New, Flat Scrench

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They should just make it in blaze orange or neon green. Much more normal colors.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the size & idea of putting it in your pocket perhaps attached to your belt with short cord. Screnches are terrible to carry in your pocket, I think these are good! I would love to carry a scrench and not have it in my tool grab bag.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wanted to try it on a bunch of different saws, so, after testing it on the mix of working and non-working saws that I could access at home, I stopped by a couple of local saw dealers to try it on their floor models, and get their input. I can't say that it will work on every saw (I did not have any full wrap handles to try it on), but it fit pretty much every saw I tried, including: consumer, mid range, and pro saws from a variety of manufacturers, and of different vintages, as long as they used the 13mm or 19mm bar nuts.

On some saws, the bar nuts are recessed deeper into the clutch covers, leaving little to no hand clearance, and requiring the handle to be tilted at a steeper angle. The wide 'stirrup' holding the pivoting socket might interfere with deep recessed covers on some saws. Compatibility can only be confirmed by trying the tool with a specific saw.

IMG_5905.jpg
IMG_5898.jpg

OTT provides special bar nuts described to provide 'more surface contact' with the magnetic socket. These bar nuts are noticeably taller than the OEM STIHL and Husky nuts, so they should help with deep recesses on clutch covers (unless they are 'captured' nuts).

IMG_5909.jpg

One thing that this scrench will not work on is spark plugs; the compact socket does not have a hole for the electrode to fit through, even if it did reach. So, if you pull your plugs frequently, you would need an additional tool, like a standard scrench, or an automotive type spark plug socket in your tool kit.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The small diameter screwdriver shaft fits through the clutch covers on many saws to reach the side-mounted, chain tension adjusting screw - I have had to grind some conventional scrench screwdrivers down to fit these holes. It will not work to clean the groove on your guide bar, but there are better tools for that anyway.

IMG_5902.jpg
IMG_5897.jpg
IMG_5903.jpg

It is interesting to note that some newer saws require a narrower screwdriver to adjust chain tension, and a wider one to release the sealed top covers. This challenge is not unique to this tool, but maybe indicative of reduced maintenance access expected with the spark plugs and air filters on newer saws.

IMG_5901.jpg

The wide body of the tool might be a issue with some front mounted chain tension adjustment screws, as it can be with a traditional scrench - this is a place where a conventional screwdriver works best IMO.

A feature that is easy to overlook is a small hole to fit the tang of a round chainsaw file. In other words, the scrench is designed to serve as a file handle as well (photos on web page).

Philbert

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
19mm not deep enough for spark plug?
That would be my concern also. Removing spark plugs would be impossible. The typical scrench can do this. However, the other features, look very good. A T-27 Torx may be on the horizon, but this design may not provide the require torque that you often need for M5 and M6 machine screws.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The spark plug factor is a bit of a killer IMO. Not that you need to undo your plug as much as bar fasteners, but let's face it modern saws flood quite easily and this tool to be a true success needs to exceed what a scrench can do not do less. I still like it but the spark plug issue is a biggie.