New addition to shop... advise needed.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
5:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A belt laced would do it. I have one. Somewhere. I use it to repair round bale belts. I’m not sure you’d want to dish out the money for one. A baler dealer could likely re lace it though call one.

weeks auto

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I use an old used automotive serpentine belt on mine. I hated the sound of the lacing on the leather belt. I have been using mine with the serp belt for 8 years. Cut the serp belt so there is 2" or so of overlap and the sand the ribs off one side and backing off the otherside. Then use regular old super glue and stick the overlaps together clamp it between two boards until cured. Its a cheap or free upgrade and you can take deeper cuts with the lathe with out the belt slipping.

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use an old used automotive serpentine belt on mine. I hated the sound of the lacing on the leather belt. I have been using mine with the serp belt for 8 years. Cut the serp belt so there is 2" or so of overlap and the sand the ribs off one side and backing off the otherside. Then use regular old super glue and stick the overlaps together clamp it between two boards until cured. Its a cheap or free upgrade and you can take deeper cuts with the lathe with out the belt slipping.

I HATE that sound as well. The belt on mine is poorly laced and worn so it is very noisy.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have used silk sutures to lace an old belt together on an old Farmall generator. Punched 12 small holes in each side and ran 10 or 12 loops (each tied off on the outside) through each set of holes. Then I did another set of 5 or 6 diagonally across to provide stability. I can’t speak to the longevity of the repair, to be honest, but I know it held up for well over a year.

The serpentine belt idea sounds pretty darn good.

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lacing is the OEM method and great if you intend on taking the belt on and off. The noise of the lacing hitting the pulleys got to me over the years so I glued it together. I used gorilla glue on mine. I just sanded the ends to a wedge shape to accept the glue and c-clamped between 2 blocks of wood.

The Model 9 is a good lathe. Do you have the Quick Change gearbox or Power Cross Feed? The 9C had neither, the 9B had the power cross feed and the 9A had both.

I have the cheaper 9C but it works for me, although I'm always on the lookout for a quick change gearbox that isn't priced like gold.

Here is a link to a manual put out by the Army about SB 9 and 10 inch lathes.

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/sb_army_lathe.pdf

A video on the 9C

Last edited:

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh man, a South Bend , havn`t used one since the early 70`s , we thought they were a great tool back then. Still a very solid built machine and great for a home one off production rig.

MarcS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice looking lathe!

Plenty of good advice on the belt already. Just a thought if you haven’t already done it, clean all the grit and old grease/oil out of everything, especially under the carriage-they are good at trapping a crazy amount of abrasive grit underneath.

This looked like a nice kit with new felt wipers, etc.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/152562953568

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lacing is the OEM method and great if you intend on taking the belt on and off. The noise of the lacing hitting the pulleys got to me over the years so I glued it together. I used gorilla glue on mine. I just sanded the ends to a wedge shape to accept the glue and c-clamped between 2 blocks of wood.

The Model 9 is a good lathe. Do you have the Quick Change gearbox or Power Cross Feed? The 9C had neither, the 9B had the power cross feed and the 9A had both.

I have the cheaper 9C but it works for me, although I'm always on the lookout for a quick change gearbox that isn't priced like gold.

Here is a link to a manual put out by the Army about SB 9 and 10 inch lathes.

http://www.opensourcemachinetools.org/archive-manuals/sb_army_lathe.pdf

A video on the 9C

Thanks for this post and link.
I have a 9-11-13 manufactured 9cy that I would like to give a good cleaning and go over one of these days.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was 12 - 13 years old first time I was shown and actually helped lace a big belt at the rotary turn down mill near me. The millwright took the time to make sure I would always remember how to lay out the holes and run the lacing properly. When properly laced the belts would run much quieter than the metal joiners, much nicer when the belt is just a few inches above your head. People were much shorter in general before my generation and everything in that overhead shaft mill was rather close to my head, even had to duck a good bit to go through the 5' 6" high doorways.

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 9-11-13 manufactured 9cy that I would like to give a good cleaning and go over one of these days.

9C 's were manufactured starting in 1939. Are you sure the 13 isn't a 43? The south Bend website shows first production of 9 inch lathes (the junior variety) in 1914.
Just curious. A serial number would confirm it. It is located at the far right end of the bed next to the fastening screws (see photo).
upload_2019-3-26_12-21-14.png

Here is the link to the SB Lathe Serial Number Page. Grizzly is the official Dealer for SB Lathes.
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=1617&tab=5
They will even send you the manufacturing data card for your lathe for a fee. (see Photo)
upload_2019-3-26_12-25-38.png
This lathe was delivered to one of my former employers in 1940. If memory serves me, it is still in use!