Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The plating is sweet, as it the squish band and combustion chamber. The days of crappy aftermarket kits appears to be over.

Very good job on the bevels.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Piston seems to be of very good quality. Yeah, I am surprised that it's so good.

Two different types of clips. No excuse for bending a clip out of shape.

The rings seem to be top shelf.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
3:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The plating is sweet, as it the squish band and combustion chamber. The days of crappy aftermarket kits appears to be over.

It seems you might be coming around to where I was, a year ago. The hyway kits are pretty nice. Some of the squish bands are a little loose even after base gasket delete. Also I have used several of the 200t Stihl kits about 9-10 months ago and the rings seem to loose compression after 50-60hrs of use. I literally did 3 of these in a row and identical builds. The all went from 150# to 120 after 3-4 weeks of use. Swapped the rings for cabers and the problem was solved on all three. Since then I just stick to ordering cabers with all hyways top ends. I have a giant box of hyway rings I won't ever use.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You don't like em like that cause they are hard to cut with a mandrel. You gotta start using your lathe.
I hate plating on the band. Takes about 3 minutes longer to cut them. I still don't like chucking them up in a lathe. I may play around with it more after I get the 2 last saws done. Just out of cylinders to play with now. I hate to try it on a good 66 jug.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It seems you might be coming around to where I was, a year ago. The hyway kits are pretty nice. Some of the squish bands are a little loose even after base gasket delete. Also I have used several of the 200t Stihl kits about 9-10 months ago and the rings seem to loose compression after 50-60hrs of use. I literally did 3 of these in a row and identical builds. The all went from 150# to 120 after 3-4 weeks of use. Swapped the rings for cabers and the problem was solved on all three. Since then I just stick to ordering cabers with all hyways top ends. I have a giant box of hyway rings I won't ever use.

Did the rings look like these?

Randy, squish and timing numbers? Determination on numbers and if they are good to run out of the box?

I don't have a 461 here to check it on right now. I shipped two out last week. There will be another thru before long, I do a lot of those saws.

I hate plating on the band. Takes about 3 minutes longer to cut them. I still don't like chucking them up in a lathe. I may play around with it more after I get the 2 last saws done. Just out of cylinders to play with now. I hate to try it on a good 66 jug.

I've been wanting to do a video on setting up, and cutting squish. It would be a 15 minute long video though. Who's gonna watch a video that is that long? o_O

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You need to. It would be like Scott's video cutting it with a mandrel.

SixGun

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just did an ms 460 and used a new Hyway kit. I agree that the quality is much improved right down to the bevels and casting flash.
Piston and rings looked like good quality also. Removed base gasket and squish is right at .023 , Ported muffler and saw runs great. Also I have seen a few Hyway kits recently with meteor pistons on Ebay .
Paul