New 545/550xp saws

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought Bob was done with mail orders?

Bob is done shipping parts. Don't mind sending out a few saws to members. Not a big deal; just one box with one item in it. Plus, I know I can usually save members some money on saws. There's no money to be saved buying a $7 clutch spring, so best to just get it local. I still send out a few top end kits, but that's about it.

Being a parts supplier is much better suited to guys like Bruce an Dave who are focused on that part of the business. Sounds easy, just put a few parts in a box and send it out. But we have a very busy store here and there's not a couple hours a day to do parts orders. And we don't have a site with a shopping cart to click things into, and pay pal and what not, so we're not even set up for it properly. The idea initially was to help guys with older saw projects for which we have a fair amount of NLA parts. But these sites, and those goofy videos I do with Walt quickly multiplied things to a nutty level.

I try to maintain separation between the hobby and business sides of the saw world, and it's not easy without some discipline. I never bring customer saws home to work on, nor do I bring my own projects into the store. I do appreciate guys wanting to send some business my way, but I want to come to these sites and hang out with friends, not to work. Ya know the old saying, about mixing business and pleasure. :)

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Bob, 1 550xpg headed to PA, this saw is going to get a MM and that's the only mod I plan on doing till I get some time on the saw, so probably be that way for a good while.
So is it possible to do a muffler mod for gains without making the saw uncomfortably loud. I realize it will get some louder but is there some in between place where you can get some gains & still not getvto offensive with noise? I know very little about this, never done a mm hence the question.

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The oem 20” .325 balances real nice on the mark 2 550xpg. No fluids it’s level, wet it is slightly handle heavy. I put a tank through one yesterday. Pretty nice little saw. I dropped a big oak stem and limbed/bucked it all with it. Did really well I thought. It’s noticeably larger physically than the original 550. It’s right between an oe 550 and a 562 for size.

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if the versa cut bar will balance any better? It has the alluminum core with steel rails, prob the lightest bar for the money I have found. It feels like about a 16" regular weight bar to me.
Sometimes too light of a bar feels worse to me but balance is very much a preference thing. I’m sure it will be fine.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, took one home last night. They got it right this time. :) It truly is a mini 572. One change is that the soft air filter sealing is on the filter, not the filter holder. So, every time you change the filter, you get a fresh seal. I suppose if there's any chance of the seal material losing it's softness over time, this is a good solution. The saws come with 2nair filters, 25 micron nylon and mesh, which is generally 34 micron, but easier to clean IMO. Nylon filters are hard to clean without compressed air.

By coincidence, we have a tree crew taking down some hazard ash trees out back of the shop today that are threatening the school buses and drivers. So I gave it to them to play with all day, and get some time on it. Saw has a nice snarl to the exhaust note. One pull restart every time. In the dry ash I was cutting last night, I reset the oiler to the high position. This oiler isn't as generous as the 572, as you'd expect. They design the oilers for 50cc, 60cc, and 70cc chassis saws. So the 572 is dumping plenty for a 20" bar at the med setting, but the 50cc ought to be set at high for 18"-20" bars.