New to me muzzleloader score

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to the fun store after work yesterday to look around and pick up some primers. Saw something with a wood stock amongst the black and camo plastic on the muzzleloader shelf so I had to check it out. Turns out it was a late model NEF Huntsman .50 cal which uses a shotgun receiver and can take extra barrels. It was in awesome condition other than a big scratch on top of the receiver and, best of all, no Pyrodex induced cancer.

NEF/H&R didn't advertise these very well, but they are a great alternative to other inlines. USA made, wood stock and forend, Williams front and rear sights, and can use H&R shotgun barrels. The factory breech plug uses 209 primers in a plastic disc, however a firm called Metrics Unlimited makes a breech plug which does not require discs. I got one of these rifles about 5 years ago for $176.00 and counted myself lucky. This particular one was $95.00 so now I have two. Will post pics when I get home.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took the new to me Huntsman out today for a test fire. So far, it shoots just as good as my older one. Only problem I found is that the stock has been shortened by 1.5". I can still shoot it just fine, maybe it will be a good first gun for my daughter or my best friend's kids. I use patched round balls over 70 grains Triple 7 in both. Very accurate at least out to 60 yards or so and the patches help keep the fouling at bay.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, another front stuffer joined the herd today. Went to an out of the way pawn shop today and found a TC New Englander .50 caliber percussion rifle on the rack. It was pretty tired looking with dings on the stock and some extra holes drilled and tapped presumably for a scope mount, as the rear sight was missing. The bore was surprisingly shiny with sharp rifling other than a few patches of surface rust. Can't really explain why, but I wanted it and so it came home for $75.00 total.

Of course, it was still loaded from the previous owner as all used muzzleloaders are. I put a cap on the nipple, pointed it into the backyard, and it fired without a hitch. Out of curiosity, I loaded up 70 grains Triple 7 and a patched round ball and it fired that load just fine too. Repeated twice more and it fired just as sure as my inline. Look forward to seeing how well it shoots after I get a rear sight for it!

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the same model until recently. Good shooters but I traded it for a White mountain carbine.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you shoot in it? I'll probably stick to patched roundballs if they shoot well. I hope Triple 7 always works as well in this rifle as it did today.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you shoot in it? I'll probably stick to patched roundballs if they shoot well. I hope Triple 7 always works as well in this rifle as it did today.
Loose triple 7, 65 grains, and patched round balls. Tried buffalo buffalo balls, but didn't group as well. The carbine is short barreled and doesn't seem to like a hot load.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys ever use blackhorn 209 ?
It's all I use nowadays cleans easy with Butch's bore shine just 3 patches good to go.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will probably start using it in my inline when the price comes down to Earth. Everyone, including the manufacturer, says that it needs a 209 primer for reliable ignition. Right now Blackhorn costs about twice as much as T7 and I'm quite happy with the latter. 'Specially when I pick it up dirt cheap after the season closes!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loose triple 7, 65 grains, and patched round balls. Tried buffalo buffalo balls, but didn't group as well. The carbine is short barreled and doesn't seem to like a hot load.

65 grains T7 is equivalent to 80 grains Pyrodex or 2F, velocity wise. I find that seems to be the sweet spot for alot of different slugs.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, I got 'em! Used to get good results with the Remington primers made specifically for inlines, but they have vanished around here.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rear sight showed up yesterday so the New Englander is ready to make smoke as soon as I get some daylight to do so. I've been scrubbing the bore with steel wool and WD-40 and I believe it is at the point where it will shoot at least minute of deer. I wouldn't mind just sticking with roundballs and close distances with this rifle. Most places I hunt you are unlikely to get a shot over 100 yards anyway.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You say you don't do not have deep pockets or just totally out of your mind! Every Muzzle loader shooter with a Inline likes telling every one to pay the money for BH 209. You don't even need to clean the rifle when the seson is over even they like to say.

My pockets are not deep and and I believe my mind functions just fine. I also like guns. Like women they are really nice to fondle and cress. I try to make it a point to shoot some thing a rifle, mostly a shot gun and some times a pistol once a week.

I like the satafaction of shooting a squirrel with a round I hand loaded in a rifle I have loveingly cleaned cressed and fondled.

I'd shoot real black powder if I could walk into a gun shop or Walmart and buy the stuff but you can't, but can buy do it with T7.

:D Al

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nobody sells real blackpowder around here. I'm very happy with T7 so I'll stick with it.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I shoot T7 also and like it but would shoot real black if you could get it with paying a huge hasmat fee.

About 2006 I was in Walmart after ML hunting season and bought 6 pound jugs of T7 for $11.00 on sale. I have about 3 jugs left.

:D Al

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
2:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Between Dad and I we have 3x 50 cals, a 54 cal, and 3x cap and ball 44's...

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our crossbow season is almost as long as bow season now, I didn't even take the smokepoles into the woods last year. Will do so this year though.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Come to Pa where we still have a real season yet. Flintlock. I do own a cpl inlines but very rarely get them out. Flintlocks only like blackpowder but inlines get the triple 7 or pyrodex. Primer ignition is far hotter.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought I would update this thread. The tired old TC New Englander is still shooting great, gave it some exercise today in fact. 70 grains of T7 under a patched round ball is what it likes so I stick with that. Also, I bought a Lee 200 grain .44 caliber flat point mold to use with sabots in my inline, hope to try 'em out tomorrow. Our first muzzleloader season comes in October 12 and I've never taken a deer with one, all my deer have been with centerfire rifle so far.