.
Yeah I don't keep them there. That saw on the ground is just a 2100 parts saw really bad cracked case. I'm into cars and you find a lot of magnesium 12 spoke spindle Mount front wheels that are half rotted away from that problem. Mag does not like being grounded or moisture!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I don't keep them there. That saw on the ground is just a 2100 parts saw really bad cracked case. I'm into cars and you find a lot of magnesium 12 spoke spindle Mount front wheels that are half rotted away from that problem. Mag does not like being grounded or moisture!

Right on!

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How does the top end look?
Good question.
Like I posted earlier. I think this saw had pretty low comp. when I got it. Not sure what to do here.
What do you all think?
IMG_3533.JPG IMG_3534.JPG IMG_3536.JPG IMG_3537.JPG
The lines above the exhaust port can't be felt really at all. The small searches below the intake are from me. I lightly moved a pick across to see if there was still plating on it. There is... How ever, to me the plating is looking a little thin..... there is no real sign of cross hatching left where the piston rides. But what do you guys think?

Last edited:

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Factory p/c kits are around $150-$160. I could pick one up. So I have a few options:
1- Buy new p/c oem kit.
2- Hone the cylinder and put a new ring on this piston.
3- Hone the cylinder and put a meteor piston kit in it.
I could also buy an oem kit for later and do options 2 or 3 to play with now..... or....
Opinions?