huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
4:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran my Stock Stihl 029 FB for over 20 years at 50:1. Piston and cylinder looked like new when I sold it. Mostly Stihl orange bottle.
50cc lower performance engine, also. It was probably tuned to 12 k and spent its life in wood at 8k. As opposed to being tuned to 14k and spending its life at 10 K in the wood

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes Kevin. Thus my preface of a stock saw tuned correctly at 50:1
Lots of stock saws tune at 14 or 14,5k and run 10k in wood though. Could be why your stock 029 survived for so long and others spinning faster didn't

Last edited:

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cut a lot of wood with that bugger though. Just 1 saw. Then I came here and now I have many!!!! LOL
Oh I hear ya. My dad had an excavating business and had a few 039's. They ran pretty well for years unless they got run over, which happens with multiple employees

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys are making nervous about my 390. I like that saw, its smooth with good power and easy on fuel for its size
Don’t overthink it. I cut about 15,000 bd feet on the landing today with a 562 on 50/1 and it’s just fine :). I do however think saws benefit from more oil in the mix. They will be more “tolerant” of abuse such as subpar chains and blocked cylinder fins. I will be mentioning to my boss about the benefits of 40:1 the next time he fills his gas jug. Few extra cents gallon shouldn’t hurt anyone and you get better long term longevity. Keep the chain SHARP, clean the saw often, good mix gas/oil and saw will last a long time. Pretty simple really.

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joe,

Your intake skirt is fairly polished, I think it would be worthwhile to slap a new piston in it and see if the knock goes away. I think the knock in your saw sounds exactly like the one in Dave’s video a few pages back. His sounds more intense but I’d be willing to bet that’s because of how phones pick up sounds in videos. Next time you’re down here or I’m up there we should get a video of it running for comparison.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could pull the cylinder and slip a feeler gauge in there to see. Certainly can't hurt. Normal so far for me has been .0015" (which seemed a little tight but ran well) to .004".

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Joe,

Your intake skirt is fairly polished, I think it would be worthwhile to slap a new piston in it and see if the knock goes away. I think the knock in your saw sounds exactly like the one in Dave’s video a few pages back. His sounds more intense but I’d be willing to bet that’s because of how phones pick up sounds in videos. Next time you’re down here or I’m up there we should get a video of it running for comparison.
I was thinking about getting a vid as well.

Easy and cheap enough to toss a new Meteor in there. And if it doesn't cure it I'm really not out anything as I was planning to swap the piston out anyway

Huntaholic

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Don’t overthink it. I cut about 15,000 bd feet on the landing today with a 562 on 50/1 and it’s just fine :). I do however think saws benefit from more oil in the mix. They will be more “tolerant” of abuse such as subpar chains and blocked cylinder fins. I will be mentioning to my boss about the benefits of 40:1 the next time he fills his gas jug. Few extra cents gallon shouldn’t hurt anyone and you get better long term longevity. Keep the chain SHARP, clean the saw often, good mix gas/oil and saw will last a long time. Pretty simple really.
If youre talking about bucking them from tree length to log length, that's a pretty good days work! Just curious as to why youre bucking with a 562? LOL Im afraid to hand my guy on the yard a 562! I seriously doubt it would last a day with him bearing down on it. My "cut up" saw is either an ms461, 576xp or redmax gz7000 which is a 575xp painted red.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If youre talking about bucking them from tree length to log length, that's a pretty good days work! Just curious as to why youre bucking with a 562? LOL Im afraid to hand my guy on the yard a 562! I seriously doubt it would last a day with him bearing down on it. My "cut up" saw is either an ms461, 576xp or redmax gz7000 which is a 575xp painted red.
Yep tree length to log length. It’s a ported and as fast or faster than a stock 372. It zips good with a 20” bar and good chain. Not as much torque as a 390 lol, its only 60cc all things considered. But I like it so far in small/medium wood.

Last edited: