New 545/550xp saws

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honestly it feel similar to a 357xp to me, not comparing power, just the feel of the saw, I think this is why I like it with a 20".
The 550 feels like a 60cc saw? That statement is not exactly something that will sell me on the saw, and would be a big step backwards IMHO. A bit of added weight is fine to increase durability, but if it handles like a brick.[emoji51][emoji111]

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 550 feels like a 60cc saw? That statement is not exactly something that will sell me on the saw, and would be a big step backwards IMHO. A bit of added weight is fine to increase durability, but if it handles like a brick.[emoji51][emoji111]

The saw seems excellent to me Andre. Get one in your hands. You'll like it.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know exactly how to answer that, it does feel bigger then my 346, but not much different then my 2253 did. I just meant balance w the 20" on it, but a lot of that is probably the versa cut bar being very light. Hope this helps clarify
Yeah that sound's more like it.

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It handles very well I think. I haven’t tried it with anything shorter than an 18 so far. The saw is a nice saw by its own merits, but it is not as much lighter and more nimble than a 562 as one would expect.

Being the ocd saw hoe that I am, I have a lot of stuff to compare it to so it’s easy to get caught up in where it fits in against other saws. It doesn’t really check the box I thought it would, but it’s still a nice saw. For the “normal” user who has one, maybe two saws, it will make them a sweet little firewood saw. It has a pretty broad usable powerband, oils well, filters very well and so far has generally been a nice saw to use. Very easy starting too.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yup, "feels like a 357" isn't exactly a compliment or the direction we'd like to be going is it? LOL

Little heavier than a 346/550, but not what I'd describe as close to a 357 or 562 in weight. It kind of splits the difference which makes me think of it more as a modern 254XP. Not a bad thing. :)

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
6:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, "feels like a 357" isn't exactly a compliment or the direction we'd like to be going is it? LOL

Little heavier than a 346/550, but not what I'd describe as close to a 357 or 562 in weight. It kind of splits the difference which makes me think of it more as a modern 254XP. Not a bad thing. :)

Yeah a good thing it isn’t that different from a 560 surely being beefier
Than the mk1 was a safer option over here in Europe as others will agree
There will be more units sold over the other models

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's exactly what I was hoping for from it, I really enjoy running the 254's.
I plan to use mine as my primary saw this year for all my firewood. soon as it gets ported and returned, we will see how it does.
It should be a nice firewood saw in stock form, even more fun ported.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
's

We might all be a little on edge right now. But @Johnmn "s post also showed us there's a way to expand a discussion without taking shots at what's already being discussed or the people doing it. And there was no preaching about he knows better and anyone who doesn't agree with him doesn't get it.

The reason most Husky vs Stihl deals go off the rails and get nasty is because of the guys who simply won't follow those basic rules of respect and courtesy. Criticizing a saw that you'd never buy anyway cause it's not "your brand" is not participating in the thread as much as an unnecessary shot across the bow of the other side. Comments like "I'd never buy that saw cause I don't like the way they designed the throttle link" from a guy who wouldn't buy that brand in a million years is awful transparent. That type of stuff is garbage.

And let's be honest, there are guys on both sides who enjoy stirring the pot. It's their intention to ignite some conflict and watch it blow up. Total BS, and what's more, they would never make those comments or act that way in person at a GTG, cause it's not cool to go around telling guys their saws are junk. Especially if they are bigger than you. But at home behind the keyboard, it's OK to act like a jerkoff. They those of us who'd rather not deal with this crap get drawn into it to defend our turf and all hell breaks loose. And people like me and Dallas who would never otherwise have cross words are slugging it out like we did a couple weeks ago.

It ain't hard. Respect the other member and what he runs. Don't take shots at someone else's saws and then be surprised when he doesn't like your comment. Don't preach that you got it all figured out. Don't pound on people who don't agree with you. They are entitled to think for themselves. Post the same way you'd be talking with each other face to face, cause there's more mutual respect vs throwing out a comment to someone who lives 5 states away. Bad habits get bad results. For the forum to get better, all we gotta do is treat each other better.

Qtla and best answer material. I like to keep the sentiments expressed here simple: Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes Bob a 254 is a better choice to describe it! But smoother handling.

Yeah, night and day on the vibes, right? It's funny when you've been running the new stuff and then you go back to the rubber mount saws they seem to vibrate more than you remember.

taplinhill

Hiding behind the Chainsaws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, night and day on the vibes, right? It's funny when you've been running the new stuff and then you go back to the rubber mount saws they seem to vibrate more than you remember.

So, it's like a 2055?
It took everyone 20 years to catch up with the last true Jonsereds?
Don't get me wrong, I'll probably get a 550xpgII. I just want to make sure they hold up. No offense to anyone, but Bob's 346 lovin' tree guy is the one I'd like to talk to in a year or so.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What nobody has asked Eric, and no I do NOT have the answer. The original 550/2253 chassis now goes away. As will the 2252 with the red max decals. Will there be.................:)

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think they should give any more saws to RM. They aren't even selling as well as the Jonsereds they replaced. This entire "Full Line" experiment with Red Max is going to be a flop and will likely be over in another couple years. It's such a far fetched idea I can't believe they actually gave it the green light.

taplinhill

Hiding behind the Chainsaws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I was talking to a local logger who has run Jonsered 2172's for several years. His current fleet is in need of replacement and the one dealer who stuck with RedMax was showing him the 7100. He thinks there knock-offs and the way the gossips, I mean loggers, are around here, that will become fact and no one will touch them. He's leaning toward "them new x-tune saws".

weisskopf

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
now I made about 10 hours on the 545 mark II.

Conclusions:

- I can feel the slightly more power over the previous 545
- the starting warm and cold is very good - but I never met any heat problems on the previous 545
- the airfilter holds any dust (dry wood, hard wood etc.) back until now. The crossing between the filter and manifold is also 100% sealed.

I am very pleased til now with the saw and the handling/observations in the wood.