Need new handheld leaf blower

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m looking for a new handheld leaf blower,what is your recommendations. I have a Dolmar 4 cycle backpack blower I like vert well,does a great job. Want a small handheld for quick jobs and to blow out gutters. Suggestions ?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not all brands make all products well but Stihl handhelds are pretty decent and IMO better than other offerings. They have a commercial grade BG-86 & homeowner BG-56. The build quality is exactly the same, the crankcase/cylinder share the same part no's, but the ignition module is different that gives the BG-86 slightly more speed which is not really noticeable in the real world. The BG-86 is heavier as it has AV springs, it also has a HD-II air filter. I own both models & reccomend you get the bg-56 and save some money, its lighter, built with many of the same parts, comes out of the same Vaginia beach facility and basically makes the same power. Just don't use them with the option able vaccum bag & they will have long service lives. The upgrades on the more expensive bg-86 are not worth the big price increase and make it heavier.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very pleased with my Echo PB-250LN. The LN means "low noise" but honestly it doesn't make much of a difference. It is as strong as any other handheld blower I've tried and has typical Echo quality. They sell for $140-150.00 local retail but I got mine from an overstock place on Fleabay for $110.00 total right to my door. Made in the USA too. For the use you describe I couldn't imagine a better choice.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I’m looking for a new handheld leaf blower,what is your recommendations. I have a Dolmar 4 cycle backpack blower I like vert well,does a great job. Want a small handheld for quick jobs and to blow out gutters. Suggestions ?

You have a MM4 back pack....MM4 Makita/Dolmar hand held would be worth thinking about.

Photo1196.jpg

Last edited:

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have a MM4 back pack....MM4 Makita/Dolmar hand held would be worth thinking about.

View attachment 132975
Yes I like that but I need to be able to rotate it all directions to clean out the gutters. Wondering how well it would oil pointed straight up?

I like the looks of the RedMax just a little pricey.

Very pleased with my Echo PB-250LN. The LN means "low noise" but honestly it doesn't make much of a difference. It is as strong as any other handheld blower I've tried and has typical Echo quality. They sell for $140-150.00 local retail but I got mine from an overstock place on Fleabay for $110.00 total right to my door. Made in the USA too. For the use you describe I couldn't imagine a better choice.
Is this the model that just has one adjustment screw? Don’t want to get one I can’t adjust.

Not all brands make all products well but Stihl handhelds are pretty decent and IMO better than other offerings. They have a commercial grade BG-86 & homeowner BG-56. The build quality is exactly the same, the crankcase/cylinder share the same part no's, but the ignition module is different that gives the BG-86 slightly more speed which is not really noticeable in the real world. The BG-86 is heavier as it has AV springs, it also has a HD-II air filter. I own both models & reccomend you get the bg-56 and save some money, its lighter, built with many of the same parts, comes out of the same Vaginia beach facility and basically makes the same power. Just don't use them with the option able vaccum bag & they will have long service lives. The upgrades on the more expensive bg-86 are not worth the big price increase and make it heavier.
Yes I had a BG 56 liked it very well. My daughter borrowed it and still has it.
Wondering how much they changed in 10 years.
Thanks for the replies.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yes I like that but I need to be able to rotate it all directions to clean out the gutters. Wondering how well it would oil pointed straight up?

I like the looks of the RedMax just a little pricey.

Is this the model that just has one adjustment screw? Don’t want to get one I can’t adjust.

Yes I had a BG 56 liked it very well. My daughter borrowed it and still has it.
Wondering how much they changed in 10 years.
Thanks for the replies.
I have had no problems using them in most positions (not had any need to run upside down )...also remember that it is a "blower- vac " and was always going to need to be multi positional.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mine has the high speed adjustment covered with a plastic plug that is easily drilled out, and the usual idle speed throttle stop screw. I don't know if the low speed is adjustable or not, these rotary carbs are a different breed. I will say that I have never felt the need to adjust it on the three Echoes I have with this type of carb, the low speed seems well adjusted from the get go.

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine has the high speed adjustment covered with a plastic plug that is easily drilled out, and the usual idle speed throttle stop screw. I don't know if the low speed is adjustable or not, these rotary carbs are a different breed. I will say that I have never felt the need to adjust it on the three Echoes I have with this type of carb, the low speed seems well adjusted from the get go.

if there is a adjustment it is in the center of the barrel. there are two set up. 2.5mm small limiter cap and then you will need a 2.5mm flat head. some also use the micro d carb tool

Reedo

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
HuskyMax? That is a phrase I haven’t heard yet. I can’t speak for anything besides the 525BX and 580BTS but they are my current favorites I own a few BG 86’s and four BR 600’s also.

Tjstampa

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I recently purchased a husky 125bvac handheld fro m cop-outlets. It was factory reconditioned. So far the best handheld blower I have used and cheaper than the Stihl. I bought it for gutters.