High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

New old Super 2. What’s on your to-check list?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys. I’m turning into a no kill chainsaw shelter I guess. People just abandon them on my patio. This used to be my gradfather’s. Pretty stoked on the multi postition handle. Didn’t know such a thing existed.

150 psi, p&c look good. Filthy, and was running rich. Been sitting for who knows how long. 30 years maybe. Run with gas down the carb. Assuming fuel lines, carb kit, vac/pressure test, crank seals for good measure maybe.

I’m semi new to working on saws (been wrenching on other stuff for years), and I’m working through mine and the ones that keep adopting me. (David Bradley on the way too)

There’s plenty of info out there on how to diagnose issues and perform certain tasks, but how do you guys go about tearing into an unknown saw in a logical, efficient order? What things checked in what order? How about cleaning without getting the crud in internal places. This is killing me time wise...

Thanks!

Attachments

• 85AC8068-F018-452C-B701-9CC59A849541.jpeg
    85AC8068-F018-452C-B701-9CC59A849541.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 37

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello and nice little Homelite you have there. As to your question, I almost always go back to the four things an engine needs to run - Intake, compression, ignition and exhaust. If an engine doesn't run, I don't care what kind, it is with one of these four things.
Now as to saw's, where to start, not necessarily in that order. I first want to know that it can turn over or not, then does it feel like it's making compression or not. If things don't seem right here, I pull the muffler and look at the piston. If the saw is able to turn over the next thing I want to know is if there is good spark, by seeing if it will jump a gap on a spark tester. The next thing I want to know is if it will pass a pressure/vac test. As a general rule with saws of this vintage, you are looking at a complete fuel system overhaul, lines, filters and carburetor rebuild. The very last things I look at for repairs is the clutch and starter.
Also on these little Homelites the duck bill tank vents on both tanks are usually toast and need replacement for the saw to run properly. A new coil with module is available from Walbro for these engines and the points and condenser can be done away with if so desired.
Being that the motor is encapsulated in its shell so to say, it will teach you to dot your i's and cross your t's, as it will have to be completely removed to access if something was missed.
@Czed works on these and may have more to add.
Good luck with your saw and enjoy!

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's easiest to take it apart which you will anyway.
For fuel line's and carb kit.
3x5 line's if memory serves
Go ahead and order a duckbill valve
For the oil line 5 packs are less than 10.00.
The saw's collect a lot of chips and crud
Inside the case's.
While you have the oil and fuel tanks out.
They come out together easiest.
Just pressure wash or whatever clean the
Inside good.
Simple saw's to work on.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Adirondackstihl Rad wasp nest. Awesome, thanks!

I think I’m gonna soak it with WD, that seems to loosen stuff up well. It has some hard deposits in the starter cover.

Then pressure wash, blow out, disassemble, further clean and test the components.

Got a scored mini Mac (learned to saw with one) that is gonna get it too, probably later this summer...and a Super XL 925, etc...

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Adirondackstihl Rad wasp nest. Awesome, thanks!

I think I’m gonna soak it with WD, that seems to loosen stuff up well. It has some hard deposits in the starter cover.

Then pressure wash, blow out, disassemble, further clean and test the components.

Got a scored mini Mac (learned to saw with one) that is gonna get it too, probably later this summer...and a Super XL 925, etc...
Mini Mac Eager Beaver 2.0 was my first saw as well. I have have (2) in the shop that are minty and probably just needing fuel system overhauls. I may break into one of them at some point.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice Homies!!! They are more a labor of love because they are not worth much money. They sure cut very well for what they are. I have several variations of them my favorite one is a vi super 2. Atleast it has some anti vibe stuff. I grew up using it. Then to a poulan 3400 then to a husky 350. Now to all the others lol. You guys are terrible enablers.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a double trigger baby Homelite myself .Freebie,bad condenser ..Goofy set up,points and condenser as a unit .I replaced it with a small condenser of unknown origin and it worked .It runs but it's another one of my many shelf queens .

Cowboy3688

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Fun little saw's for sure. I've a few folks still using theirs for around the house. One fella as a topping saw! The rear handle is the best part.

View attachment 116613
View attachment 116612
You bet, take a dog collar with D ring and put around the back of that back handle...poke a hole close nuff that the collar is tight and you can really be quick and easy for climbin' with it....them little saws are great and fun2run...lol

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always keep one of them in my arsenal..nice little saws. When I get one in I always check the duckbill valve inside the oil tank, if it's shot or not there then I replace it, that keeps the saw from sucking oil out of the tank and into the engine. Seldom ever need a carb kit for these saws but sometimes they help. Another duckbill valve on the side of the fuel tank near the top...