trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
12:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got this 360 that's supposedly got bearing issues, but spins pretty freely. Was tearing it down to inspect bearings, went to take clutch off and no go. First one ever. Tried the air impact gun, even put it on high, didn't budge it. It's got new springs, so I know it came off at one time. My question is, can I heat up the clutch without causing damage to the clutch or crank? First time so I'll ask before I do. Thanks.

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TOO hot and you may damage the seal and/or worm gear

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just heat the clutch carrier quickly with a torch, hit it with a 1/2' drive impact full out, about two ticks and that clutch better come off, otherwise its welded on. I keep a heavily water soaked rag right beside the saw to immediately cool the crank stub after loosening the clutch carrier, done many and have never ruined a seal.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just want to add, you want to expand the clutch carrier not the crank stub so keep the heat back away from the crank end, heat travels really fast so have everything ready and do it all in a well timed quick movement.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How strong is your impact? Might want to try a stronger one.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d wrap a wet rag around it. Under the clutch ya know. Keep the crank itself as cool as you can.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir! If that dosent loosen it after a soak a bigger impact or cutting torch will be needed. I cant imagine a 1/2 impact with 150psi shouldnt be enough to snap the crank into
My 300ft lb Milwaukee impact almost couldn’t get a 394 clutch off one time. That sucker was on there.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
heat-soak-heat summore- soak- impact

I would not be worried about a $8 oil worm or a seal that's gotta come out anyway....
couple of heat and soak cycles have always worked for me....and some patience for the soaking part.

oh and making sure im reversed in the impact gun has helped me through some cursing.... :confused:

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well some heat worked. I tried the penetrating oil but I think I didn' give it time to work fully. Impatient sucker I am.

Hell I’ve never been close to 150 psi on a air gun. Mine all kick out at 120. Never had a clutch that wouldn’t come.

Same here, mines on 125 and I've never had one not come off. Maybe next time I will bump it up to 150. Yeah, the seals came out. But it worked fine, second time I put heat on it. Everything else is cool. Come to find out, the connecting rod is shot so all that worry for n thin really...:)