New, Flat Scrench

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need to make a Swiss army type tool go include more stuff. T-27, rail cleaner, carb screw driver,. Anything else???

Old joke about military planes that can't fly, because each service adds 'just a few more things' . . . .

Here is a portion of my 'scrench-like' tool collection, including an Oregon branded multi-tool. Like saws, each is different. Each might have certain advantages, for some tasks, on some saws. I think that the way to think about this wrench is task-specific for tensioning saw chain (and related tasks: swapping chains, etc.) in the field. Other tools maybe live in a pouch or tool box?

Philbert

IMG_5921.jpg

Motorhead

Cantre Member
Local time
7:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old joke about military planes that can't fly, because each service adds 'just a few more things' . . . .

Here is a portion of my 'scrench-like' tool collection, including an Oregon branded multi-tool. Like saws, each is different. Each might have certain advantages, for some tasks, on some saws. I think that the way to think about this wrench is task-specific for tensioning saw chain (and related tasks: swapping chains, etc.) in the field. Other tools maybe live in a pouch or tool box?

Philbert

View attachment 45969
Need more pockets for all those.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need more pockets for all those.
Yeah, maybe I can get one of those photography or fly-fishing vests to hold them all. Of course, the vest will have to be Kevlar lined, with hi-visibility striping, fall protection tie in loops, and meet Coast Guard flotation requirements . . . . (and maybe reversible to full camo?).

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The magnetic version is kind of interesting. At first, I only noticed the magnet on the side, for sticking the tool to a metallic surface (tool box, vise, guide bar, trailer frame, etc.) for convenience when working. But it has 2 more rare earth magnets in the socket, to reduce the chance of dropping and losing bar nuts when removing and installing them.

The magnets hold the nuts TIGHT. The manufacturer suggests that one bar nut can be stored in the socket, and one on the side magnet, when working on saws with 2 bar nuts. This requires removing the last few threads of the first bar nut by hand, because you will not be able to pull an unattached bar nut out of the socket by hand! I had to thread the nut on back onto the bar stud to pull it out of the socket, when experimenting with the tools. (Photo from product website).

bar nuts on magnets.jpg

Philbert

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert

View attachment 45969
Philbert, I don't see the T-27 Torx driver in your collection. Have you thrown away all your Stihl equipment and converted to Husqvarna? I suppose it might be buried in the multi-wrench. But, that won't loosen a cylinder bolt.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a few screnches with the T27 end (from STIHL brush trimmers?); some of the right angle T27 wrenches supplied with the saws; a few T27 screwdrivers and 6 inch driver bits; . . .

Didn't say that was a photo of my whole scrench collection!

But you bring up an interesting point about choices, design, and trade-offs: why didn't STIHL use a T27 head screw for the chain tension adjuster?

Philbert

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But you bring up an interesting point about choices, design, and trade-offs: why didn't STIHL use a T27 head screw for the chain tension adjuster?

Philbert
They had enough sense to realize that most screnches used flat blade screw drivers. Can you imagine the swear words that saw operators would use if that chain tension adjuster was a Torx? Gadfry!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need to make a Swiss army type tool go include more stuff. T-27, rail cleaner, carb screw driver,. Anything else???
Saw this one today at THD - has everything you asked for, for only $15!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Of course, it's huge (much larger than the Oregon branded tool, shown above - Post#41), weighs about ton, and will pull your pants down if you can fit it into a pocket. Might be a nice back-up type tool to throw in the truck or a saw case, just-in-case. But not exactly a direct replacement for a dedicated scrench type tool. And definitely not a 'slim profile' tool!

Philbert

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting multi tools! :)

I carry the regular 13/19-screw driver scrench and the small red carb screw driver along.
When I don't forget I also bring a piece of tin sheet strip along that I use for cleaning the bar groove, but it actually stays more often at home than it comes along with me.

I don't get the fuss regarding the spark plug!? o_O
Yes, my PS-6400 & PS-7900 have a bad habit of flooding upon the first cold start - but I adjusted my starting procedure to their behavior and since give them one pull without choke when cold. They surely will not start, but if they actually sound off they would have flooded with choke engaged.
This altered starting procedure ads an additional pull, but I have no more flooding issues and I haven't had the need to pull a plug in months.

Just saying, no disrespect or other harmful thoughts intended!
I'm simply curious regarding the flooding issues other members have with their saws.

Cheers :Saeufer:

Last edited:

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The scrench is probably the most widely recognized chainsaw tool. It is probably also the most frequently lost. While we could carry a separate wrench and screwdriver, few do. And if you look in catalogs, you will find dozens of variations of the classic 'T' style scrench, which is simple to use, but hard to fit in a pocket.

So I was interested in this flat, folding design offered by OTT (www.3ott.com). It consists of a machined aluminum handle, with a folding screwdriver, and a pivoting socket (13mm and 19mm) that fits the bar nuts on many saws.

View attachment 45853

The tool comes in 2 models: a standard version; and one with 3, rare earth magnets added to help keep the scrench handy and bar nuts from being dropped into deep grass, water, mud, . . .

In addition to folding flat to fit in your pocket, the scrench comes with 2 other 'harder-to-lose' features: a large hole for attaching it to a small carabineer or tether (not included); and reflective tape in high-viz orange or yellow, to make it easier to find, once dropped. Even in the dark.

The 'Hi-Viz Saw Wrench' feels well made and finished. It is made in the USA. The reflective tape looks like it is part of the tool, not just something stuck on afterwards.

The handle provides a larger, more comfortable grip than the screwdriver shaft of a standard scrench, and the pivoting socket lets you position it at a right angle for leverage, or in-line, like a nut driver, for starting the nuts.

View attachment 45854

Philbert
How much are those. I paint all my chit orange so I can se it

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stay old school and get $3 screnches... Then get a $4 spray can of your choice. Honestly I have found the Stihl brand Screnches were made the best with a little tighter tollerance on the 19mm/13mm hex heads.
Z36Eozfo5oy.JPG

or Forester sells them painted already.

s-l300.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stay old school and get $3 screnches... Then get a $4 spray can of your choice. . . .or Forester sells them painted already.
The orange-coated Forester is shown in my photo above (Post #41) - you can see where I had to grind off the 'wings' on the screwdriver part to fit into the side chain tensioner adjuster holes on several saws (see photos in Post #32).

I have tried a few things, including paint, colored heat-shrink tubing, etc. Based on recent, detailed testing (see photos in Post #14, above), if I wanted to make a conventional scrench more visible, I would look at some 3M reflective tape in a bright color. Sold at most hardware and auto parts stores.

Philbert

Last edited:

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used blaze orange Plasti-Dip on a few screnches and screwdrivers with better than average results. Seems to hold up a little better than paint and gives a better grip too.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used blaze orange Plasti-Dip on a few screnches and screwdrivers
Does the Plasti-Dip wear off with oil/grease contact? Many years ago I color coded a bunch of tools with it, and found the same color on my hands when working on car stuff. They might have changed the formula since then.

Philbert

Last edited: