huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
12:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think that saw has enough time on it to have worn piston skirts. I've pulled them down covered in black oil dust goo and JB all down the bottom of the tank to seal off damage from riding on the skidder, but the piston looks like new still. No noticeable wear on the bottom of the skirt. Not saying they're all like that, but the op's saw isn't even in the same category of "used". Not even close

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Joe the rod bearing on these is notorious to split or crack, it stays intact generally but makes noise and grabs when in the right position. I suspect this is your problem, around me the 390 was more prone to this then the 385, I still see 385s come in to the shop for service that have the original crank in them while newer 390s need replaced, not sure why? Odd to think 1mm larger piston could cause it, but it's possible.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Throw an unlimited coil on it and see how long she lasts.

Joe the rod bearing on these is notorious to split or crack, it stays intact generally but makes noise and grabs when in the right position. I suspect this is your problem, around me the 390 was more prone to this then the 385, I still see 385s come in to the shop for service that have the original crank in them while newer 390s need replaced, not sure why? Odd to think 1mm larger piston could cause it, but it's possible.
Maybe the QC department dipped out for lunch when the 390 came around?

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It does sound alot like that but not quite as intense.

Think it would be worth a shot to slap a new piston in and see what she sounds like?
Nope, this one was severely worn. Plating was missing in jug and piston was worn about .008” if I remember correctly.