New riding mower

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to know who makes the best riding mowers. Going to retire in a couple years and would like to just buy one more mower. To many hills slopes for a ZTR mower. Price range will be up to around 5k. Hard to justify that much would like to stay around 3k if there is a good option. I’m tired of buying big box mowers.
Needs to be 48 to 60 inch range. Hydrostat drive is my choice of drive. I mow about 2 acres.
Let me know what you like. To many choices to research them all, and they all claim to be the best.
I’m in no hurry have a working mower now, starting to look.
Thanks for your replies.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Simplicity/Massey Ferguson (same thing with different names) would be my choice. Next would be a better John Deere from an actual dealer. Have you thought about getting a small farm tractor and finish mower? You can buy a very nice 30-40 hp gas engine tractor and finish mower for well under 5k no problem. Ferguson TO-30/TO-35, Ford 8N/NAA/2000 and the like are just perfect. Yes, you can cut really smooth with a finish mower and ag tires will not tear up your lawn. Check out my avatar to see an example!

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Simplicity/Massey Ferguson (same thing with different names) would be my choice. Next would be a better John Deere from an actual dealer. Have you thought about getting a small farm tractor and finish mower? You can buy a very nice 30-40 hp gas engine tractor and finish mower for well under 5k no problem. Ferguson TO-30/TO-35, Ford 8N/NAA/2000 and the like are just perfect. Yes, you can cut really smooth with a finish mower and ag tires will not tear up your lawn. Check out my avatar to see an example!
Thanks yes I have a 30 hp Kubota B2910 great tractor with 60” finish mower. Does great job too heavy in the wet season. Just want to know best choice for dedicated Lawn mower.
May just have to use tractor more if it comes to that. See my avatar also.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One very underrated riding mower is the 1990's and 2000's Troy Bilt GT with the hi-lo varidrive transaxle. I have one and it is a quality machine. I love the varidrive, it gives you hydro convenience with gear drive ruggedness. These machines are built pretty strong and were intended to use a variety of different attachments.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just an observation .It seems to me the zero turns with the caster wheels in the front will hold a slope better than those with the casters in the back .My Toro MX 5400 will hang right on the side of a ditch bank but my fathers 59" Grass Hopper with rear casters would not .
There are advantages and disadvantages to both . The Grass hopper with the deck out front can swing under things while the mid deck Toro can not .The Toro can spin right around a tree in a tight circle while the Grasshopper with the front deck cannot .Both were in the $6000 range of price .
The Grasshopper can pivot the deck up so it's easy to work on the blades etc .The Toro you have to run it up on ramps to change the blades which is a pain in the buttocks to say the least .The Toro has the same ground speed as a Dixie Chopper but the grasshopper doesn't miss it much,both are fast .Both have Kawasaki engines .Mine 23 HP air cooled ,his 26 HP water cooled .

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Simplicity is still pretty good as well as mid to upper level Deere. I would avoid any MTD products or HOP (Husqvara outdoor products) the 2 things that are the first to go on a rider are the steering gears and front axle and the blade deck. A good engine will outlast a mower. Look at the deck and spindle quality and is the front axle cast iron with actual wheel bearings and not plastic bushings.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing to look for is a heavy reinforced deck with heavy spindles .The light weight stamped steel decks are real easy to warp if you hit something like a tree root .Let me tell from experience they are a bear to get unwarped, been there .The lighter weight sealed spindles with aluminum housings will not hold up for a number of years like the heavy cast iron housing spindles with 5/8" shafts or bolts .

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing to look for is a heavy reinforced deck with heavy spindles .The light weight stamped steel decks are real easy to warp if you hit something like a tree root .Let me tell from experience they are a bear to get unwarped, been there .The lighter weight sealed spindles with aluminum housings will not hold up for a number of years like the heavy cast iron housing spindles with 5/8" shafts or bolts .

Sounds like you had a Sears Crapsman mower. AYP junk now owned by Husky. The Revolution series is decent but everthing else is "Crap"sman.

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you had a Sears Crapsman mower. AYP junk now owned by Husky. The Revolution series is decent but everthing else is "Crap"sman.
I have had crapsman and mtd now I have a JD 170 not much better. Just looking for a upgrade before it quits. Money not as tight as it used to be.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Deere 100 series is designed to compete with the MTD stuff and the like. Get a mid to upper grade JD for a decent riding mower.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some other ideas that come to mind:

Kubota riding mower

Farmall Cub or Lowboy with belly mower

Old school Toro Wheel Horse

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I like the Kubota but it can be very pricey. Like they say you get what you pay for.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks yes I have a 30 hp Kubota B2910 great tractor with 60” finish mower. Does great job too heavy in the wet season. Just want to know best choice for dedicated Lawn mower.
May just have to use tractor more if it comes to that. See my avatar also.
Might I suggest a Spartan zero turn?
You mentioned hills and slopes, and this Spartan handles those very well.
Commercial component built for ~$4900
But you can pimp it out with as much money as you can find probably.
It does cut great.
Not one bit of buyers remorse here. This will be it's 3 rd season.

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool looking mower I’ll check it out.
Need to post pictures of my hill. As much hills and slopes as flat ground.
That is where these are supposed to shine.
But I don't have anything that really pushes it's limits.
But it'll mow the *s-word out of a ditch bank.. Sticks like glue.

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, and the roll bar is sorta overkill.
I been thinking about taking it off.

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 123862

And I hate cutting grass..
But I can honestly say, this thing makes it kinda ok.
Ehhh
aedbff345fbe1b9a118298dcad973d48.jpg