High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

New Husqvarna 550xp MK-2 or older version MS 261-CM

Firewood

OPE Member
Local time
3:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well I planned on buying a 50cc saw, and this plan is being brought forward as a result of my CS 352 experience, that saw has me puzzled in how it is so easily effected by weather, altitude and may be even mix oil used.
I feel if a cloud comes over or you put it behind your back it changes tune, may be am listening too attentively to it.
So, the local dealer does not have the version 2 of the MS 261, that only leaves the new 550xp mk 2.
The Husky costs 665.00, the old 261 costs 30 more more at 695.00.
Still a bit timid about the AT and on a relatively untested new saw.
Whats your opinions on the new 550 mk2, not worried about the weight difference between the Husky and the Stihl as I won't be off the ground with them, and then there is the possibility of a 50cc echo, if I go this way it would be my third one of them, depending of course on what my Echo dealer will allow me on the 352, which distracts me to no end, the saw cuts very well, but we have different personalities.
I like constant repeatable functionality, not a different mood every so often.

Which between AT and MT copes best with differing oil mix ratios. I ask because am not the only one who will use this saw, and there is no guarantee it will get the 40: I plan on using.

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard question to answer. I know the 261 is a good saw with a proven track record. I will say this about the Husky mkII 550, every fault the old 550 had looks to be WELL addressed and not band-aided. I 'would' buy one if I had use for it. I get the feeling Husky got sick of losing sales due to reliability issues or perceived issues from folks reading reviews & their new saws reflect this, they want to change that market perception. The old 550xp is probably one of the best 50cc pro saws EVER made performance wise, but that isn't enough for pro users, reliability trumps most things & husky know this. As for oil ratio, provided you using a saw friendly 2T oil I think either saw would happily adjust to ratios between 32-60:1.

Last edited:

Firewood

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here we go :icon_popcorn:

These threads are pointless in my experience. Sorry @Firewood , nothing personal towards you. Whenever somebody wants to know which saw to choose, between a Husqy and Stihl, a *s-wordt show ensues.
Well am not interested in *s-word, only peoples opinions. Am sure @Mastermind or some of the modders may have some valuable information regarding the new 550 mk2, did he port one, did he dig into one to see what is good, or even bad, this is the kind of information people like to know, its about getting information to make an educated decision. I do not know anything about the new 550, but I was hoping that in some part of the world it would have been released long enough to at least ascertain if the old heating problem has indeed been cured, has the hot starting issue been resolved, how is the AT behaving in different parts of the world, hot cold high low, this information I would appreciate.
I am equally if not more interested in the version 2 261 as they have been around longer in other parts,
forgive me for asking, but I cant travel the planet to meet people in person so I don't upset anyone by asking in public.

Last edited:

Firewood

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Get both.
The Stihl is only available in the older version, no revision 2 to be had locally,
but if people were having more success with the version 2 Stihl, then I would seriously consider looking farther afield to get one, would be easier if Stihl would ship this stuff, instead of having to call in person.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Well am not interested in *s-word, only peoples opinions. Am sure Mastermind had some valuable information regarding the new 550 mk2, did he port one, did he dig into one to see what is good, or even bad, this is the kind of information people like to know, its about getting information to make an educated decision. I do not know anything about the new 550, but I was hoping that in some part of the world it would have been released long enough to at least ascertain if the old heating problem has indeed been cured, has the hot starting issue been resolved, how is the AT behaving in different parts of the world, hot cold high low, this information I would appreciate.
I am equally if not more interested in the version 2 261 as they have been around longer in other parts,
forgive me for asking, but I cant travel the planet to meet people in person so I don't upset anyone by asking in public.

You might need to wait a bit for solid opinions about the 550mkII as it just released. Your best option between the 2 saws is to get both. Run them like you stole em and decide for yourself. Then sell the one you don't like. Clean it up purty and you should get most of what you paid for it back.

Firewood

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As for oil ratio, provided you using a saw friendly 2T oil I think either saw would happily adjust to ratios between 32-60:1.
I used xp in the small echo, then noted it was for 55cc and up, maybe this is what
was causing my issues, with always a slight difference in tune, this oil would probably
be better suited to larger saws, I was going to up the oil ration but decided to leave well
be, it certainly got enough.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your best bet is to try both before you buy (at a gtg or friends who have them)... and pick the one you like the best.

Firewood

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Your best bet is to try both before you buy (at a gtg or friends who have them)... and pick the one you like the best.
There seems to be no 550 MK2 saw sold yet near me, they only came in this week, and I would say people will be shy enough after the problems with the previous generation 550.
And no GTG here, not many people employed in the forestry would care to show others their weapons of choice,
they wouldn't want one getting any ideas.
like the time I went to buy a new tig welder, all the pros I asked knew nothing about them, they knew enough not to let me in on the game because there would be less cake for them, small communities, I could say more but no point, times have changed, when neighbors were neighbors.

Last edited:

Nighthunter

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What part of Ireland are you in, I used a 261v1 in commercial thinnings and absolutely loved it with a 18" on it , I replaced it with a 560xp with a 15" on it and although its a lovely saw combo, it suffered from hot start problems, I'm going back to the 261 again. And I know the 560 and 550 are different saws, just giving my opinion on the 261
There seems to be no 550 MK2 saw sold yet near me, they only came in this week, and I would say people will be shy enough after the problems with the previous generation 550.
And no GTG here, not many people employed in the forestry would care to show others their weapons of choice,
like the time I went to buy a new tig welder, all the pros I asked knew nothing about them, they knew enough not to let me in on the game because there would be less cake for them, small communities, I could say more but no point, times have changed, when neighbors were neighbors.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sad when fellow folks won’t share they’re experience good or bad to benefit others.:(

Firewood

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Indeed, changed times, too many people just in it for themselves.

Firewood

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What part of Ireland are you in, I used a 261v1 in commercial thinnings and absolutely loved it with a 18" on it , I replaced it with a 560xp with a 15" on it and although its a lovely saw combo, it suffered from hot start problems, I'm going back to the 261 again. And I know the 560 and 550 are different saws, just giving my opinion on the 261
Am up in Donegal, I think the Stihl would be my choice with what I know so far, but I am not buying the older model with the newer version being out elsewhere, its like taking a step backwards.

Nighthunter

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm down in tipp myself, if you can find a v2 261 to handle and compare to the 550, also a thing to consider is your local dealer, there not all equal when it comes to support
Am up in Donegal, I think the Stihl would be my choice with what I know so far, but I am not buying the older model with the newer version being out elsewhere, its like taking a step backwards.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm down in tipp myself, if you can find a v2 261 to handle and compare to the 550, also a thing to consider is your local dealer, there not all equal when it comes to support

Why you don’t wanna import a 261 v2 from another European country?

I used the saw stock for a month. After i muffler mod it. Then I ordered Mastermind engine and bought a second from Mastermind.

You do have to remember 261 is the saw that the rest of new age Stihl line designed.
And already proven in the field.
Powerful, light what else you need at 50cc.

Husqvarna maybe very early to comment
And don’t forget their new 572 had so many problems & breakages that now it installed a small block plus few bits. Who would think a 6month old saw would be so problematic?
If you wanna get 550 leave some months to check if any problems occur as to many new designed saws.

Nighthunter

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why you don’t wanna import a 261 v2 from another European country?

I used the saw stock for a month. After i muffler mod it. Then I ordered Mastermind engine and bought a second from Mastermind.

You do have to remember 261 is the saw that the rest of new age Stihl line designed.
And already proven in the field.
Powerful, light what else you need at 50cc.

Husqvarna maybe very early to comment
And don’t forget their new 572 had so many problems & breakages that now it installed a small block plus few bits. Who would think a 6month old saw would be so problematic?
If you wanna get 550 leave some months to check if any problems occur as to many new designed saws.
we have the v2

rocco490

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would recommend buying a ported saw from here in the states seems like the usa market has better pricing than some countries and we have the newest version 261 and 550. As for which I think both will be great saws. Contact mastermind or one of the other porters for a price and ask which saw they recommend and buy from them if the price works good for you.......

rocco490

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Im crazy I like all the saws want to get them all! There all awesome that said be careful who is fueling your saw and what there running for fuel in it or your asking for issues thats any saw......