MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The key is to make sure the object you're coating is extremely clean. I washed my screnches with dish detergent and then wiped them with rubbing alcohol. Then apply several light coats according to the directions and give the final coat ample time to dry/cure.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have about 20-30 different screnches from saw, brushcutter, blower and pole saw purchases. Some are really long, some are black some are shinny silver some are matt. Some have flat tips, X27, X25(Solo) etc. But I diffinately have my 'go to' screnches that make the cut and get to enter my tool grab bag. They are ones that have nice flat tip ends that are not to fat to fit into chain adjuster holes, they are not unnecessarily long. I keep about 5 screnches in my tool bag which covers everything.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone that has these have any updates on usage?

romdos

New OPE Member
Local time
5:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The scrench is probably the most widely recognized chainsaw tool. It is probably also the most frequently lost. While we could carry a separate wrench and screwdriver, few do. And if you look in catalogs, you will find dozens of variations of the classic 'T' style scrench, which is simple to use, but hard to fit in a pocket.

So I was interested in this flat, folding design offered by OTT (www.3ott.com). It consists of a machined aluminum handle, with a folding screwdriver, and a pivoting socket (13mm and 19mm) that fits the bar nuts on many saws.

View attachment 45853

The tool comes in 2 models: a standard version; and one with 3, rare earth magnets added to help keep the scrench handy and bar nuts from being dropped into deep grass, water, mud, . . .

In addition to folding flat to fit in your pocket, the scrench comes with 2 other 'harder-to-lose' features: a large hole for attaching it to a small carabineer or tether (not included); and reflective tape in high-viz orange or yellow, to make it easier to find, once dropped. Even in the dark.

The 'Hi-Viz Saw Wrench' feels well made and finished. It is made in the USA. The reflective tape looks like it is part of the tool, not just something stuck on afterwards.

The handle provides a larger, more comfortable grip than the screwdriver shaft of a standard scrench, and the pivoting socket lets you position it at a right angle for leverage, or in-line, like a nut driver, for starting the nuts.

View attachment 45854

Philbert

I just got one, and it's not all that great for the price. It took me waaaay longer to change the chain with this tool instead of the $3.00 Stihl scrench. The screwdriver flips sideways and won't stay straight so it's near impossible to tighten or loosen the chain unless you wanna do it in 45-90 increments. Also the magnet in the socket is so strong it flips the nut sideways so you can't use it to replace the nut, and if it does go into the socket, the only way to get it out is to rethread it onto the stud a few turns and pull the socket off the nut and then go ahead and remove the nut by hand. The magnet on the handle however is weaker and the nuts keep falling off while you're fiddling with the wonky screwdriver. It's a good idea, but the screwdriver needs to lock into place, and I would swap the magnets.

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have y’all looked at the newer ultra thin on their site? The screwdriver slide out the bottom and seems like it’s be better for grip and doesn’t fold up on you

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like the inventor of this thing never field tested it. Nice idea on paper but a faliure in actual practice.

I would not call it a 'failure'. It is definitely in a different price category than a generic scrench, and appeals to certain folks. Very well made and finished tool. Easy to carry. Hard to lose. Much nicer than the multi-tools (see earlier posts). Maybe as a 'carry scrench' versus a toolbox or workbench scrench.

There are other tools I have that I really like, even though, I could get by with a cheaper or more basic version. Nice present for a chainsaw geek!

Philbert

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A field scrench compared to a workshop scrench can be made much smaller. Out in the field working I don't want a long clumsy scrench I'd much prefer something that fits I your hand. Big enough to undo/tighten bar nuts, pop the clips on a cowling, tighten a chain and remove a spark plug. Long ones to reach cylinder bolts are not necessary, even in the shop I have better Wiha tools. A fold out compact scrench is a great idea, if I'm cutting up thin brush if the chain is not on the tighter side it want to derail easily, this is when I want a scrench that can stay with me in a pocket.