Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to add one more thing about the 070 that I forgot. Finding bars is kind of annoying. It uses a large 14mm bar stud. Therefore the price goes up on the bar cost. Plus I would highly recommend running a roller nose bar, I found them be leave a cleaner cut on slabs compared to hardnose.

As far as a build thread I don't know of one on this site for 070. The reason there is so much knowledge of the 660s here is there was a build off 4 years ago. There is another site that I know has a thread on it. But I'll PM some warnings on it.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI, I milled a good amount of Hickory and Oak with Asian 660s w/36" bars and my bars are still in good shape, so the Asian oilers are doing their job.

Very important to keep you chain sharp, and I use square file chain … I think it is much better for milling. Also, used wedges properly.

I start one on the end to keep the cut open, and as I get to the far end I pull the first wedge and use two (one on each side) close to the bar. When I cut through the end of the board, I want it to see saw on the wedges and free the bar.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I wrote that long post I was drinking, I'm surprised it was eligible. However I think it sums it up very well. But I would recommend a 660 again because finding bars is easier and cheaper. Plus then your stepson could run the same bars. Also be warned if you wanted to put an 090 clutch on a 070 the clutches are pricey. I got lucky and got mine from a seller in aussie land. I would also say be warned on the 090 jugs the plating. First one I had was thin it seized a saw. Now it wears a jug with the name New West. Seems the be much better quality.

When that 090 seized is also why I think replacing known to fail parts is a must have. I was mid cut felling a large maple and to add to that day there was a small piece of concrete in the tree. That's also why you keep backup saws on hand so thankfully I was able to finish and had to sharpen a lot of chains at the end of day.

But at the end of the day it's your choice I would just recommend taking another look at 660s for overall pricing.

EDIT: But if you can find bars you can also adapt the large mount to the regular stihl mount. So for your stepsons 066 he would just have to swap out sprocket to a 404. depending on bar drill a 2nd hole for oilier.(some come with two holes) If they come on sale I've been pleased with the 44" GB bar only thing that sucks is keeping it sharp. LOTS OF TEETH
I would recommend keeping a 36 and one larger on hand. Use the 36 most of the time until you need a larger one.

Last edited:

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A buddy of mine that I work with bought an 070 clone it has been run great for him with no problem that I kmow of. He used everything in the kit with no OEM parts, maybe he was just lucky and got a good kit.

In my opinion the 070 is a great milling saw it's just a little slower but makes up for it in torque if you want to run a longer bar.

At the one GTG they had a 6 ft bar that you could attach a power head one each end (two saw sharing the same chain). First they were using dual 090's then they switched them out for a pair of 661's. The 661's cut faster than the 090's did.

I guess you can use that for a guide as well. Do you want speed or power? That's my 2 cents.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why not buy a used saw to rebuild then?
What @drf256 said above is sound advice.
Party pooper.lol but yes sometimes it's best to go and buy a OEM saw but if cash is the issue maybe that's the case for him am might be just what he needs plus it will give him experience on how to build a saw I know I wished that there were kits out when I first started working on Saw's but nope had to learn on people's broken stuff.lol:beer-toast1:

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have no problem finding them lol
and always expect to rebuild when buying
but then you have a solid saw when done i have a 066 apart now oem and when done ill have less than 300 in
In Wa, you can't touch a 066 ms660 for less than$500 that's used and unless you go look at it in person and pull the muffler you have know idea what problems it's going to have so crap shoot I just rebuilt two ms460s they paid $450 each and they both needed a bunch of work so it a big gamble just saying.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
10:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as the 070/090 go’s the fuel is able to be filled in the cut and to fix the refilling issue for the oil I used a spare oil cap off a 08 parts saw. Drilled and tapped the cap for a threaded nipple so I could use my auxiliary oil tank for my big mill on the saw to keep tank full.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as the 070/090 go’s the fuel is able to be filled in the cut and to fix the refilling issue for the oil I used a spare oil cap off a 08 parts saw. Drilled and tapped the cap for a threaded nipple so I could use my auxiliary oil tank for my big mill on the saw to keep tank full.

I was wondering if this would work. Thanks for the info.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
10:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It works well and 08s oil caps are the same and easy to find, I tried this because I made a homemade ladder mill with square tube and a winch and didn’t want to pull the saw to put oil in.