Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys-

I'm looking for ideas on my Bushmaster XM-15 carbine. I bought it new at a gun show in 1994 just prior to the Clinton era assault weapons ban. I'm thinking about stepping up in caliber with a conversion or making more of a tack driver with a competition heavy barrel and floating hand guard. What are your guys' thoughts? I've read good and bad about the .300 Whisper/Blackout conversions as well as the .458 SOCOM. It has the carry handle AR-2 upper so I'll convert that to a flat top for sure.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
2:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of these day's i'm going to build a 300 blackout topend for one of mine.
The ones I've shot have been impressive in target shooting.
Some guy's do short range deer hunting 80 yds etc.
And brag on it the ammo can be found fairly reasonable with a decent selection.
I will handload for mine.
It's a fun controllable round to shoot.
Sometimes a complete psa upper is under 300.00

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't overlook the 6.5 Grendel.

I was looking at the 6.5mm Grendel just this morning and there's some complete uppers available with the bolt carrier for under 4 bills.

458 socom I've never seen. The 300 is great if you ever get to use a suppressor. Some of the PSA uppers shoot great for a good price.
One of these day's i'm going to build a 300 blackout topend for one of mine.
The ones I've shot have been impressive in target shooting.
Some guy's do short range deer hunting 80 yds etc.
And brag on it the ammo can be found fairly reasonable with a decent selection.
I will handload for mine.
It's a fun controllable round to shoot.
Sometimes a complete psa upper is under 300.00

I've been thinking about the .300 Blackout for a long time. Now I need to build two rifles... :)

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never shot the grendel but the socom has quite the thump to it.
The guy's i know said it was to pricey for componets etc.
They shoot idpa threegun and run 223/556 because of cost.
Hell i haven't shot my ars in two year's lol
We used to shoot every week and travel to idpa shoots too much time and money now.
Might get them out and shoot some this weekend.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you reload JJ?

300 and 6.5 generally are available at almost all decent gun shops, rarely do I see 458 SOCOM on a shelf. Around here 450 Bushmaster is the goto big bore chambering in AR's, primarily because we can use that round for deer around here.

I got a 450 Bushmaster this past winter. I debated back and forth about going 458 or 450. I ultimately decided on 450 because of the ease of finding rounds if needed. I reload a majority of my stuff, so finding factory ammo wasn't a huge deal breaker, but being able to pick it up off the shelf anywhere is nice.

If you reload the 458 is both wonderful and a royal PITA. I've been told that getting proper neck tension sucks because of the short bottleneck. But one really nice part about the 458 is that bullets are everywhere. You will never have issues finding bullets. Unlike the 450 Bushmaster where there is a very small selection of bullets available for rifle velocity.

2stroke800

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^this^^^ do you reload? There are lots of good calibers for the ar platform. But the majority are fairly hard to find ammo wise (if not damn near impossible in some places) and can get pretty expensive if you shoot a lot. Reloading is the only way to go with most of these. My fave rounds in the ar platform (other than 223/5.56 which is still my fave) is the 5.45x39 rnd because its cheap as *s-word, accurate, and all the milsurp ammo is steel core. Zaps sweet little holes in everything! Haha!! Just dont swiss cheese your friends steel targets, they get all butthurt about it. Hahaha!! Other fave is the 450 bushmaster, cause its a thumper! I shoot prolly 30,000-40,000rnds of 223/5.56 a year and it is still my fave :)

But my "suggestion" would be to stick with 223/5.56 and build (or buy) a new upper for some better accuracy. I have set up a bunch of them in many many lengths and barrel diameters. From 7" pistol barrels to 29" waaayyy too expensive barrels, and from thin light carbon fiber pencil barrels to fatty 1.25" bull barrels. And literally everything in between. Haha! Time and time again the most consistent dead nuts accurate setup is a chrome lined 18"x1" 1in7 twist fluted bull barrel drilled for midlength gas system, on a billet upper, with a carbon fiber freefloat handguard, and one of the smallest low profile gas blocks available. Then use quality 62-72gr ammo and you will quickly become bored with the ar platform because it is soo accurate, its almost not fun anymore. Haha! I have built 8 different uppers in this same way with various different aftermarket brands for parts and they consistently outshoot much longer and much more expensive "match" grade uppers. Every time i build myself one, i let a friend shoot it and they freak out and have to have it. Soo then i make myself another one... ha! With all of them so far ya can stack a 30rnd mag on a golf ball at 100yrds literally as fast as your finger can pull the trigger. And also the same on a clay pigeon at 300yrds. Taking your time its not hard at all to put multiple shots thru one hole, make smiley faces, write your name, etc.. I am currently without one but just ordered a new barrel the other day to start another one. Lucky number 9!! Maybe ill keep this one!!!

Last edited:

CrufflerJJ

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
...snip...
Time and time again the most consistent dead nuts accurate setup is a chrome lined 18"x1" 1in16 twist fluted bull barrel drilled for midlength gas system, on a billet upper, with a carbon fiber freefloat handguard, and one of the smallest low profile gas blocks available. Then use quality 62-72gr ammo
...snip...

1:16 twist with 62-72gr bullets??? Sounds a bit under-stabilized, even for lighter bullets.

stihl here

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^this^^^ do you reload? There are lots of good calibers for the ar platform. But the majority are fairly hard to find ammo wise (if not damn near impossible in some places) and can get pretty expensive if you shoot a lot. Reloading is the only way to go with most of these. My fave rounds in the ar platform (other than 223/5.56 which is still my fave) is the 5.45x39 rnd because its cheap as *s-word, accurate, and all the milsurp ammo is steel core. Zaps sweet little holes in everything! Haha!! Just dont swiss cheese your friends steel targets, they get all butthurt about it. Hahaha!! Other fave is the 450 bushmaster, cause its a thumper! I shoot prolly 30,000-40,000rnds of 223/5.56 a year and it is still my fave :)

But my "suggestion" would be to stick with 223/5.56 and build (or buy) a new upper for some better accuracy. I have set up a bunch of them in many many lengths and barrel diameters. From 7" pistol barrels to 29" waaayyy too expensive barrels, and from thin light carbon fiber pencil barrels to fatty 1.25" bull barrels. And literally everything in between. Haha! Time and time again the most consistent dead nuts accurate setup is a chrome lined 18"x1" 1in16 twist fluted bull barrel drilled for midlength gas system, on a billet upper, with a carbon fiber freefloat handguard, and one of the smallest low profile gas blocks available. Then use quality 62-72gr ammo and you will quickly become bored with the ar platform because it is soo accurate, its almost not fun anymore. Haha! I have built 8 different uppers in this same way with various different aftermarket brands for parts and they consistently outshoot much longer and much more expensive "match" grade uppers. Every time i build myself one, i let a friend shoot it and they freak out and have to have it. Soo then i make myself another one... ha! With all of them so far ya can stack a 30rnd mag on a golf ball at 100yrds literally as fast as your finger can pull the trigger. And also the same on a clay pigeon at 300yrds. Taking your time its not hard at all to put multiple shots thru one hole, make smiley faces, write your name, etc.. I am currently without one but just ordered a new barrel the other day to start another one. Lucky number 9!! Maybe ill keep this one!!!
You should enter one of those AR's in a few bench rest matches. Sounds like you could teach those guys a thing or two.

2stroke800

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1:16 twist with 62-72gr bullets??? Sounds a bit under-stabilized, even for lighter bullets.
Oops, typo.. haha!! Supposed to say 1in7 twist. I edited the post. Good catch tho!! Haha! Worked a 14 hr day yesterday and had 1in16 on the brain from my .22 bolt gun ive been fiddling with lately.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jacob J., your XM-15 is an original Windham made Bushmaster and has a loyal following. It would probably sell for more than a new one would today. I would sell or trade it on the rifle you really want, which will come with a warranty and factory service if you should ever need it. Likewise, if you ever had to sell it would bring a much higher price than a home built rifle.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It shouldn't be a problem to just drop an upper onto your existing lower. Of course, I suspect you would want upgraded fire control parts and a more comfortable stock to realize it's full potential. At that point, you may as well sell or trade the Bushmaster and get what you really want.

Chainganger

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score

But my "suggestion" would be to stick with 223/5.56 and build (or buy) a new upper for some better accuracy. I have set up a bunch of them in many many lengths and barrel diameters. From 7" pistol barrels to 29" waaayyy too expensive barrels, and from thin light carbon fiber pencil barrels to fatty 1.25" bull barrels. And literally everything in between. Haha! Time and time again the most consistent dead nuts accurate setup is a chrome lined 18"x1" 1in7 twist fluted bull barrel drilled for midlength gas system, on a billet upper, with a carbon fiber freefloat handguard, and one of the smallest low profile gas blocks available. Then use quality 62-72gr ammo and you will quickly become bored with the ar platform because it is soo accurate, its almost not fun anymore. Haha! I have built 8 different uppers in this same way with various different aftermarket brands for parts and they consistently outshoot much longer and much more expensive "match" grade uppers. Every time i build myself one, i let a friend shoot it and they freak out and have to have it. Soo then i make myself another one... ha! With all of them so far ya can stack a 30rnd mag on a golf ball at 100yrds literally as fast as your finger can pull the trigger. And also the same on a clay pigeon at 300yrds. Taking your time its not hard at all to put multiple shots thru one hole, make smiley faces, write your name, etc.. I am currently without one but just ordered a new barrel the other day to start another one. Lucky number 9!! Maybe ill keep this one!!!

Ok let's have an actual parts list with suppliers!

2stroke800

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok let's have an actual parts list with suppliers!

A parts list with suppliers?? Come on now! Haha!! The post you quoted has all of the parts listed. If you want me to be brand specific on the parts i listed, give me a ballpark on how much $$ u want to spend. Nowadays there are about 100,000 different companies making AR parts and accessories. And all priced from dirt cheap to crazy expensive. Some are worth the extra cost, and other parts the cheap stuff is every bit as good as the expensive stuff. I listed the parts that build the most accurate ar's i personally have ever shot. But the brands i have used are all over the map just depending on what was available at the time of purchase. As for suppliers, get on brownells.com or midwayusa.com and see what they have in stock, and go from there based on your budget.

If this reply didnt suit you, tell me your budget and ill make u a brand specific parts list of parts that are currently in stock thru distributors.

ARPILOT

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
just my $.02 here..... for an easy inexpensive way to convert your standard 223 rifle into something new to play plink hunt and or suppress.... going to 300 Black Out only requires a barrel change (assuming the barrel you buy comes w/gas block)photo-50.jpg

stihl here

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never stacked a 30rnd mag on a golf ball at 100yrds literally as fast as your finger can pull the trigger or the same on a clay pigeon at 300yrds with any of mine, but the 300 Blackout is an excellent subsonic round for those of us who are stamp collectors. Unlimited supply of cheap brass and very stingy with powder.

Last edited:

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are looking to shoot some comps, build another upper and use your existing lower. The only thing I would change in the lower would be the trigger, Geissele SSA-E. As mentioned, that rifle has some value vs a standard AR.

A Mega upper receiver, 18"-20" 1/8 twist .223 Wylde barrel(I use AR15 Performance barrels that are great for the price. If you are looking for sub moa, contact Compass Lake Eng) with matching bolt and a high quality handguard(like a BCM) would shoot great with 69-77gr bullets from a factory mag. Those setups can get you to 400yds easy, 600yds will start to test your shooting skills but it can be done.

I will add some 6.5g info later on..

I would not choose the 300blk or 458 for any thing past 200yds, those are CQB rounds and drop like a mortar.