Need advice Stihl 020 bar and chain

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The weight on Stihl 3005 mount 14" 3/8picco laminated bars are; Light 373grams or 13.1oz / Regular 502grams or 17.7oz. I can weigh 10" & 12" lights and regulars too in Stihl bars. Terry as the Stihl bars have the details kinda etched into the side of bar at mount end, even when the paint is removed under good light you can tilt the bar back & forth to reveal the details. If it was the original 020 b/c my guest is its 3/8 050....0.43 was later introduce as a narrow kerf option for pole saws and low output saws. I got a bunch of N1 Carlton chain (semi chisel) so I could make up a chain or two, if you really want PS/PS3 I could dig something out. Just let us know what you need & it'll be on its way, same price as what we paid for your carb insights...zip.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for all the help guys. The saw is in his truck and he's been gone all day out to his dad's farm.

I had 'casually' looked at the saw the last time he brought over some wood. I was looking for anything on the bar that could give me a hint. There was nothing, I'd never seen a bar without markings. I don't know what he got the bar off of to adapt it to his saw.

I'm going to have to think up some excuse to get my hands on his saw. Perhaps his wife could slip it out and bring it over while he's working in the shed. Hmm, maybe I could say I got access to some small chain, but I need to know what he's running. - This is turning into some covert action story.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well if its lo pro the sprocket on the bar will have flat sprocket ends instead of points that full 3/8 has. Quater inch usually have small noses and are 0.43 gauge. Their was a .325 sprocket available for the ms200t but was rarely sought after, most were sold from the shelf with 12" 3/8 050 Picco setups.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for that, I've got to get the saw and take a good hard look at it with my vernier calipers just in case.

He's the type of bloke that wouldn't expect anything for cutting the wood that I needed. In fact, he'd probably object to me planning on getting him the bar, all the more reason he should get a new bar and chains.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it is, I know he's had it a long time and it was used when he got it. I'll see if I can get access to it today.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally, what a bit mucking around telling little white lies. It is an older 020AV with 1/4" chain and .050" drive links.

OK, is there a light weight 1/4" bar available for these things? Or, maybe a lightweight upgrade. He said the chain is getting hard to find, so maybe a newer bar and chain that cuts just as fast and makes it easier to find chain.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
7:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think there's any lightweight bars in 1/4", but there is a picco sprocket available for these that would allow for a modern Stihl lightweight bar/chain combo.

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an 020avs that has 14" picco setup. Absolutely RIPS and is a blast to cut with. Don't be afraid to convert to a but larger.

That said, of your neighbor has a bunch of spare 1/4" chains already, you'd be making those trash...

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
but there is a picco sprocket available for these that would allow for a modern Stihl lightweight bar/chain combo.

OK, looks like it is narrowing down. So I get him another clutch drum with the picco sprocket, a lightweight picco bar and a couple of chains. Have I got it right?

For the bar I would need a 14" E Light Bar in .050 guage.

Last edited:

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That said, of your neighbor has a bunch of spare 1/4" chains already, you'd be making those trash...

He bought a couple of spare chains from the local Stihl dealer a few months ago. The dealer charged him $120 for each chain (you know, because it is rare chain). I think he would be happy to have a more modern chain.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
10:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He bought a couple of spare chains from the local Stihl dealer a few months ago. The dealer charged him $120 for each chain (you know, because it is rare chain). I think he would be happy to have a more modern chain.
OMG! That is just outright highway robbery... Are you looking to fix him up with 14" or 16"? Plenty of options for LP 3/8 out there. Would this use the same spur as say, an ms-200?

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, looks like it is narrowing down. So I get him another clutch drum with the picco sprocket, a lightweight picco bar and a couple of chains. Have I got it right?

For the bar I would need a 14" E Light Bar in .050 guage.
Need to source a drum (easy) and oil pump gear. I've made some enquiries.

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need to source a drum (easy) and oil pump gear. I've made some enquiries.

Oh that's right... the oil pump gear has to match, too... I might have one... hang on a minute...

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the one I have. Can someone more awake than me confirm that this is the correct one. (Now that I'm thinking about it... is the oiler gear really different?)

Anyway... if you need this one, it's yours. Oh... you're down undah... what's the shipping look like from the states? PM me if you need it. I haven't shipped anything internationally in 10+ years...

Me go sleepy now.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're right, mini means 043. Photos vs descriptions of bars never seems right.

That oil pump gear is nla from stihl Aus. So are drums, but there are farmertec versions on eBay.