Reaction score
Country flag

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You have some time in that one. Good job! How does she run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here's my last entry: I think I'm gonna skip the tail clip and add the boot lace stropping on the next one. Maybe I'll hog out a little more on the inside for Chip clearance similar to what Deets did on his previous close up pic. Do some more dog boning and thinning of the chassis as well. I don't know about you guys but I'm always second-guessing myself after I complete one of these....
Outside:
ad9dd28bca5d29db9a1c3909ace9322c.jpg

Inside:
d10ca5f257d0c76d5a4910a9cfb08efd.jpg

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are you guys liking the Oregon LPX/LGX Anti Vibe cutters for race chain?
Last race chain I built was over 20 years and there was no Anti Vibe cutters back then.

For the guys not in the know, about 12 or a little more years ago Oregon and Stihl introduced a design of cutter to help cut down on vibration. Stihl calls it "Comfort" with a C stamped on the cutter. Oregon's trademark stamp is a 1 barbed arrow between the rivets.
The modification they did was they made the bottom of the cutter thinner under the heel rivet and left it thicker under the toe rivet.
The cutter's opposite side link is equal on both the heel and cutter.
That little clearance space under the cutter's heel is a "shock absorber" when the cutter rocks back while entering the wood.
Now the only problem I can see with this is flex in the cutter to a small extent because the opposite side link is riding the bar rails level.
Just my 2 cents.....any thoughts?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right and Left tie straps are different. They have the same 'clipped heel' as the cutters.

Philbert

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't run too much Chain manufactured prior to the design changes. I'd like to get my hands on some of the old design stuff and build a race chain of both new and old styles and do some comparison testing. The additional bumper links on LPX, and clearanced heal on RSC/LGX does reduce vibration with minimal effect on cutting speed. That said most guys building "race chains" generally try to stay away from the additional bumper links or grind them off altogether. When some of the older stock does become available it tends to get snatched up pretty quickly from what I've heard. If any of you guys still have a roll of the older stock I would be interested in purchasing a loop from you. 3/8 -.050-72 DL.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right and Left tie straps are different. They have the same 'clipped heel' as the cutters.

Philbert
Thanks for the input Philbert.
Like I said it's been many moons since I built a race chain. But upon matching 72LGX to 33RSC you can see the Oregon side links are like you say right and left, even the rolls link bag are right left.
But I use Stihl chain mostly and as you see this 33RSC side links has no measurable difference in toe and heel thickness but wear marks on cutter does show clipped heel.
But I think some of the older Oregon Anti Vibe was like this Stihl Comfort chain.

Rain today so I got my truck at the dealership getting warranty work done and all my new Stihl chain is on it. Will compare some of that chain tonight.

Attachments

• 20170515_151641.jpg
    20170515_151641.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 43

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are spinning a loop and put a single R tie strap on the L side, no one will notice or care.

If you mount these chains in a calibrated test bench, the reduced vibration apparently is measurable.

Philbert

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I can see the design of the Oregon chassis reducing vibration in a roller-coaster movement. Talk about "extra porposing":D
But what's your take on cutting efficiency?

Carlton chain is still old school non vibe.
I had good success with the old Windsor AT chain

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Again, the chain designers / engineers at Oregon, STIHL, etc. have calibrated test fixtures that can measure stuff very accurately, under different conditions, and in different species of wood.

A small difference in cutter shape, or sharpening angles, can be significant.

As a practical matter, since I cut a variety of stuff, if it's sharp, and it cuts, I'm happy.

Philbert

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I heard over 20 years ago from one field test engineer the "big" chain manufacturer no longer wants to bother field testing their sawchain with pro endusers.
And it sounds like that's the way it still is today. Everything designed on computer software and tested in the laboratory.

But back on topic I think the altered cutter and link design to reduce vibration does not belong for maximum cutting effiency of race chain.
The Stihl .404 RST high tooth is a prime example.

Last edited: