New milling bar!

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a bit of info in just chains that provides more than enough info on square chisel sharping. Reading all the several years of posts led me to get ready to stone my milling chains.
I've dressed the new off the reel square chisel for cutters and depth guages before I ever put it in the log.
Running my 661 or ms-460 I operate throwing the chips away from me, cutting on the part of the bar recieving oil from the power head. But then I am not quite right in so many ways View attachment 127086 That Ash was leaned against a telephone pole, as it sits here. Stayed as flat as day it was sliced after 20 months air dry. White oak slabs that shared a cut (thru the pith) for the fine quarter sawn effect cupped badly while Pecan slices cut about 14 months ago air-dried nice and flat even though they were off center and I expected the worse. The bar on the saw here is the 42" Oregon that sees the most use because I have the most interest in 29" & larger diameter logs that the 24" bandmill guys leave lay and the firewood guys like to watch what I do.
Watching different threads convinced me to try the square grind. It seemed to hold an edge well. Interesting how you cut with the top of the bar Tony. I never thought about that. I may give that a try. How many drivers are you running on the 50"? I had some 156 and 158. The 158 was too loose and the 156 was a real pain to get on. Maybe I need to go 157.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watching different threads convinced me to try the square grind. It seemed to hold an edge well. Interesting how you cut with the top of the bar Tony. I never thought about that. I may give that a try. How many drivers are you running on the 50"? I had some 156 and 158. The 158 was too loose and the 156 was a real pain to get on. Maybe I need to go 157.

I borrowed Mikes 50" Cannon with chains for a large maple base. I had to remove the clutch to get the chain on (394w/7 pin). They were 156 drivers.

Awesome bar! I've milled a ton and found the square filed is more durable. I have a hard time filing the one side while on the mill though. It cuts much faster.

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I borrowed Mikes 50" Cannon with chains for a large maple base. I had to remove the clutch to get the chain on (394w/7 pin). They were 156 drivers.

Awesome bar! I've milled a ton and found the square filed is more durable. I have a hard time filing the one side while on the mill though. It cuts much faster.
Thanks Wolverine. It took 2 of us a little while to work the 156 on but we managed. I knew the 158 wouldn't work. Not enough adjustment to tension it up. The square did seem to stay sharp longer. Seems I learn something new every time I mill. I'm using Oregon chain and it did seem to stretch a bit after cutting. Maybe it won't be so stubborn mounting it from now on.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Wolverine. It took 2 of us a little while to work the 156 on but we managed. I knew the 158 wouldn't work. Not enough adjustment to tension it up. The square did seem to stay sharp longer. Seems I learn something new every time I mill. I'm using Oregon chain and it did seem to stretch a bit after cutting. Maybe it won't be so stubborn mounting it from now on.

Oregon seems to stretch first use. On the 50" & longer bars I lose count so I have built the loop on the bar mounted on a powerhead using a couple washers, then the cover after the rivets are set. IME That is as tight as I can get, which allows for the stretch on first use and keeps enough adjustment available for a while. I have not seen enough use for the 60" bar to know if it will need shortening.
That mounting thing is a PITA enough to convince me to continue to learn touch up on the mill rather than swap a fresh loop in the field except for the time a drive sprocket broke in the cut!

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon seems to stretch first use. On the 50" & longer bars I lose count so I have built the loop on the bar mounted on a powerhead using a couple washers, then the cover after the rivets are set. IME That is as tight as I can get, which allows for the stretch on first use and keeps enough adjustment available for a while. I have not seen enough use for the 60" bar to know if it will need shortening.
That mounting thing is a PITA enough to convince me to continue to learn touch up on the mill rather than swap a fresh loop in the field except for the time a drive sprocket broke in the cut!

Can you please count the dl?

Is 157 what’s needed for the 50”?

Is your 661 Stock or has it been made better?

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I got several new loops of Oregon. Stock 661 with 50" Cannon bar. The 158 drivers were too big. 156 drivers fit but took a bit of messing with it to get it on but seemed to loosen a bit after running. I don't know if 157 would work or not. I'll take it to my dealer and have him shorter it for me.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

661 came with a ported cylinder, emptied muffler & stock muffler cover which was detrimental to bettering the exhaust flow. I've opened the standard port, and drilled a bunch of small holes in the cover that are slightly larger than the openings in the spark arrest screen. Now it breaths and throws chips further. The PH only was less than a new stock one through a trading Post . The inside of the muffler was clean so as it breaks in and I find the right amount of openings to bring the power nearest max I will just run it. I've asked a few people about timing advance. The response that made the most sense was No Advance because it adds heat to an extra hot use of a saw.
I am less likely to come up with two numbers of dl's with my short-term memory malfunction which will match. Part of the reason I build long loops with the bar mounted.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish I could've made it. Hopefully, I'll make a gtg someday.

First gtg was in muscoutah Ill, east of St. Louis where I got the pecan. Uncle Moustache had the dropping job and told me how to find it. Cody from the opposite side of town up north had his first milling experience with my equipment. His was already on order and got modified a bit after the gtg. Josh didn't participate but observed a bit early and late. Not too big, unlike last year GTG in Iowa:headbang:. Couple folks operating saws is bout all it takes.

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You back up to speed yet?
Sort of. Thanks for asking. Been having digestive issues for over 4 years and nobody can figure it out. Tests showed my gallbladder was hyperactive so they removed it. I felt good for about 3 weeks and then back to being sick again.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sort of. Thanks for asking. Been having digestive issues for over 4 years and nobody can figure it out. Tests showed my gallbladder was hyperactive so they removed it. I felt good for about 3 weeks and then back to being sick again.

You and me are on the same boat. Coming up on four years now. Beat two sicknesses. Now they say this and say that. No cutting on me. No thanks on the pharmaceutical guinea pig thing for my gut. If they figure out anything I'll decide what gets cut out and when.
The stuff a few years back cost so much money it becomes staggering. With out a grant towards my meds I'd be *f-worded. They were 4125 bucks a week for eight weeks. Now they want 750 for the deductible to start in a new direction searching. Then it's 20% OOP as it continues. I'm like wtf... Insurance lol...
Good Luck

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You and me are on the same boat. Coming up on four years now. Beat two sicknesses. Now they say this and say that. No cutting on me. No thanks on the pharmaceutical guinea pig thing for my gut. If they figure out anything I'll decide what gets cut out and when.
The stuff a few years back cost so much money it becomes staggering. With out a grant towards my meds I'd be *frenched. They were 4125 bucks a week for eight weeks. Now they want 750 for the deductible to start in a new direction searching. Then it's 20% OOP as it continues. I'm like wtf... Insurance lol...
Good Luck
It's extremely frustrating. I drive truck so digestive issues are very chaotic. I literally feel sick to my stomach 24/7. Haven't been able to eat a meal without getting sick. I've had every test imaginable, most multiple times, and nothing shows up. To function at work, I just have to starve myself all week. It just makes you want to give up. I can't even make plans because I never know how I'm going to feel. I've got a pretty good life but dealing with this has just turned it upside down.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's extremely frustrating. I drive truck so digestive issues are very chaotic. I literally feel sick to my stomach 24/7. Haven't been able to eat a meal without getting sick. I've had every test imaginable, most multiple times, and nothing shows up. To function at work, I just have to starve myself all week. It just makes you want to give up. I can't even make plans because I never know how I'm going to feel. I've got a pretty good life but dealing with this has just turned it upside down.
Ditto. Try driving to the job, then climb.
Best part about stopping. "Sorry, it's out of service." GFY... GFY... GFY...

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You'll have to shoot me a PM. We can compare notes and procedures etc. Maybe we can help each other out. I've had some success with certain meds. Things have changed since my surgery but I'm still trying to figure it out. Haven't lost all hope yet!

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You'll have to shoot me a PM. We can compare notes and procedures etc. Maybe we can help each other out. I've had some success with certain meds. Things have changed since my surgery but I'm still trying to figure it out. Haven't lost all hope yet!

*f-word the PM. Just adds more to do right now.

You been milling with that 50" this month?

Got wood now to 75" @ the Y. Needs to be broke down more. Just a 60"x 15' x75Y pin oak butt. Found some old crotchety mullbury to 60".